BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot

Well, I don't mind that minorities get more representation in movies - I don't even watch very much of what Hollywood produces. However, you could make the point that if whitewashing isn't okay, then it is not okay to change historically white characters to other races either.

Like I said, I wouldn't really mind a black Buffy, but as a Scandinavian, I did think the black Heimdall was a bit silly.
Did you like Elba in the movies?

Are you counting me among those people?
No, sir.
I had only put your name in an earlier post in regards to the importance/(lack of) of the race of the character.
I've read your other posts in here, i know you're not saying what a lot of these other guys in here are saying

Well, I don't mind that minorities get more representation in movies - I don't even watch very much of what Hollywood produces. However, you could make the point that if whitewashing isn't okay, then it is not okay to change historically white characters to other races either.

Like I said, I wouldn't really mind a black Buffy, but as a Scandinavian, I did think the black Heimdall was a bit silly.
I don;t mind white washing or white saviours in movies. I GET why hollywood does it.

It is just this inane caterwauling from crying white males each and every time it goes the other way in one out of a hundred instances. Then we get this type of derailing crocodile tears of 'make it stop, 'give me my safe space',.

Do we know why most actresses are super beautiful and mostly white women? Have we fooled ourselves into believing that white beautiful women have a near monopoly on good acting and that is why they raise to the top? Why most sitcom dumpy husband has a gorgeous wife?

I hope we are not that gullible. Beautiful women and particularly beautiful white women get an edge and most roles because they are pandering to the male desire to see beautiful women. They know it sells better. It is almost all pandering. ALL. so this selective outrage rings of one thing and one thing only. MMGA, Make Movies great again and we know what that is code for.

(And for the record I hate hijacking threads with this shit. I am ok with all pandering (pick an audience and pander and sell away) but I simply cannot, NOT reply when people pretend this pandering is unique and new and only to the benefit of ethnics or women)

Last edited:
I want two things: 1.Sarah Michelle as a female Nigel

2. No "vampires and demons are actually a metaphor for toxic masculinity and patriarchy" horse shit. Demons are demons and vamps are vamps.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot in the Works with Showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen

FcpG1i3.jpg

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment.

20th Century Fox Television, who produced the original Joss Whedon drama, have put a new take on the beloved Sarah Michelle Gellar drama in development. Writer Monica Breen, who worked with Whedon on ABC's Agents of SHIELD, has been hired to pen the adaptation and serve as showrunner on the reboot.

Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.

Gail Berman, Joe Earley, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui (who produced Whedon's original Buffy film that inspired the TV series) will also serve as exec producers on the potential series. A network is not yet attached for the new Buffy, talks for which began last fall. Producers Fox 21 TV Studios will pitch the Buffy re-do to streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war. It's unclear if Whedon will have any additional role on the new Buffy due to his other commitments, which include HBO's recent straight-to-series order The Nevers.

Talks for a new Buffy began last fall. A decision to move forward was determined after Breen was identified as the right writer for the reboot. A script or director has not yet been determined. Casting for the central role of Buffy has also not yet been determined. The new version, sources say, will be contemporary and build on the mythology of the original. Like today's world, the new Buffy will be richly diverse, with some aspects of the series, like the flagship, seen as metaphors for issues facing society today.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer ran for seven seasons on The WB Network (which evolved to become The CW) and UPN. The series continued in comic book form after completing its run in 2003. Buffy was based on the feature film of the same name that starred Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry that was originally penned by Whedon.

The cult favorite series became a breakout and helped turn Whedon into a household name, while also launching the careers of the series' stars (including David Boreanaz and Alyson Hannigan) and writers (including Jane Espenson and Marti Noxon). Buffy ranks as one of the greatest TV series of all time.

Breen recently created and showran NBC's Midnight, Texas. She left the series after season one. Her credits include Revolution, Fringe, Brothres & Sisters, Alias, Lost and Charmed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...boot-inclusive-take-joss-whedon-works-1128888

Holy fuck as I was going to jokingly suggest a black chick was gonna play Buffy just based off the thread title lol this is some funny shit haha..

Lol "the black community"
Why are we the only ones that get grouped into communities? I never hear about "the brown community", or "the asian community "
I have no idea how they'll end up writing this character. But blacks are more diverse than we are given credit for. In the past and present, there are blacks casted in "valley girl" roles as the token black friend of the white protagonist. It isn't anything new.

I doubt it would be done to the extreme of Dash's character , or Hilary from FPoB, but Buffy wasn't that extreme of a valleygirl in the show either.
There are blacks of many socioeconomic backgrounds ,guys.
Lol i swear, it blows my mind sometimes to read threads on Sherdog.
Do black people even exist in the cities you guys live in?
I used to live in Baltimore. So yeah, Black people exist there of all backgrounds. The phrase black or African American community is widely used in the media. Even President Obama’s administration uses the phrase.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...merican-community-during-obama-administration
I don’t know how they’ll write the character either but I hope it’s not a tired stereotype.

I used to live in Baltimore. So yeah, Black people exist there of all backgrounds. The phrase black or African American community is widely used in the media. Even President Obama’s administration uses the phrase.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...merican-community-during-obama-administration
I don’t know how they’ll write the character either but I hope it’s not a tired stereotype.
Yeah, i know the phrase is used often in the media. But i have always thought it to be stupid, even when other blacks use it. There isn't a black community. There are obviously some struggles, or issues we share, but we're not as lock in step on issues as we're often painted to be.
Black dude in Compton and black dude in San Diego aren't from the same "community"

I don't have much faith in Whedon. I think he's pretty much a hack, and i wish he wasn't involved in this. I could do without his brand of humor. I imagine this show will probably be on the CW network, so i have little faith in this being anything above mediocre.
But i think the actual casting of Buffy isn't as crucial as the team she is surrounded by. The interactions she had with her friends and family are what made the show for me when I watched it. Buffy herself wasn't that special of a character for me

<31>
You haven't answered or addressed a single thing ive said.
You keep crying about the name Buffy, and i told you there is no such thing as a white name. There's nothing deep about the joke. It's completely straight forward. Only someone unfamiliar with the show wouldnt understand. But the name itself was hardly important to establish her character. And there is no rule that a black girl can't be named Buffy.
Most black people HAVE white names. Do you think Bill, Terry, or Jill came from Africa?
The name has nothing to do with race, it is a rich person's name.

And more importantly, this is such a small, meaningless thing to focus on. The show is about a teenage girl that fights vampires, not the fucking racial origin of her name

Dude I think you're misunderstanding me. I am NOT against them having a black Buffy. Not at all. Like I said they already had 2 black vampire slayers on the show and I didn't care one bit. And I don't care that this new Buffy will be black because I have a problem with a black girl being a vampire slayer. I DO have a problem with WHY they are choosing to go this route with the casting. You and I and everybody with any common sense knows WHY they are going with a black girl....and I'll remind you that nobody has even auditioned yet. They just decided that this Buffy will be black. So ask yourself why?

They (Hollywood) is pandering to you and imo it's so unbelievably obvious it's insulting. And I think it SHOULD be insulting to you. Come on man be real. Do you really think they give a crap about telling a black story here.....or do you think it's more of a politically correct, sjw type of statement? Be honest.

THAT is what I have a problem with. I don't care if Buffy is asian, black, mexican or white. I WAS saying that the original idea of the show was a stereotypical white girl actually fighting underworld monsters, and the contradictions and humorous opportunities that premise provides. And it was. And it did. But this isn't really about race dude. It's about intellect and being able to see through bs and being able to see when you are being pandered to like a small, dull child. That, imo, is what they are doing here. They are appeasing sjw's and shouting "hey look at us we are politically correct woo hoo!" It's insulting.

Tbh either way i don't think it'll matter. I'd bet every dime I have this reboot will never, ever, ever hold a candle to the original anyway. And that is NOT because of race. It's because the original was....original. And groundbreaking. It was freaking outstanding.

Lol at the mass triggering

Just because a black, or gay is put in a movie, that doesn't mean there's an "agenda", or it's a SJW/PC move. Lol Fucking hell.

There are movies like the Ghostbusters remake that were CLEARLY all about "fighting the patriarchy" or making some sort of social stand. That was a movie that was focused more on making a statement, than making a good movie. That is NOT the same thing as simply including minorities in roles they weren't previously cast in. People bitched about the black guy and asian girl in the new Star Wars movies as being because of "SJW" and to "appease the Asian audience".

Buffy is not defined by her whiteness. Her being black, white, asian changes nothing about her character. If the Buffy story was full of German traditions, and she was from some long line of German hunters, that would be different to then change that character.
Lol Would it really have been better to make an obvious knockoff of Buffy and just have called it "Ayaka/Maria/Keisha the Vampire Slayer"? Why reboot a series and then cast a similar cast from before?
Just because the new Buffy will be black, that doesn't mean she will be solely defined by her race. If she gave a BLM speech every episode that would be one thing, but all of these recastings where a minority takes over for a white, I never see any big deal made about their race.
It's about inclusion. Giving minorities a face and time in media and entertainment beyond their ususal roles. I am amazed at how people can see this as a bad thing
Make a new character, dont change an existing one. Noone had a problem with blade and it would be annoying if he were recast as white or Asian. Just create more new minority characters in their original series instead of infecting existing characters with the diversity inclusion virus.

I'm not reading all this shit. Who's the new Buffy hot chick?

I don;t mind white washing or white saviours in movies. I GET why hollywood does it.

It is just this inane caterwauling from crying white males each and every time it goes the other way in one out of a hundred instances. Then we get this type of derailing crocodile tears of 'make it stop, 'give me my safe space',.

Do we know why most actresses are super beautiful and mostly white women? Have we fooled ourselves into believing that white beautiful women have a near monopoly on good acting and that is why they raise to the top? Why most sitcom dumpy husband has a gorgeous wife?

I hope we are not that gullible. Beautiful women and particularly beautiful white women get an edge and most roles because they are pandering to the male desire to see beautiful women. They know it sells better. It is almost all pandering. ALL. so this selective outrage rings of one thing and one thing only. MMGA, Make Movies great again and we know what that is code for.

(And for the record I hate hijacking threads with this shit. I am ok with all pandering (pick an audience and pander and sell away) but I simply cannot, NOT reply when people pretend this pandering is unique and new and only to the benefit of ethnics or women)

I dunno. Movies in my country mostly feature white people. That's probably because less than 4% of the population are people of colour. The movies just reflect the composition of the population. In the US, whites used to be a large majority as well. Now that is changing and white people are becoming a minority. I guess the uproar over the changing of white characters to minorities reflects the anxieties white people probably feel about becoming a minority.

They should go dark. No pun intended.

Set the series in Detroit. The basic concept should merge Buffy with the X Files and even The Purge; the highest levels of government have known about the existence of Vampires and Demons for a very long time. The two groups have struck a deal. In exchange for certain goods and services, the Vampires etc get to use Detroit as their personal hunting ground. The government makes sure that law enforcement etc in Detroit is starved of funds, making it easier for the Vampires to operate.

The Media covers up reports of Vamp attacks and pushes the narrative that Detroit is simply a failed city, rotting under the weight of corruption and gang violence.

The new Slayer is the first person capable of fighting the Vamps, Demons etc since the government made it's deal with the Devil. She has to contend not only with Superhuman enemies but also elements within her own government who want the status quo to remain. After all, it's only low-income blacks who are being eaten...

Man, if they just made a vampire slayer story with a black girl that wasn't Buffy I would have much much more faith in the end result possibly being good. Seems like they are making this purely as a cash grab and not to make the best show possible

We had a Black Betty for sure we can have a Black Buffy, bam ba lam

She was DEFINED by being white?
There are black people that live in places other than the ghetto.
And you guys are over playing her ditziness. It wasn't like she was a character from 'Clueless' or 'Mean Girls' for the 7 or so seasons the show was on.
I think we're confusing class with race. There are bougey, ditzy black girls in Southern California, believe it or not. It's not "white culture" specifically, it was much more a class and area culture.
The spirit of the show was a young girl getting thrown into crazy, supernatural world, and how she deals with it. The spirit of the show can EASILY be kept using any race or gender.

And are you in talks with Joss whedon to know this is going to be some sort of "hood Buffy"? Where are you getting that?
Even if it were the case...so what ? The spirit of the story is the exact same, but looking at it through the eyes of a girl living in a different part of town.
Inner city girl wakes up to find that she has powers and is a vampire slayer, and now has to deal with living this dual life. It's the same damn story with a different take

And lol at "just create new characters"
Stop your nonsense. How many black girls do you know named Buffy?? I grew up in a middle class black neighborhood....I never met one Black Buffy. You are defending an obvious SJW move. Like another poster said....they made her black before even auditioning anyone...not like they picked a black actress because she was the best. They did it just because of skin color. Buffy was not an ordinary girl turned into a vampire slayer. She was a selfish, ditzy, teen that talked like a Valley girl. That was the premise so stop acting like it wasn’t. She had to totally overcome who she was to battle the evil. And “Lol” at creating a new character. Why is that bad? Are black actresses only good at being cast in rehashes? This was done to check a box and if you can’t see that you are just as bad as the Hollywood SJWs themselves.

They should go dark. No pun intended.

Set the series in Detroit. The basic concept should merge Buffy with the X Files and even The Purge; the highest levels of government have known about the existence of Vampires and Demons for a very long time. The two groups have struck a deal. In exchange for certain goods and services, the Vampires etc get to use Detroit as their personal hunting ground. The government makes sure that law enforcement etc in Detroit is starved of funds, making it easier for the Vampires to operate.

The Media covers up reports of Vamp attacks and pushes the narrative that Detroit is simply a failed city, rotting under the weight of corruption and gang violence.

The new Slayer is the first person capable of fighting the Vamps, Demons etc since the government made it's deal with the Devil. She has to contend not only with Superhuman enemies but also elements within her own government who want the status quo to remain. After all, it's only low-income blacks who are being eaten...

hmm i can dig this idea <mma4>

Stop your nonsense. How many black girls do you know named Buffy?? I grew up in a middle class black neighborhood....I never met one Black Buffy. You are defending an obvious SJW move. Like another poster said....they made her black before even auditioning anyone...not like they picked a black actress because she was the best. They did it just because of skin color. Buffy was not an ordinary girl turned into a vampire slayer. She was a selfish, ditzy, teen that talked like a Valley girl. That was the premise so stop acting like it wasn’t. She had to totally overcome who she was to battle the evil. And “Lol” at creating a new character. Why is that bad? Are black actresses only good at being cast in rehashes? This was done to check a box and if you can’t see that you are just as bad as the Hollywood SJWs themselves.

What do numbers have to do with anything ? This isn't a census. How many white girls do you know named Buffy? How many vampire slayers are there? Is there not a single black girl on the planet named Buffy?
This is a stupid line of reasoning. The story is about a black girl named Buffy. I could make a show about a black girl named Zaltana, and nobody is going to go"uhhh how many black girls are named Zaltana?"
In a tv show about a girl with super powers that kills vampires, you find a black girl being named Buffy the most ridiculous thing? You really think that makes sense?

And I'll tell you, like ive told others in this thread. MANY black people have "white" names. African Americans names came from their slave masters. Some people have taken African names, or created their own nowadays, but there are plenty of black guys out there with white ass names like Howard, or Terrance, or Philip. So the argument that there can't be a black girl named Buffy is retarded.

Lol take your tin foil hat off for a moment and listen to reason.
What is this "checking off a box" nonsense? If i said "I want to tell a story where Batman is black. I think it would be an interesting story to see how a black Batman would see crime, and how the community would see him"
What "box" is being checked off? It has nothing to do with pandering. I think there is an interesting story that could be told with a black Batman. I'm not just changing his skin color, as a black man, he is likely not going to view things in the exact way a white guy would

As far as "make new characters" go. Think about that. It is 2018. What story HASN'T been told at this point? We are essentially telling different versions of the same story . What original vampire story could be told that hasn't been done yet? What character could i make that hasn't been done?
Why would a studio spend time and resources on creating knock-off black versions of characters, when they can just adapt the characters that already have a name? What sense does it make to greenlight an obvious copy of Buffy, instead of just keeping the name and giving her an update?

You can't just make new characters when there is already more than enough established characters in rotation. The black Spiderman and Green Lantern would've never gotten any popularity or success if they had just been called Arachnid Boy, and Green Ring, while there was an already established white Spider-Man and Green Lantern .
The irony is, is that all you people who say "make new characters", would've just bitched about the black characters being ghetto SJW versions of the white ones

Last edited:
Back