Building an MMA gym

This is some of the SSF Team and their belts;
SSFC.jpg

www.SSFgear.com

Hey guys, how is everyone? im newer to SHerdog, but i had a few questions....im building a gym in my basement for me and some friends, i have $3000 to spend and the space is about 1000 sqft, i already have a body snatcher, a bob doll thing and a heavy bag, any other ideas and were can i get stuff?

Hey guys, how is everyone? im newer to SHerdog, but i had a few questions....im building a gym in my basement for me and some friends, i have $3000 to spend and the space is about 1000 sqft, i already have a body snatcher, a bob doll thing and a heavy bag, any other ideas and were can i get stuff?

hey man im also building an mma gym in my basement alot small than 1000sqft though.
i have 250sqft here is what i have

muay thai bag-$100 title
double end bag-$20 title
40lb everlast heavy bag-$60 dickssportinggoods
freestanding waverunner-free(someone gave it to me)
speed bag platform-$50 ringside
everlast pro speed bag-$40 dicks(someone gave me a gift card there)
floor- 1/2 in thick black puzzle mats 20x10-$120 sams club(the floor is great for the price its awsome for every thing except slams. rolling,grappling,standing,sprawling,and some takedowns are great)
weight lifting stuff-$100 modells

this is what i have and everything is great my friend and i train everyday and its awsome. if you need any help just aske. good luck

hey man im also building an mma gym in my basement alot small than 1000sqft though.
i have 250sqft here is what i have

muay thai bag-$100 title
double end bag-$20 title
40lb everlast heavy bag-$60 dickssportinggoods
freestanding waverunner-free(someone gave it to me)
speed bag platform-$50 ringside
everlast pro speed bag-$40 dicks(someone gave me a gift card there)
floor- 1/2 in thick black puzzle mats 20x10-$120 sams club(the floor is great for the price its awsome for every thing except slams. rolling,grappling,standing,sprawling,and some takedowns are great)
weight lifting stuff-$100 modells

this is what i have and everything is great my friend and i train everyday and its awsome. if you need any help just aske. good luck

Thanks dude,much appreciated im thinking about a cage too haha

Thanks dude,much appreciated im thinking about a cage too haha

that would b sick alot of money though but u can build a boxing ring for pretty cheapy like it shows early in this thread. my set up is i have all the bags on the matted area then when i want to fight i have 2 move like 4 bags to the side it would be easier if i didnt have too but i dont have tht much space.

that would b sick alot of money though but u can build a boxing ring for pretty cheapy like it shows early in this thread. my set up is i have all the bags on the matted area then when i want to fight i have 2 move like 4 bags to the side it would be easier if i didnt have too but i dont have tht much space.

i saw plans somewere on how to build your own cage cheap....ill see if i can find it again...and not to sound like a noob but whats a freestanding waverunner? thanks again

i saw plans somewere on how to build your own cage cheap....ill see if i can find it again...and not to sound like a noob but whats a freestanding waverunner? thanks again

sorry my fault it is called "wave master" wave runner is my jetski lmao. its a freestanding heavy bag made by century "wave master" a decent item for free but hanging bags are better. http://www.playwell.co.uk/store/acatalog/Free_Standing_Punch_Bags_.html
also if you find those cage plans please share, i alwayswanted a cage just never had the money. also it says next to your name your from central monmouth county. i live in freehold nj. do u live near by. i might even know u?

sorry my fault it is called "wave master" wave runner is my jetski lmao. its a freestanding heavy bag made by century "wave master" a decent item for free but hanging bags are better. http://www.playwell.co.uk/store/acatalog/Free_Standing_Punch_Bags_.html
also if you find those cage plans please share, i alwayswanted a cage just never had the money. also it says next to your name your from central monmouth county. i live in freehold nj. do u live near by. i might even know u?

OH alright, so more or less the BOB guy that i have is some type of wave master right?

OH alright, so more or less the BOB guy that i have is some type of wave master right?

yea same platform as a BOB but instead of the guy its just round foam punching bag. not needed in your case..

That's Mikhal Caldwell. He's one bad ass. He will be cornering Brenden Sequin. at the WEC in Canada next week.

Looks like SSF Submission Academy will be coming to a television near you soon;) I'll keep you guys posted on the details.

www.SSFgear.com

hey, this is my first reply but the "Gym Build" is motivational. I am in the process of building up a gym here in N.C.. Primary purpose is as a Israeli krav maga facility for civilians, Military and Law enforcement, but I should have about 5-9,000 sqft left over for MMA training areas. Your right, it ain't cheap. I hope your brother in laws build goes well. take care.

Ok so I read through every page of this thread and it is really cool!!! I can't believe so many people wantr to build mini gyms in their basements or garages. More power to everyone!

SSF, someone asked asked about insurance. Can you shed some lite on that topic?? I mean what type of insurance might be needed and or how much coverage??

we made the ring with padded walls last night so it can be a grappling/boxing area

Its small but hey for a tiny two car garage its coming out pretty good

This is an awesome thread!

Here's some pics of where I train: http://laboxing.com/locations/locationgallery.cfm?locationID=1043

The heavy bag holder system is awesome, holding 16-300 lb Muay Thai heavy bags for the boxing, MT, and cardio classes. The second section (over the grappling area) allows for another 16 bags.

One of the things that I learned back in the 80's is being successful in this business is the kids.
I've noticed that a lot of MMA schools are very imposing to parents (who bring in their kids).

Food for thought is keeping some aspects of the gym fun and instructional for children and not so hardcore.

I've noticed that the kids look up to us, especially during sub-wrestling/grappling, BJJ, and MMA classes. The kids and parents hang out and watch and you can see that they eventually want to learn.

I grew up at a McDojo (even have a 2nd degree Blackbelt), but the one thing my TKD school did right now looking back as an adult was cater to the kids and they earned bucks doing it.

MMA schools have an opportunity now to grab these students and keep their schools open or make money while having a serious MMA training facility.

Here's some footage of XFC's Training Center right up the road from me: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9f5FKioQKx8
Small photos of the gym: http://www.xfctrainingcenter.com/index.cfm?page=7

Check out their cage. The video does not show their entire facility which was pretty sick on the amount of space they have for grappling and heavy bags.

MFC Houston (Sam Hogar and crew) and other gyms in Central Texas came out for this tournament a few weeks ago.

Enjoy and thanks for this thread.

Back