Building Your Own Mma Cage

looks pretty decent there keep the ideas flowing

Anyone know what ever happened to Galitk? Wonder if their gym is still open. I hope so, they put a lot of work into that place.

I think he sold it and was looking to do another one but ...*shrugs*

Speaking of cages, I guess I should put up pics of our team's cage in here as well. It's probably not as good as yours GalltiK. You seem like you can make a living by building cages and equipment for any team in the country. Our cage is good, except there is a small spot at the bottom of the entry gate that has some loose padding where you can bump your head into it and get hurt.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

All you'l need to do is raise the mats till there a good distance from the bars - plus just get some foam to cover the vertical ones - you can prolly use the same shit they use to insulate pipes.

Building a cage is not that difficult as long as you are a capable welder / fabricator. I recently built 3 panels (1 sold to inbasejiujitsu in Fairfax, VA & 2 spares for future sales). If you are not capable at welding / fabricating then I guess you could go the route of the cage shown in this thread & bolt it together out of regular fencing from a hardware store but it won't be as strong.
It is not as cheap as you would first think either. For starters the fencing (8 guage THERMALLY FUSED BONDED, not PVC coated) comes in minimum 50' rolls (5 panels worth for a 24' cage) & will run you aroung $300. 1 1/2" schedule 40 pipe for the frames, 3" x 1/4" wall tube for corner poles / braces, 1/4" x 8" plate for bases, 2" x 2" C channel for brackets, 1/4" rod for stretching the fencing, associated nuts / bolts / hardware & the foam padding. 3/4" is used on the pro cages but is special order so I used 2 layers of 1/2"- 1 5/8" ID (which is OD of 1 1/2" schedule 40 pipe) for the 1st layer & 2 5/8" ID for the 2nd layer so I wound up with 1" of foam.
I don't have the capability (actually the desire) to fabricate the corner pads but they are readily available from numerous sources (I found them for $70 each). The panel I made for inbasejj I used a 3" schedule 40 pipe instead of the square tube & used pipe insulation on it in order to save them a little $$. I think they have a pic of it on the site somewhere.
One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics on sherdog & I'll post a tutorial for anyone who's interested.

Ihave just built a hexagon training cage 12ft the frame is scaffolding I used basic scaffold brackets to join everything ITS very very STRONG and totally removable just need to sort the door and padding out heres a pic of the basic frame mid paint

Last edited:
Ihave just built a hexagon training cage 12ft the frame is scaffolding I used basic scaffold brackets to join everything ITS very very STRONG and totally removable just need to sort the door and padding out heres a pic of the basic frame mid paint

Seems kind of small though...like fighting in an elevator.

I'd love to build one someday though, even a square cage would be fine for training.

Heres the finished thing!

I hand made all the pads using reconstituted foam and spray glue and water proof canavas I used scaffold foam for the tops, the canvas is pvc pond liner mounted on old ut to shape judo mats. as its a training cage I dident see the point in locking people in but I could add a hinged door if ever needed
total cost around

I hand made all the pads using reconstituted foam and spray glue and water proof canavas I used scaffold foam for the tops, the canvas is pvc pond liner mounted on old ut to shape judo mats. as its a training cage I dident see the point in locking people in but I could add a hinged door if ever needed
total cost around

Yes the camera angle does not do it justice its 12ft I opted for this size in favour of practicality in my gym, enough space to have a good roll and forces the action stand up at the same time students will be have to use the cage walls at some point.

but like the old saying goes its not the size that counts its what you do with it :icon_chee

total cost around

1299929424742.jpg

plenty of room for a training cage :D both guys sparring are well over 6ft!

total cost around

1299929424742.jpg

Looks like fun! And looks great especially just for getting work in against the cage both ground and standing/clinching.

Actually thought about making a partial cage version like this. 3 wall (1/2 hex, probably 5ft wide sections) that would be ideally completely portable/folding that would be easily propped against the wall or corner.

1299929424742.jpg

Lol well plenty of room is a relative term. It looks like a play pen for adults. But if it works it works I guess.

MaxumBJJ.jpg

This is my schools ring. I was kind of surprised that zebra mats has my schools cage on their website. Small world.

Lol well plenty of room is a relative term. It looks like a play pen for adults. But if it works it works I guess.

MaxumBJJ.jpg

This is my schools ring. I was kind of surprised that zebra mats has my schools cage on their website. Small world.

The first few pictures of this thread looked like it'd turn into the picture you posted :(

Back