Burger chain stepping up its game and it's not just convenient kiosks

CBC Radio has programs running all through its lineup all week on the changing work environment and the need for adaptation. I recommend checking it out. It's all very interesting.
They had an expert on who has calculated that around 40% of all American jobs are now or soon can be feasibly automated. The above was one example. He also explained it might appear that you need a real person for something like a restaurant server, but it is highly open to automation (see Japan).

For a lot of people, it's gonna suck bad for a while. But it's been pointed out that lots of jobs have been taken by robots over the last several decades, yet human productivity has not dropped, and employment is at historic highs.

Maybe we have reached our potential peak and its all downhill from here. Employment might be high yet its largely because of the service industries and these robots are taking jerbs straight outa that sector. While alot of people mock some of these jobs if Barista boy or Burger Flipper teen dont have these intial jobs then how do they pay for beers, rent, concerts etc etc or buy a car. Instead they are left wallowing in unemployment for years on end. Its kind of like dump truck drivers in Australia, soon to be all automated.

What have they offered in terms of adaption ?

Which encourages and fosters innovation. Sounds like the MW isnt so bad after all and is in fact, a boon to business and society.

There's plenty of work for engineers to do. The fact that we spent our time on burger flippers because of the new economic incentives to do so means we didn't spend our time on something else. The minimum wage didn't foster innovation, it just redirected it from where it would have gone to here.

There's plenty of work for engineers to do. The fact that we spent our time on burger flippers because of the new economic incentives to do so means we didn't spend our time on something else. The minimum wage didn't foster innovation, it just redirected it from where it would have gone to here.

Sounds like you're making excuses. The fact is mw is pushing companies to innovate and all along you were whining about it.

Liberals would print so much money and hand out so much of it for free, that it was cause the currency to fail or cause over inflation .

Another driven by compassion idea by the bleeding heart liberals that will do more damage then good.

Universal income. What a sick joke.

People who their entire life who do not give 1 care about their health or their neighbors around them does not deserve universal income

The harder you work the more money you get.
The less you work the less money you get.

Now the ones who never want to work are demanding money, and liberals are right there. Freaking sick bunch

Maybe we have reached our potential peak and its all downhill from here. Employment might be high yet its largely because of the service industries and these robots are taking jerbs straight outa that sector. While alot of people mock some of these jobs if Barista boy or Burger Flipper teen dont have these intial jobs then how do they pay for beers, rent, concerts etc etc or buy a car. Instead they are left wallowing in unemployment for years on end. Its kind of like dump truck drivers in Australia, soon to be all automated.

The thing is, that's wrong. It's not just low-skill/low-pay jobs that will be affected by automation. How about robot surgery?

"The first da Vinci (Intuitive Surgical Inc.) robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP) was performed in 2000 by Binder.6 Since then, the robots have taken over radical prostatectomy surgery in the United States, and have also gradually invaded Canada. In 2007, only Edmonton, Alberta; London, Ontario; and Montreal, Quebec were performing RALP.7 So far in 2014, there are over 23 active daVinci surgical robots in Canada. In this month’s CUAJ, Tholomier and colleagues8 published the largest 5-year Canadian experience to date, with over 720 RALP performed with excellent oncologic outcomes. The benefits of robotic surgery include magnified, high definition visualization, excellent range of motion and elimination of tremor, and surgeon comfort at a seated console.9 Having performed a number of robotic surgeries, I can attest to these benefits. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4081240/

Interesting

so flippy knows how to add ingredients or is that customers job.

I guess it's better if flippy works. flippy can not be hurt and file lawsuits. flippy does not grow tired. flippy is not late for work or sick.

I would purposely skip a burger place that used robots.
Do you skip cars that are built by robots, i.e. all of them? Do you object to your car being washed by a robot? Why object to your tray coming to your table that way?

Liberals would print so much money and hand out so much of it for free, that it was cause the currency to fail or cause over inflation .

Another driven by compassion idea by the bleeding heart liberals that will do more damage then good.

Universal income. What a sick joke.

People who their entire life who do not give 1 care about their health or their neighbors around them does not deserve universal income

The harder you work the more money you get.
The less you work the less money you get.

Now the ones who never want to work are demanding money, and liberals are right there. Freaking sick bunch
Yeah, it's too bad this is all whining and no facts. More blaming being poor on poor people. There are all kinds of circumstances that can land a person in the poor house that have little to do with how hard they're willing to work. Why don't you spend as much time whining about legal loopholes that let rich people get all kinds of tax write offs that middle and lower income people don't get? Now that's a sick joke. There's a million times more money involved there than in fraudulent welfare claims, shitwit.

Stop being a whiny bitch with every post and try using some nuance for a change, and people might take you more seriously. There is a fraction, arguably a very small fraction, of people who abuse social programs like welfare. For the rest it's a helping hand out of a bad situation. For every lazy ass, there's 1000 who needed help, got it, and moved on. As I said in an earlier post, it's a very wide swathe of jobs that are likely to be affected by automation, not just low skill jobs. So stop being so fucking smug.

One of the reasons that I think we think that robots will take our jobs and leave us human with nothing is because it's the easiest answer.

I. Relive that as long as we as a society keep innovating, those expansions in other areas of the economy that use different resources will make up for the lose in jobs. People will just have to transition to another job.

When tall buildings were first built in NYC several people were employed to stand fire watch. If there was a fire that person would run and tell other there was a fire and they would try and put it out. But then came the smoke detector.

Did the invention of the smoke detector cause people to lose their jobs. Yes. But in the long run an industry that is lead be huge companies such as Honeywell and Siemens that install, maintain, troubleshoot, provide project managers, account managers for smoke and fire protection have taken a small job like fire watch and made it into a multi billion dollar industry. In the long run shit buffed out.

Do you skip cars that are built by robots, i.e. all of them? Do you object to your car being washed by a robot? Why object to your tray coming to your table that way?

i would be fine with flippy.

flippy will not spit in your food or not care about uncooked meat. In fact studies will show that overall flippy cooks a better burger and better employee. Cost of burger will be less compared to other competing burger places.

flippy will be better the same way cars are built better with robots.

In the case of a cheeseburger I'll go to the place that uses people.

What have who offered? The government? Like the very successful program for retraining miners that Trump is going to cut funding for?

LOL @ the morans in this thread.

"Its the Minimum Wage that is driving this zhit!!!!!"

So no innovation happens unless the government mandates a MW? The government should mandate a 30$/hr MW then we could colonize other planets with armies of robot servants and none of us would ever have to work again.

Sounds like the MW might be one of the greatest things to ever happen to humanity.;)

This is fairly ignorant. Let me explain. At $7 an hour no robot could compete for that business at our current level of technology. It may take $12 an hour average to buy and maintain the robot at first so it's not feasible to try to sell this technology to fast food companies. Once you cross that threshold the technology will advance rapidly to replace human jobs. Just so you know the price is still going up but it should level off at that $12 an hour cost of labor or whatever it is.

The oil industry is a great example of this. Shale oil was not an option at $60 a barrel. When the costs went up to $90+ a barrel they were able to afford the cost of developing shale drilling technology. Over time the shale technology got cheaper as it was refined and made more efficient and this pushed the cost of oil back down dramatically. If you know the history you know that is why Venezuela and Saudi Arabia's current horrible financial situations are their own faults. They tried to force what we all were paying for oil up in cost by cutting production along the way and in the end created a ton of competition to their own oil prices.

It's important to note that the people who ended up suffering in these situations are the ones who relied on the older method of doing things before they forced a non-competitive price into the market.

This is fairly ignorant. Let me explain. At $7 an hour no robot could compete for that business at our current level of technology. It may take $12 an hour average to buy and maintain the robot at first so it's not feasible to try to sell this technology to fast food companies. Once you cross that threshold the technology will advance rapidly to replace human jobs. Just so you know the price is still going up but it should level off at that $12 an hour cost of labor or whatever it is.

The oil industry is a great example of this. Shale oil was not an option at $60 a barrel. When the costs went up to $90+ a barrel they were able to afford the cost of developing shale drilling technology. Over time the shale technology got cheaper as it was refined and made more efficient and this pushed the cost of oil back down dramatically. If you know the history you know that is why Venezuela and Saudi Arabia's current horrible financial situations are their own faults. They tried to force what we all were paying for oil up in cost by cutting production along the way and in the end created a ton of competition to their own oil prices.

It's important to note that the people who ended up suffering in these situations are the ones who relied on the older method of doing things before they forced a non-competitive price into the market.
There's only one problem with this. Unless you've got some sources for your numbers (min wage vs automation) it falls apart. Likely, as Flippy would appear to show, automation is already appreciably cheaper. Contrary to your apparently made up numbers, I'd say you could lower the minimum wage and still not be able to compete (if cost is the only basis for comparison.)

Fair enough, but your pithy ejaculation does not satisfy. It does nothing to advance the discussion. Care to elaborate?

When it comes to food id rather have human beings making it Until the time comes I have no options and burgers are being made by robots everywhere

Even then I would dine in a restaurant with human beings preparing my food

Back