But but but billionaires! waaahhhhhhhh

Are you crying about people crying?[/B][/U]

The problem most people have is that wage growth has not kept up with inflation. It is essentially making us poorer while the wealthy in this country continue to see more gains.

lol yeah I think he is.

I think TS aplso compared 1st world earning power/living standards with the developing world's

Its not really this simple. Most Africans immigrating to the West already have money/education, plus many come from failed states so have more impetus/motivation to succeed.
I was talking about the poor ones but motivation is the key.

Good post

Couple points worth fleshing out

At some point "policy with bad distributional effects" will not only "still encourage growth" but it will encourage more growth than would occur absent those policies. That is, at some point the supply side economic dictum is true. At some point increased taxes on work discourage work and taxation on savings discourages investment.

Fair. Just a wording issue on my end. I agree. And I agree with the rest of this post.

lol yeah I think he is.

I think TS aplso compared 1st world earning power/living standards with the developing world's

We need to turn this argument on its head.

If you're a billionaire, you have 100,000% the wealth of the monarchs in 1780s France.

Looks like we need to break out the guillotines boys!!!!

You think people's spur of the moment assessment of what the distribution "should be" is any less ignorant?

Yes. What I was saying was that few if any people would choose the current American distribution. He responded by pointing out that about a third are OK with the current distribution. My response to that response is that those people are not aware of what they're saying they're OK with.

Your response is along totally different lines and not really relevant to the discussion. Note that my initial point was that advice to an individual is not related to an evaluation of policy. With regard to distribution, it's clear that policy is not delivering. If you're claiming that crafting policy that does deliver desirable outcomes there is difficult, I agree.

You classify rich people the same as rapists and pedos? Ok i think we're done here.

Systemically speaking, they are actually far worse. But I understand the power of the indoctrination under which you are attempting to navigate reality.

Back