Buy or Sell: Andre Ward is the dirtiest fighter of the modern era

He was pretty dirty, yeah. What bugged me about him was the Kessler fight. He fought dirty there when he didn't need to and left Kessler with injuries that effected the rest of his career.

Agree to the fullest extent. I wrote something very similar on an older board. As far as I know, the injuries affected the rest of his life too, unless the later surgeries finally got the job done. Blatant backyard fouling against a tailor-made opponent says plenty about a fighter no matter pedigree and resume.

once mora called it a knockdown, i think i would have just left the ring. call me a quitter or whatever, but how many groin shots are you going to take? its clear the fix was in
Iirc at least one judge didn't even count it as a kd, the low blow was that obvious... Mora is a garbage ref.

once mora called it a knockdown, i think i would have just left the ring. call me a quitter or whatever, but how many groin shots are you going to take? its clear the fix was in
It was pretty appalling to watch. I think what made it worse is that the ref was actually acknowledging that Mares was hitting him low but did absolutely nothing other than warn him for it. Then he gives it a knockdown for an obvious low blow, you're right I don't think anyone would have blamed him for walking out of that ring at that point. Corrupt refereeing at it's most obvious.

go watch duran agains buchanan. its eye watering.

He is dirty but also very very talented , it's not like most fighters don't use dirty tactics

yea, it was almost like Mares was just seeing how many times he could get away with it. the answer being of course as many times as he wanted. I didnt watch the whole fight again, and its been a few years, but didnt Agbeko actually get a point deducted? If not, he certainly got a warning.

Agbeko is such a quiet and nice guy, so it doesnt surprise me he put up with it. Like I said, I would have just left. His brother Sena trains here now and is equally quiet and polite. He is just a LOT bigger than his brother and totally jacked
Mora called a blatant low blow a KD but I don't recall a point deduction.

Dug up my copy of Four Kings. Buchanan's quote about how his nuts still torture him over 3.5 decades later:

"I still get a pain there, I'll have it till the day I die. I told Roberto 'I'll never forget you. Every time I take a piss I'll think of you.'"

<bball2>

edit double

making up for my mistake the best way, the @Marc A style.

yyy.jpg

Last edited:
I gotta agree on Salido, Mares, Hopkins and Ward. Haven't seen much of Chavez but I'm glad Rios called him out on that shit. I'd add Holyfield and Golota to the list. Holy was pretty much a billygoat in some fights, Golota not only for the low blows vs Bowe, but I know he bit Pouha when he was hurt and might have bit someone else too? Felix Trinidad pulled some dirty tactics in fights too, Vargas was turning the fight around until Tito took out his nut sack with low blows.

Golota gets a special award, as he got even dirtier with guys he dominated. He didn't use dirty tricks to get the edge, he just enjoyed hurting people.

I've watched the second Kovalev fight several times now and I'm sure that the shots that finished him weren't low. Kovalev wore his shorts high and it made the shots seem lower imo, although I agree Ward is fairly dirty in general

I hadn’t seen Ward fight too much but from memory he belted Kovalev three times in the nuts to win.

how about sugar ray's against hagler, it didn't affect hagler visibly but it bothered me that steele couldn't have missed it and said nothing, steele was either crooked or showed favoritism in many fights.

Golota gets a special award, as he got even dirtier with guys he dominated. He didn't use dirty tricks to get the edge, he just enjoyed hurting people.
no, that wasn't my impression, my impression was he just couldn't handle pressure, if you'll notice, he only hit bowe low when bowe strung a couple punches together, just a headcase.

Dug up my copy of Four Kings. Buchanan's quote about how his nuts still torture him over 3.5 decades later:

"I still get a pain there, I'll have it till the day I die. I told Roberto 'I'll never forget you. Every time I take a piss I'll think of you.'"

<bball2>
sour grapes or true? I wonder. also, he concievably could have kept the title on that, even clancy took a risk didn't he? telling him to go along with him and milk it? maybe the fact that roberto dominated him had something to do with it.

Diego Chaves.

Both Keef and Bradley said he was a dirty fighter, and he bit his last opponent on the shoulder.

Here is him fouling the shit out of Rios

LMFAO this is fucking hilarious. Any other fights similar to this?

Wards fight with edwin Rodriguez was also equally absurd. A totally c level fighter and he still felt the need to foul a ton

Among great fighters, he's in the conversation for his era. If we're talking the modern era, it depends when we judge the modern era to have started. If we say great fighters who debuted after 1980, he's still probably in the conversation, but I'd put guys like Holyfield and Hopkins above him. Outside of the Kessler, Rodriguez, and Bika fights (and it's hard to blame him for the Rodriguez or Bika fights as he was merely returning the favour), it's hard to think where he was particularly bad. The ending to the 2nd Kovalev was unfortunate, but that was more due to the referee stopping the fight immediately after a low-blow when Kovalev was already done.

Back