Buying a new watch; which brand(s) do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Soma, Jun 12, 2018.

1. LogicalFighting

LogicalFighting Purple Belt

We’re not obsessed with time I tell ya!!!

2. GSP vs Conor in 2019

GSP vs Conor in 2019 Jon Stark Belt Platinum Member

Rolex 100 percent

3. GSP vs Conor in 2019

GSP vs Conor in 2019 Jon Stark Belt Platinum Member

That's an awfully negative and unhelpful opinion.

DragRacer and RJ43 like this.
  4. Soma

Soma Breathe the body deep

I love the Oysters. By the looks of Rolex's they seem too big for my wrist (I haven't checked them out in person yet so I could be wrong). But I basically have girl wrists, hahah, so need something that isn't bulky at all.

For the most part, you are correct.

80% status symbol
    19% completes an outfit
    1% to tell time (have a cellphone but is actually easier to look at my wrist)

That is a nice looking watch, seems like it would be good for small wrists too. Thank you.

Do Rolex's really fit little wrists well?

That Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm is beauuutiful. Love it. Guess I'll have to go in person to see how it fits on my wrist, because I would love to have that watch.

5. Lone Coyote

Lone Coyote Green Belt

Before spending the money, understand what will be the use of the watch and learn about complications to see which ones do you consider a must.

Go anywhere, do anything?
    Date?
    Dressy?
    Sporty?
    Chronograph?
    Material?
    Usable with different straps?

With that in mind, you can start to define the style you want, and afterwards, you can search for models that have those specific characteristics.

I consider legibility as a must, therefore, I avoid chronographs and dressy watches that lack lume. Date is important for me (i dislike date day complication). If I'm having something glued to my wrist, I'd rather have an additional benefit than just time and day, so I like the diver bezel. Watches that comply with my wants are classified as tool watches. Check the pelagos.

@Sonny gtfih and drop some knowledge

6. TheLinguist

TheLinguist White Belt

[​IMG]

This is what I wear, Omega Seamaster GMT, 600m wr and a pressure cap, large yet not offensively, stylish yet not gaudy and of course it feels and performs like a 70s vixen running with wild horses.

An absolute man’s watch, but TS maybe your wrist is too thin? You could definitely try one out in store, the staff at Omega are very well trained, they may even suggest something more fitting for a male with suspiciously feminine arms such as yours.

7. Sonny

Sonny Titanium Belt

Yep. This is good advice.

Seeing as how you’re going to be investing a considerable amount of money into this, you definitely want to be sure about what you want.

That said? For a do it all, every occasion watch, I like the Explorer(black dial). It’s fairly invisible to the naked eye. Subs with a date are pretty noticeable, GMT’s even more so. To me the explorer is bulletproof with a reliable movement. It doesn’t look out of place on a bracelet, leather strap, nato or even a bund strap. It’s classy, sporty and won’t fail you during a zombie apocalypse.

If you want something similar for a cheaper price I would check out the Tudor Heritage Ranger.