Buying a new watch; which brand(s) do you recommend?

Budget - Seiko, I got my Kinetic Sapphire for 350 and its nice and simple.
$$$ - Omega Seamaster, James Bond approved. I was amazed how heavy they are when I tried one on years ago.

I bought a watch years ago for 350 in Miami. Use to wear alot of gold too but then I became a man and figured I didnt need bling bling to make me look cool.
A nice watch is more like a suit or a nice pair of shoes when worn with dress clothes. Not what I would really call bling such as wearing lots of chains or other jewelry.

(of course there are blingy watches if that is your thing)

Rolex Ari King- small & classy. Entry level Rolex so its at the top of your price range.

The Omega Constellation is imo the classic less expensive luxury watch. Used to be around $2500CND but not sure in US.

Buy an Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Then start saving for your first Rolex :)

A nice watch is more like a suit or a nice pair of shoes when worn with dress clothes. Not what I would really call bling such as wearing lots of chains or other jewelry.

(of course there are blingy watches if that is your thing)
I just figured out whos in your avatar I knew he looked familiar. Watched it last night hadnt watched it in years.
Freds great in Uncommon Valor too.

Tissot PRC 200 is a keeper if you’re willing to spend a tad more than a Seiko.
72c1d6cf-0526-41e4-b806-f203f668d187.jpg

Hamilton Intra-matic 68 Auto Chrono - $2,195

Hamilton-Intra-Matic-68-Chronograph-3.jpg

ZENITH Chronomaster El Primero Open Heart - $5,700

Zenith-El-Primero-Chronomaster-Blue-dial-3.jpg

Breitling Colt Skyracer - $2,000

Breitling_hero.jpg

MeisterSinger Lunascope - $3,400

MeisterSinger-Lunascope-Review-2.jpg

Longines Railroad Heritage L2.803.4.23.3 - $1,850

Longines-Railroad-focus.jpg

Oris Big Crown ProPilot Calibre 111 - $5,600

Oris-Big-Crown-ProPilot-Calibre-111-Blue-Dial-4.jpg

I ended up getting the Datejust I posted a few back and I love it. That blue really won me over. I’ll probably sit pretty for a while and then get the man on the moon speed master.

Apparently th Black Bay GMT has all sorts of problems and warranty. I still like it, though.

Gmts have more complicated movements, style has a normal movement and shouldn’t have issues.

If you want a classic make that's not mainstream, look at Zenith.

Too many different kinds of watches to really give a straight answer.

For a classic dive watch - Rolex Submariner, Rolex Sea Dweller, or Omega Seamaster
For a chronograph - Omega Speedmaster (Rolex Daytona is out of your price range but I still prefer the Omega on aesthetics and legacy)
For a pilots watch - Breitling Navitimer, Oris Big Pilot, or a nice Laco (I have a Laco Faro 42mm and it's a great watch)
For classic styling - Rolex Milgauss, Air King, or Oyster Perpetual, a nice IWC, Nomos Glashutte, or a used Patek Phillipe. I am in love with the 70th Anniversary addition of the Omega Seamaster 1948 Vintage Small Seconds version.

It's hard to go wrong with a Patek, AP, Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Tag, or IWC. Don't be afraid of used with these brands as they'll appreciate over time if you take care of them.

Too many different kinds of watches to really give a straight answer.

For a classic dive watch - Rolex Submariner, Rolex Sea Dweller, or Omega Seamaster
For a chronograph - Omega Speedmaster (Rolex Daytona is out of your price range but I still prefer the Omega on aesthetics and legacy)
For a pilots watch - Breitling Navitimer, Oris Big Pilot, or a nice Laco (I have a Laco Faro 42mm and it's a great watch)
For classic styling - Rolex Milgauss, Air King, or Oyster Perpetual, a nice IWC, Nomos Glashutte, or a used Patek Phillipe. I am in love with the 70th Anniversary addition of the Omega Seamaster 1948 Vintage Small Seconds version.

It's hard to go wrong with a Patek, AP, Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Tag, or IWC. Don't be afraid of used with these brands as they'll appreciate over time if you take care of them.

You’re missing Grand Seiko. Just beautiful watches. I just ordered a new (both used) speedmaster pro and a Grand Seiko 3 days ago. I am so excited for both, but especially the Grand Seiko. Won’t need to buy any more watches ever again. Have Breitling Superocean 44 for my durable/beater (not true beater, as I’d use my Steinhart Ti GMT for anything truly reckless), speedy for just regular use, and GS for dress watch/regular use. Those 3 all I need unless I became super rich one day somehow.

But yes, used is good. The speedy and GS I just bought go for roughly $10k retail. But I got them for 7k used but looking brand new.

Laco is nice too, I have a Laco Venedig 42mm that is fun to wear. But I really regret getting the 42 instead of the 45 considering it’s a Pilot and I have larger wrists anyways.

Last edited:
Back