Céad Míle Fáilte: The Irish Folk Music Thread...

Rimbaud82

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I had a folk thread going for a bit, until it was foolishly merged into this thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/punk-ska-hardcore-folk-billy-all-that-lesser-known-crap.3253255/, which despite having folk in the title is really a punk thread (though a very good one at that) and has nothing to do with the sort of music I was posting.

So here's a thread specifically for Irish folk and trad :) Assume there must be some fans on here at least. @These Two Hands @deise69 are the only Irish posters I can think of...

To get us started:

@FeloniousMonk

Thanks for the shoutout, brother, but I'd only end up filling the thread up with Wolfe Tones songs ha ha ha. Good old bhoys eh.

Actually, now that you mention it here's a good one. I remember learning this as a small child, I sing it still today with my own family.

I love the music, though not from Ireland.

Actually, now that you mention it here's a good one. I remember learning this as a small child, I sing it still today with my own family.

That's a great song mate, thanks for posting. And by all means post some of the Wolfe Tones, I'm not a massive fan of theirs actually but I like a few songs all the same.

Beautiful from first note, to last

Any idea what she's singing about?
I hear struggle& new beginnings....

It's an old poem by a man called Antoine Ó Reachtabhra (Anthony Raftery) a blind poet from the west of Ireland, it's basically a love song about a beautiful peasant girl. Here's another guy singing it, but he talks a bit about it beforehand:

I was as baffled by the merge as you were. I'll leave a note so that won't happen again.

It's an old poem by a man called Antoine Ó Reachtabhra (Anthony Raftery) a blind poet from the west of Ireland, it's basically a love song about a beautiful peasant girl. Here's another guy singing it, but he talks a bit about it beforehand:

Meeting a female & going to church
on a rainy day.... so simple, but
each singer makes it sound so
powerful. I found myself falling
asleep to that first version you
posted last night. Her voice is
so serene, it's almost breathtaking.

Good shit rimbaud, as always.
I never would've known about any
of this music.

Rock fans might know this song and it's a pretty famous riff.

@FeloniousMonk

But what they might not know that the tune is actually adapted from a very old song called Marcshlua Uí Néill (O'Neill's Cavalry March).

Have to say, they did a decent job in the film of covering this song but it does sound very fake, basically because he's straining to put on the accent while singing.

This version is perfect imo:

I also liked this one a few years ago, just happened to see it on tv. Some great characters there, Glen Hansard obviously, but also Paul Brady, Andy Irvine etc. Good communal feeling to it.

One of my favourite folk songs.

Have to say, they did a decent job in the film of covering this song but it does sound very fake, basically because he's straining to put on the accent while singing.

This version is perfect imo:

I also liked this one a few years ago, just happened to see it on tv. Some great characters there, Glen Hansard obviously, but also Paul Brady, Andy Irvine etc. Good communal feeling to it.

One of my favourite folk songs.

That Luke Kelly version is absolutely perfect.

That second video was good, but that show really disappointed me overall. Poorly organized, imo. All that talent. They started doing The Parting Glass and then ruined it by trying to include everybody.
Showtime's concert: "Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of 'Inside Llewyn Davis'" (where I got my Auld Triangle and S'iomadh Rid vids)was as well organized an event as you'll ever see.

and LIsa Hannigan....hnngh

speaking of The Parting Glass, I wish I could have this version isolated without the acting/commercial aspects (great commercial tho)

(this song was actually recorded at this church (Saint Kevin's)
http://www.fastcocreate.com/3021817...the-most-irish-whiskey-commercial-of-the-year
edit: This is the better commerical:

edit: found it

Never heard that version actually, or seen the ad. That's absolutely outstanding, cheers!

Ad is very cool as well, surprised I have never seen it. Tullamore Dew is one of my favourite whiskeys, maybe it was american only or something. Glendalough is a breathtaking part of the world like:

eASZLC6.jpg

and while we are tangentially on the subject of St Kevin, there is a really good distillery there which bears his name. If you ever see Glendalough Mountain Strength Poitín anywhere, you should buy it. And speaking of poitín...

So stick to the cratur' the best thing in nature
For drowning your sorrows and raising your joys.
Oh what moderation gives hope to a nation
Can give consolation like poteen me boys.

@Rimbaud82 Beautiful scenery. I've been to Ireland a few times. I absolutely love the Irish and Scottish countrysides.

I will look out for some of that Glendalough Mountain Strength Poitín for certain. I've ordered whiskey from Ireland for family members before, I'll see if I can get ahold of some of that for myself.

Back