Céad Míle Fáilte: The Irish Folk Music Thread...

This is a funny song, listen to the lyrics:

whats the song about?

It's a nice song about drinking and good times! The title is roughly"fill up the jug". Here's a translation I found, not a very good one but you can see the jist:

Boys, O boys, O boys, I always admired you
You surely amused the lassies and put heart in any gathering.
When I recall the gallants, all gathered on the Fair Hill,
Winking at the bonny ones and whispering so smoothly.
So fill us up the cruiskeen and keep it full!

All ye lovely maidens, all into the alehouse;
Have a sup of the malt juice to put life in heart's core.
We'll drink and we'll sing and we'll have heigho time.
We'll be merry, mettlesome; to hell with life's cares.

All the merry company, homing from the fair,
Joking and blethering, seeking out our chance.
At length every buck goes off arm in arm with his sweetheart,
Down the hearher brae, whistling free and easy.

I had a folk thread going for a bit, until it was foolishly merged into this thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/punk-ska-hardcore-folk-billy-all-that-lesser-known-crap.3253255/, which despite having folk in the title is really a punk thread (though a very good one at that) and has nothing to do with the sort of music I was posting.

So here's a thread specifically for Irish folk and trad :) Assume there must be some fans on here at least. @These Two Hands @deise69 are the only Irish posters I can think of...

To get us started:

@FeloniousMonk

***Christy Moore..Ordinary Man ***Clancy Brothers...Patriot Game. ***Paddy Reilly..A Nation Once Again. ***Derek Warfield...The Soldiers Song. Too many to list m8!

***Christy Moore..Ordinary Man ***Clancy Brothers...Patriot Game. ***Paddy Reilly..A Nation Once Again. ***Derek Warfield...The Soldiers Song. Too many to list m8!

Go on post a few mo chara ;)

Go on post a few mo chara ;)
Obvious I listened to the Rebs chara! ***Christy Moore...Only Our Rivers Run Free...Black is the Colour...Missing You..The Voyage. ***The Wolfe Tones..Come out ye' black & tans...The men behind the Wire....Kevin Barry. ****Dublin City Ramblers...The Bold Fenian Men...Kevin Barry(again)...****Paddy Riley...Four Green Fields. Those were just off the top of me head.Im sure you've a list‍♀️ or two of your own pal.Are you an Ulster man mo chara?☘️☘️☘️
I do love The Patriot Game -

Aye it's a "family" song per se with the lot of us from Co.Monaghan.

Obvious I listened to the Rebs chara! ***Christy Moore...Only Our Rivers Run Free...Black is the Colour...Missing You..The Voyage. ***The Wolfe Tones..Come out ye' black & tans...The men behind the Wire....Kevin Barry. ****Dublin City Ramblers...The Bold Fenian Men...Kevin Barry(again)...****Paddy Riley...Four Green Fields. Those were just off the top of me head.Im sure you've a list‍♀️ or two of your own pal.Are you an Ulster man mo chara?☘️☘️☘️

Aye it's a "family" song per se with the lot of us from Co.Monaghan.

Yeah I'm from Antrim, from just outside Belfast but live in the city itself now. How'd you end up in the USA?

Yeah I'm from Antrim, from just outside Belfast but live in the city itself now. How'd you end up in the USA?
My da's side of the family came to the states and did well so one by one six out of his ten brothers and sisters headed across the pond.Some stops along the way but ended up settling in the northeast.I've dual citizenship and want to go back to Ireland where I belong.Maybe when my wee ones are older and the like,my wife wants to as well so eventually.

That Luke Kelly version is absolutely perfect.

That second video was good, but that show really disappointed me overall. Poorly organized, imo. All that talent. They started doing The Parting Glass and then ruined it by trying to include everybody.
Showtime's concert: "Another Day, Another Time: Celebrating the Music of 'Inside Llewyn Davis'" (where I got my Auld Triangle and S'iomadh Rid vids)was as well organized an event as you'll ever see.

and LIsa Hannigan....hnngh
Gives me chills Luke Kelly does.The harmonies those bhoys belt out are truly second to none.Can never get enough of any trad..gods music.Cheers chara.

Please be gentle, I hardly know any Irish folk artists or songs, these two song are very dear to me:

But really, thanks for this thread, I really wanted to find some good Irish folk music but I didn´t know where to start.

Anyhow, I really love some more gentle and melancholic songs, that´s probably why I love those two songs that much.

Also, I heard this one recently:

Please be gentle, I hardly know any Irish folk artists or songs, these two song are very dear to me:

But really, thanks for this thread, I really wanted to find some good Irish folk music but I didn´t know where to start.

Anyhow, I really love some more gentle and melancholic songs, that´s probably why I love those two songs that much.

Also, I heard this one recently:

Great stuff chara, The Parting Glass is one of the very best. Have to say, I think this is now my favourite (after it being posted in this thread).

Danny Boy is also a brilliant song, English words set to an old Irish tune:

That Chieftains track is great too, love to see that sort of mix of old and new artists. Thanks for sharing mate! Glad you are liking the music in the thread too :)

Powerful song, in rugby it's associated with Munster...whos head coach and legend as a player just died suddenly last week.
Here's my team...and usually huge rivals (all the Irish provinces are), singing it in honour of him:

Back