Céad Míle Fáilte: The Irish Folk Music Thread...

The Irish and Greeks share the bouzouki and for that the entire Greek race stands behind our irish brethren (no homo) in musical solidarity.

MY OFFERING!

The Irish and Greeks share the bouzouki and for that the entire Greek race stands behind our irish brethren (no homo) in musical solidarity.

MY OFFERING!

That's some lovely playing, many thanks :)

I'm not sure how the bouzouki ended up in Irish folk music, don't think Andy Irvine was the first but he's certainly the most famous user. It has a great sound, the traditional Greek way of playing seems to be based a lot more on fingerstyle than how it's used in Irish music, where it's strummed pretty fast. Or perhaps it's just that one song. I think the tuning is different too.

Last edited:
Tis beautiful, wouldn't say you're biased for seeing that.
Your right my friend i just get a completely different vibe when it comes to my Irish brethren.A music that can send shivers and create tears from an instant onset seems to happen on a much more regular basis involvoing Irish trad,the rebs and all those seshes related.Songs move me from all genres but when my people sing/play my heart & soul are touched with melancholy like no others.A music i was reared on that is engrained in my blood that no other genre moves me like ANY Irish tunes do!#IRISHBLESS

Last edited:
That's some lovely playing, many thanks :)

I'm not sure how the bouzouki ended up in Irish folk music, don't think Andy Irvine was the first but he's certainly the most famous user. It has a great sound, so the traditional Greek way of playing seems to be based a lot more on fingerstyle than how it's used in Irish music, where's it's strummed pretty fast. Or perhaps it's just that one song. I think the tuning is different too.
I have always been interested in the history there actually. I know the bouzouki made its way from the Ottoman empire to Greece but seemingly leaped all the way to Ireland afterwards. Alot of Greek bouzouki songs are played with 16th notes which as I remember is really fast plucking.

Either way love the Irish folk music!

Last edited:
Bringing the summer in

Good song for this time of year...

Back