[Cali]First AR15 build

Lord Commander Palis

Superior Genetics
Banned
Reaction score
Ambi charging handle:
https://cleangunco.com/products/black-ambidextrous-charging-handle-butterfly-style

Optics?:
Sig Sauer SOR52001 Romeo5 1x20mm Compact 2 Moa Red Dot Sight, Black $160.00 - Amazon
or
Vortex Optics SPR-1303 Spitfire 3x Prism Scope with EBR-556B Reticle (MOA), Black $348.90

Probably buying 80% lower here:
https://jtactical.com/products/8
I like their body of work and they are close to me to go pickup with cash and not be as much in the "system" so I am probably buying the upper and hand guard as well here.

I could get the Gas block and Barrel there as well but they are a little above in price from what I've seen at other places.

Any advice, feedback or w/e would be cool.

Edit: Why the hell can't we link Amazon on here?

Ambi charging handle:
https://cleangunco.com/products/black-ambidextrous-charging-handle-butterfly-style

Optics?:
Sig Sauer SOR52001 Romeo5 1x20mm Compact 2 Moa Red Dot Sight, Black $160.00 - Amazon
or
Vortex Optics SPR-1303 Spitfire 3x Prism Scope with EBR-556B Reticle (MOA), Black $348.90

Probably buying 80% lower here:
https://jtactical.com/products/8
I like their body of work and they are close to me to go pickup with cash and not be as much in the "system" so I am probably buying the upper and hand guard as well here.

I could get the Gas block and Barrel there as well but they are a little above in price from what I've seen at other places.

Edit: Why the hell can't we link Amazon on here?

Total budget? How much are you looking to spend on the barrel?

What are your goals/purpose for the build? Distance you plan on shooting, any tactical stuff or more 100+ plinking?

I don't know anything about CA legal features as far as what is and isn't allowed. Maybe @Hogey can help you in that respect.

Interesting handle, it's a Radian Raptor rip off. The raptor is my favorite charging handle. That one is made with a cheaper aluminum but as long as the internals are quality you probably wouldn't notice much difference with mild use.

Imo the 3 most important things are a quality trigger, barrel and bolt carrier group.

I'm trying to finish a couple 80% lowers. I got all the holes drilled, now just need to mill it out. Milling takes forever: if I could go back, I'd have just bought extra lowers but as a fellow Californian, I understand why you're doing what you're doing. Building the lower was fun; definitely get a clevis-pin for the pivot pin detent. At this point you gotta ask yourself if you're going to register it or go Featureless.

As far as the building the upper is concerned, I have no experience. I'd save the effort and buy one completed from PSA or your other favorite retailer. The .223 Wylde chamber seems to be the way to go. I have a generic 16" 5.56 barreled upper with carbine length gas, and it's over-gassed. The recoil is noticeably sharper and louder compared to my M16A2 that I had while in the Service. If I could do it over again, I'd get an 18" with mid-length, or at least an adjustable gas-block.

I don't know anything about CA legal features as far as what is and isn't allowed. Maybe @Hogey can help you in that respect.

The Democrat politicians have figuratively wiped their asses with that "thing" between the 1st and 3rd amendments. Heller? MacDonald? 14th amendment? Nope. The Democrats have a super-majority here and are all but unchallenged. As you can see, we have a lot of problems here.

For @Palis to have a legal AR15 he must:
1) Register it as an Assault Weapon (legislation on this is still murky) or,
2) Install a mag-lock to make the 10-round magazine fixed or,
3) Go Featureless or,
4) Plug up the gas system, thus disabling the semi-auto aspects or,
5) Keep it disassembled (not considered constructive possession) and see how things pan out in the courts.

This is a featureless AR:
featureless-2-300x300.jpg

The Democrat politicians have figuratively wiped their asses with that "thing" between the 1st and 3rd amendments. Heller? MacDonald? 14th amendment? Nope. The Democrats have a super-majority here and are all but unchallenged. As you can see, we have a lot of problems here.

3) Go Featureless or,
5) Keep it disassembled (not considered constructive possession) and see how things pan out in the courts.

So it can have a muzzle brake on featureless?

Even with 80% lower he has to register it?

I've seen the speed reloaders for the fixed mag, it's not too bad.

For the 80% to be legal he has to engrave it with a serial number, his name, location made, caliber, model (lol) and unless it is featureless he has to register it with Cal DOJ. This state is a joke.

So it can have a muzzle brake on featureless?

Even with 80% lower he has to register it?

I've seen the speed reloaders for the fixed mag, it's not too bad.

Muzzle brakes are legal. The speed loaders are a silver lining, my jury is still out on what course I go.

Until 2014 for a long gun, you just needed to fill out an Atf 4473 and DROS, but now everything needs to be registered with the Cal DOJ. I bought my lower just before the cutoff for this reason.

Vortex for optics imo.

I feel bad for you being in Commifornia.

For the 80% to be legal he has to engrave it with a serial number, his name, location made, caliber, model (lol) and unless it is featureless he has to register it with Cal DOJ. This state is a joke.

Wow wtf

Ghost gun model 1

obligatory move out of california post.

i don't have much hands-on experience with either optic you mentioned, and i know that vortex has gotten a lot better (but also pricier)... but if you're already looking at $350 for a red dot, i'd just get an aimpoint, anyway. the aimpoint pro seemed to be around $390 last i checked. *shrugs*

like reroute said, the barrel/trigger are the most important parts (typically). i don't think bolt carriers ACTUALLY differ all that, though. performance wise, at least. but without knowing what you're doing, it's pointless to recommend a barrel (twist, melonite vs chrome lined, etc).

Total budget? How much are you looking to spend on the barrel?

What are your goals/purpose for the build? Distance you plan on shooting, any tactical stuff or more 100+ plinking?

Interesting handle, it's a Radian Raptor rip off. The raptor is my favorite charging handle. That one is made with a cheaper aluminum but as long as the internals are quality you probably wouldn't notice much difference with mild use.

Imo the 3 most important things are a quality trigger, barrel and bolt carrier group.
Budget: $1500 - Would like to go below though especially going 80%
Barrel: I've found some decent ones around $100, but I'm interested in higher priced ones if it's worth it.
Goals: To have an competent AR for shooting... nothing complicated, but I want something real world.

Yeah the whole featureless dilemma kind of has me torn. I know the legality of it, but I don't like the 100% compliant AR builds lol...

Any trigger recommendations would be wonderful. Thanks

3) Go Featureless or,

Great info thanks.

Yeah this state is disgusting. Don't get me started on the cap and trade scheme (gas tax for funding the high speed rail). Shit makes me sick, it's disgusting.

Going featureless is just something I don't think I want to do..

Probably end up having to do this...

$1500 can net one a top tier ar15, ie: pws.

if you're including the optic price, it can still put together a fairly high end rifle.

Barrel: I've found some decent ones around $100, but I'm interested in higher priced ones if it's worth it.
Goals: To have an competent AR for shooting... nothing complicated, but I want something real world.

Yeah the whole featureless dilemma kind of has me torn. I know the legality of it, but I don't like the 100% compliant AR builds lol...

The trigger and barrel is where most of the accuracy is inherently.

Geissele, Elfman all make good triggers but are usually in excess of $200. Rainier Arms, Christensen, Proof all make great barrels but range from $300-$600 and more depending on features, length and shit.

I like the Tactical Shit drop in trigger on my current AR and only paid about $100 for it. Nice single stage almost no take up about 3lb trigger. Very crisp reset too and next to no creep.

$1500 can net one a top tier ar15, ie: pws.

if you're including the optic price, it can still put together a fairly high end rifle.
You can get some complete DD or BCM guns for around $1400 can't you?

As far as the purpose I was more getting at would you like a 16" barrel with a red dot or maybe more of a spr 18" with a 3-15x scope more suited for bench/prone shooting off a bipod.

I'd spend more on the barrel personally.

Two great sub moa options would be a Rainier match or LaRue stealth. $225-260. Mid length gas 16".

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-matchtm-223-wylde-barrel-16/

http://www.larue.com/556-stealth-barrel

Would you want an adjustable gas block? Let's you tune the rifle more. Or you could just go quality fixed block and run like an H or H2 buffer. As far as install of the block get the barrel dimpled for the set screws so it doesn't unseat itself.

For triggers my personal favorites are Geissele(ssa-e or sd-e) for 2 stage triggers and Elftmann for single stage. They are on the pricier side, around $200 on sale. I really have grown to like the flat trigger offerings but that's preference. A good budget single stage would the Velocity trigger but it's not that much cheaper, around $135. Here is a good deal on a curved match elf trigger.

https://www.dvor.com/elftmann-tactical-match-trigger-curved.html

Optic I would look at as it is a jack of all trades is the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 or 1-8 depending on budget/what you feel best suits you. At 1x power you can have both eyes open and use it like you would a red dot. Fast and good for closer stuff but at the turn of the dial you can use it for longer range stuff or for bipod shooting. Gives you good versatility. The 1-6 can be found for around $260 on sale the 1-8 for around $400. Both have illumination and a reticle with ballistic drop compensation.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/strike_eagle_riflescopes

maxresdefault.jpg

1905314d1441673047-vortex-strike-eagle-w-mount-throw-lever-scope-coat-20150907_184619.jpg

vortex-strikeeagle-reticle-illuminated-1x-power.jpg

For the bcg this is a high quality model at a great price.

https://www.dvor.com/radian-weapons-enhanced-black-nitride-ar15-m16-bolt-carrier-group.html

For muzzle brakes/devices I'm not sure what is California legal but this is a great sale on quality products.

http://graniteridgeoutfitters.com/VG6-Precision-Muzzle-Devices-4995-SHIPPED_c66.htm

Last edited:
Back