California Bill Would Replace Lincoln or Washington's Birthday With International Workers’ Day

wait a minute. Arent the confederates the ones who lost a war they started in your country in defense of slavery and you are saying that being against that= communism?

Plus, we all know North Carolina is the capital of California and not a completely different state on the opposite side of the country.

Last edited:
Who cares. I don't get those days off anyways.

Washington I feel somewhat different about, but we named the capital of the entire country after him. I don't think we're in danger of forgetting Washington's contributions to the nation, what with his face on our most circulated bill and all.

I'm fine with holidays being rotated every few decades. There's only 365 days in a year and not all of them can be holidays.

May Day was the shit in the USSR for us school kids! We got the 1st and 2nd off, and Victory Day (May 9th) coming up. That was the Soviet holiday season

I'd argue MLK is still relevant, but I'd be okay with that no longer being a national holiday.
Keep it as a calendar holiday, along w/ iconic POTUS' birthdays, but lets get some national holidays that make sense.

Hold on MLK is still relevant but the Founder of our country is not? This may come as a surprise but most people in the country still view George Washington as a hero.

Hold on MLK is still relevant but the Founder of our country is not? This may come as a surprise but most people in the country still view George Washington as a hero.
lol

Funny the the same people at shock of the idea of 'founding fathers' losing their relevance are the same people who often call for California to be kicked out of the union or talk shit about it as a state- something the same founding fathers went to war to prevent happening....

Funny the the same people at shock of the idea of 'founding fathers' losing their relevance are the same people who often call for California to be kicked out of the union or talk shit about it as a state- something the same founding fathers went to war to prevent happening....

Please explain. I don't recall the Founders going to war to do anything like this.

a simple reading of the bill finds:

"this bill would authorize a school district, county office of education, or charter school, instead of observing “Washington Day” and “Lincoln Day” as separate school holidays, to designate the 3rd Monday in February as a single school holiday to be known as “Presidents’ Day,” if the school district, county office of education, or charter school designates May 1 as “International Workers’ Day” and closes its school, or schools, as applicable, on the Monday or Friday of the week in which May 1 occurs to observe “International Workers’ Day.” The bill would require schools that elect to observe “Presidents’ Day” and “International Workers’ Day,” pursuant to the bill’s provisions, to hold exercises in memory of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington and to commemorate and direct attention to the history of labor movements in the United States."

so besides just combining separate lincoln and washington days into one presidents day-

"authorize a school district"

as in optional.

"37220.8.
(a) Notwithstanding paragraphs (3) and (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 37220, a school district, county office of education, or charter school may combine “Lincoln Day,” as described in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) of Section 37220, and “Washington Day,” as described in paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 37220, into a single school holiday, known as “Presidents’ Day,” and close its school, or schools, as applicable, on the third Monday in February to observe “Presidents’ Day,” if the school district, county office of education, or charter school also designates May 1 as “International Workers’ Day” and closes its school, or schools, as applicable, on the Monday or Friday of the week in which May 1 occurs to observe “International Workers’ Day.”

(2) If a school district or county office of education elects to observe “President’s Day” and “International Workers’ Day” pursuant to Section 37220.8, all probationary or permanent employees that are part of the classified service of that school district or county office of education shall be entitled to paid holidays on the third Monday in February to observe “President’s Day” and on the Monday or Friday of the week in which May 1 occurs to observe “International Workers’ Day,” if they are in a paid status during any portion of the working day immediately preceding or succeeding the “President’s Day” and “International Workers’ Day” school holidays. Notwithstanding paragraph (1), these employees shall not be entitled to paid holidays on February 12, known as “Lincoln Day,” or the third Monday in February, known as “Washington Day.”

my california education must have done something right, cause i've learned to read instead make shit up and cry.

my california education must have done something right, cause i've learned to read instead make shit up and cry.

Your California upbringing also taught you how to be very condescending and smug. :D

Your California upbringing also taught you how to be very condescending and smug. :D

Correct.

Now do you have the integrity to admit that either you didn't look into your own topic in the slightest, or that you're trolling hoping no one else did?

Correct.

Now do you have the integrity to admit that either you didn't look into your own topic in the slightest, or that you're trolling hoping no one else did?

Not only that, but do these guys even live in America? In terms of a day off, the way it currently is is that we have "Presidents Day" rather than separate holidays for Washington and Lincoln.

Please explain. I don't recall the Founders going to war to do anything like this.

Not the founding fathers as it was a little before their time. But Lincoln certainly did everything in his power to retain all states as part of the Union

Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

Edit: @Spin am I missing something here?

I'm not afraid to admit if I'm wrong, but in this case I'm really not. I was a little mislead, but nothing I stated in the OP is false.

Not only that, but do these guys even live in America? In terms of a day off, the way it currently is is that we have "Presidents Day" rather than separate holidays for Washington and Lincoln.

Yep.

This is absolutely shameless

Different states have weird holidays for schools. Where I went to school we had Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur off and there were like 2 Jewish kids in the whole school.

Edit: @Spin am I missing something here?

I'm not afraid to admit if I'm wrong, but in this case I'm really not. I was a little mislead, but nothing I stated in the OP is false.

This seems like an attempt to try and stifle American history.

False. This is only at the school level, and it is entirely optional.

Why not just create a new holiday and call it "International workers day?"

Literally what they did.

"(c) Schools that observe “International Workers’ Day” pursuant to subdivision (a) shall, on the day that school is in session prior to the day on which they are closed for that purpose, hold exercises commemorating and directing attention to the history of labor movements in the United States."

The bill would subsequently get rid of either George Washington or Abraham Lincoln's birthday as a holiday and designate May 1 as “International Workers’ Day."

Spin.

Two president birthdays combined just like it is on the federal level.

And a holiday was added.

And again, this is all at school level. As an option.

There. You're wrong.

I'd argue MLK is still relevant, but I'd be okay with that no longer being a national holiday.
Keep it as a calendar holiday, along w/ iconic POTUS' birthdays, but lets get some national holidays that make sense.
MLK was known have plaguerized some of his work and was an adulterer. That offends me and we should do away with his holiday also.

Why would you create a holiday to celebrate works movements in the United states and not call it 'American workers day'

International workers day it too obvious.

Not the founding fathers as it was a little before their time. But Lincoln certainly did everything in his power to retain all states as part of the Union

Dat 1st sentence. Wrong again.

Methinks you need a timeline or 2 to study.

Back