Economy Updated project canceled: California bullet train costs soar to $77 billion

They should've contracted Elon Musk to do it.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of money cor a train going to no where anytime soon.

Isn't this the project which by the time it is finished will already be obsolete?

China and UAE are just building it now.

JAPAN has had this shit for over 40 years now!

Yeah, I don't know why they don't take tips from the Japanese. Their train system is impressive.

Fuck everyone that voted for this stupid shit.

From my understanding, the voting took place a decade ago, and the specifics were much much different than they are now.

What they're building is a far more expensive. Bastardized version.

From my understanding, the voting took place a decade ago, and the specifics were much much different than they are now.

What they're building is a far more expensive. Bastardized version.

The plan they presented a decade ago was unworkable. There were plenty speaking up at the time about it. We just have an extremely dumb voting base here in California.

77 billion!?!? and 25 years from vote to approximated completion???

If this was a private firms oversight, entire teams would be fired.

glad we pay all these taxes (gas over 3.00 a gallon now, Cigarettes/dip had an EXTRA $2 added last year, etc...)

I mean we have shitty roads, exorbitant electricity costs through the Edison monopoly, and the water is suspect

we also have dimes everywhere, so hey, what are you gonna do

people should watch the Wendover Productions video on why American public transportation and mass transit sucks (would link it, but YT is banned from govy computers)...

essentially our cities were founded much later/more recently than European and other metros, founded generally in the era of the automobile or most recently in the Interstate era. So in the older system the suburbs formed/city centre spread around walking distances, for us it was automobile distances....Which is the main reason our public transportation sucks.

That simple fact alone drastically changes how everything would work from day one, but then also how our Rail tracks are either privately/publicly owned differs from other regions that have much better rail transport as well

The plan they presented a decade ago was unworkable. There were plenty speaking up at the time about it. We just have an extremely dumb voting base here in California.

I don't any of the details, but what was unworkable about it?

They should just can this project. Fuck this shit.

Summary of the OP- Californians voted on spending 10 Billion on a train system in 2008

They'll be getting a 77+ Billion train system by 2033

Holy fucking fuck. And you want us to let government run healthcare?

So you're telling me that a government project turned out to be a shitload more expensive than when they initially pitched?

tenor.gif

I would be way more surprised to find out a project's actual cost was anywhere near what they said it would.

If it meant getting from LA to SF in 1 hour it'd be worth every penny but this is a full day train ride that won't even happen for two more decades. This project should have been started and completed last century.

While China and UAE build state of the art transportation and infrastructure, we're over here building century old choo-choo trains in the year 2018.

It has to be a joke

Day long? You could drive in 6 hrs, certainly it will be half that time on a "bullet" train.

This whole train bullshit is only to make politicians more money, again. Governor moonbeam and some other politicians bought a bunch of land between Fresno and bakersfield for pennies on the dollar. Now they're trying to increase the value of their investments with putting a train on it.

This whole train bullshit is only to make politicians more money, again. Governor moonbeam and some other politicians bought a bunch of land between Fresno and bakersfield for pennies on the dollar. Now they're trying to increase the value of their investments with putting a train on it.

It is definitely pushed by massive landowner interests, but for the most part they are not the politicians. Huge swathes of land are owned by aggregated corporations in the Valley, which they bought for dirt cheap. They pushed as hard as possible to get the train to come through their desolate land to rack up land value increase. Combine with local politicians pushing for the same, and they corrupted the process.

Look at some of these ‘bullet train’ stops. Tulare? Fuckin Tulare? It’s a wasteland.

Back