California bullet train costs soar to $77 billion

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by second sight, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Yorkist

Yorkist Brown Belt

Primitive? It's in the sky, man.

My point was more light rail isn't that hard to do. California seems to have set out to do something they weren't realistically capable of in this particular instance.

2. Yorkist

Yorkist Brown Belt

They did this in BC with the ferries. Let's just say it wasn't popular with voters.

3. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Still too soon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. Possum Jenkins

Possum Jenkins Cultural Marxism Belt

Yeah, I think that was 2016.

If you look at their numbers, they're actually pretty good when compared to other systems. I think they're like #3 in the country for ridership per mile. But this just illustrates how shitty all of light rail is period.

Underground, heavy rail > all

5. Arkain2K

Is California high speed rail still a ‘train to nowhere’?
    By Dan Walters | March 15, 2018

[​IMG]
    One of the elevated sections of the high-speed rail under construction in Fresno​

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Is-California-high-speed-rail-still-a-train-to-12757303.php

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    computer fogie likes this.
  6. sloppypie

sloppypie Purple Belt

As a life long Californian this idea was one that really pissed me off. So the train takes me to LA - so fucking what. LA is massively sprawled with hardly any public transit. I’d have to Uber around which can be expensive. It’s way cheap and fast to just fly down from sfo to any number of airports down there.

Instead we should’ve massively expanded the bart system in nor cal. We still don’t have it in the South Bay and it needs to be expanded possibly even to Sacramento. A lot of people commute in from as far as Modesto, Napa, Santa Rosa and Vallejo and it’s fucking all done by cars.

BART isn’t the best public transit ever, but it’s also not the worst. Which is saying something considering how neglected of a system it is.

The last major improvement was a small shuttle that goes from the coliseum to Oakland airport. Took them fucking years to build it too. There’s rampant corruption in whoever we contract with for construction and it’s fuckin crazy at the lack of accountability.

If you need further proof, read articles on the bay bridge. Massive fraud and fuckups happened in building thr bridge yet nobody fucking cares. So it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that the high speed train is a complete fuck up.

Shoemaker likes this.
  7. Beechwood

Beechwood Green Belt

I never knew why California was building the new train system. Soon automatically driven vehicles will be on the roads, taking people directly where they want to be. The train is costly to build, and once completed will be costly to maintain. I can imagine from a political view point building the train system helps create jobs for many supporters of the political party within California. Maybe that was a deciding factor. Overall, since the train is being built hope it works out better than I imagine it will for California residence.

8. Bagatur

Bagatur Red Belt

they should have asked Germans to do it.

computer fogie and Strychnine like this.
  9. ShadowRun

ShadowRun error Platinum Member

Hmm a border wall would cost less and be more practical.... I would be pretty upset if I lived in California over this blunder

10. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

You also run into pissing contests on government project. A government inspector on site might approve something but a higher up will make the contractor change it just to prove they have more power. Contractors have learned the hard way to bid high on government work.

Governments are also prone to using unproven and "innovative" techniques that there is no experience with.

11. ocfightfan

ocfightfan Gold Belt

It was an obvious boondoggle from the beginning. Flying will remain cheaper and faster for all concerned. This is just another opportunity for politicians and their beneficiaries to fleece us all.

12. second sight

second sight Reversing Submissions from Father Time

the florida bridge collapse for example, there's a huge political background to that story as well

13. ajccoming

ajccoming Green Belt

They should use a few billion of those dollars to make desalinization plants for water.

14. Arkain2K

Here are the list of (now-broken) promises:

1) Taking you from NorCal to SoCal (and vice versa) in under 160 minutes.

2) MINIMUM speed of 200 mph.

3) Only cost $10 Billion for a revolutionary overhaul of the transport system that will unclog all the jammed freeways.

4) Completely self-sustainable (operation and maintenance) with no subsidies or new taxes.

You can go here to see the original proposition and rebuttals before the vote, just for giggles:

https://web.archive.org/web/2013041...ast/2008/general/argu-rebut/argu-rebutt1a.htm

gtm3, Jesus X and Beechwood like this.
  15. ralphc1

Americans are spoiled, we want to go wherever we want, whenever we want without worrying about schedules. Taking a bus in cities is much cheaper than driving but the schedules often aren't friendly. Where I worked and started at 7AM, the buses arrived at 5 minutes after the hour or 35 minutes after the hour. In most of the city a rider would have to transfer to another bus so you are on one bus for a 20 minute ride to the transfer station and a second bus for a 20 minute ride to your destination. 40 minutes on a bus compared to a 10 minute ride in a car.

16. Bloody Pulp

Bloody Pulp Silver Belt

17. ralphc1

They could have had a steel bridge in half the time and at 1/10 the cost.

18. Jesus X

Jesus X Gold Belt

this is a very dumb and pointless train they could have built a train from Los Angeles to las vegas or a better train from los Angeles to san diego.

a train that follows the 5 fwy from L.A to S.F would have also been a better idea.

iirc this train is also not a real bullet train but a closer to the current Amtrak and metrolink trains we already have.

19. Bloody Pulp

Bloody Pulp Silver Belt

I like how the high speed bullet train will commute from SF to LA now twice as fast as my 2011 Nissan could. Definitely worth the costs.

20. Jesus X

Jesus X Gold Belt

it is obsolete right now better trains exist globally.