Law California Is Now Officially A Sanctuary State For All Illegal Immigrants

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
New Sanctuary State laws in California that went in effect on Jan 1st, 2018:

Senate Bill 54: limits the ability of state and local police to cooperate with federal immigration enforcement. Officers cannot inquire about someone’s immigration status or detain them on a hold request from the federal government, unless they have already been convicted of certain crimes.

Assembly Bill 291: prohibits landlords from reporting their undocumented renters. Owners are to pay $2,000 in civil penalty to each law-breaker that they reports to the authorities.

Assembly Bill 450: Bans employers from cooperating with or allowing immigration enforcement raids at their work sites without a court order. Employers are liable for $2,000 to $5,000 penalty for the first "violation", and $5,000 to $10,000 for each subsequent "violation".

Thread Index:

-------------​

----

With new year, California becomes 'sanctuary state'

By Amy Lieu | January 1st, 2017

1514874274210.jpg

California Gov. Jerry Brown speaks at a news conference in Sacramento, Calif.

California became a "sanctuary state" Monday, as a bill that Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law in October officially took effect.

The law bars police in the nation's most populous state from asking people about their immigration status or participating in federal immigration enforcement activities in most cases, Fox News reported.

The Golden State is home to an estimated 2.3 million illegal immigrants.

“These are uncertain times for undocumented Californians and their families, and this bill strikes a balance that will protect public safety, while bringing a measure of comfort to those families who are now living in fear everyday,” Brown said on the day he signed the bill.

But the measure has drawn a rebuttal from an unidentified source, as signs mocking the law have appeared below the "Welcome to California" signs that greet motorists as they enter from Arizona and Nevada.

"OFFICIAL SANCTUARY STATE," the signs declare. "Felons, Illegals and MS13 Welcome! Democrats Need The Votes!"

California passed the bill just as the Trump administration was pledging to crack down on sanctuary cities that refuse to cooperate with federal immigration authorities.

Trump repeatedly pointed to the case of Kate Steinle, a woman who was fatally shot July 1, 2015, on a San Francisco pier by an illegal immigrant. The defendant went on trial for murder, but was acquitted in November 2017.

“No wonder the people of our Country are so angry with Illegal Immigration," the president tweeted after the verdict, which he labeled "disgraceful."

Other members of the Trump administration spoke out against the California proposal.

“The bill risks the safety of good law enforcement officers and the safety of the neighborhoods that need their protection the most,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in September, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Added Thomas Homan, acting director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: “By passing this bill, California politicians have chosen to prioritize politics over public safety.

“Disturbingly, the legislation serves to codify a dangerous policy that deliberately obstructs our country’s immigration laws and shelters serious criminal alien offenders," Homan's statement continued.

Prior to Brown's approval, California's Legislature passed the measure in September.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/02/with-new-year-california-becomes-sanctuary-state.html

Last edited:
Dafuq is zis shit?

California 'sanctuary state' law leads ICE to increase presence, director says
By Dakin Andone, CNN | January 4, 2018

180104171408-thomas-homan-1205-exlarge-169.jpg

The acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement told a Fox News host the agency would increase its presence in California in response to the state's so-called sanctuary state law.

Speaking to Neil Cavuto on Fox News on Tuesday, Thomas Homan said he couldn't believe California had voted to become a sanctuary state, calling the decision terrible and saying the state wants "to put politics ahead of public safety."

"California better hold on tight," Homan said. "They're about to see a lot more special agents, a lot more deportation officers in the state of California."
"If the politicians don't want to protect their communities," he said, "then ICE will."

The law bars state and local law enforcement agencies from using their resources to assist federal immigration authorities. Local law enforcement agents are prohibited from inquiring about immigration status or giving federal immigration authorities access to interview a person in custody.

Gov. Jerry Brown signed the law in October, and it went into effect this year.

Homan's remarks were the latest escalation in the battle between the Trump administration and cities and states with so-called sanctuary policies, which seek to protect undocumented immigrants who have run-ins with law enforcement from being handed over to federal authorities.

In November, a federal judge blocked an executive order by the President that sought to strip sanctuary cities of receiving federal funding.
Homan also told Cavuto he believes sanctuary cities face charges from the Department of Justice and should have their funding withheld. And politicians should be held responsible, he added.

"I mean, more citizens are going to die because of these policies," Homan said. "We need to hold these politicians accountable for their actions."

"New year, old rhetoric from Washington," said California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, sharing a link to a clip of Homan's interview on Twitter.

"Here in California, we'll stay the course and enforce our laws that protect our communities and make CA's economy #1 in the nation."

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/us/california-immigration-customs-ice-homan/index.html

Why bother having legal immigration? Save the money from that and pay down the debt or something.

LOL @ "Democrats need the votes"

I'm pretty sure they have California locked up and, as we know, the popular vote doesn't mean shit with the electoral college.

I'm so shocked that conservative critics are so electorally daft.

They were already waving the Mexican flag before.. If that's what they want, I'm fine with it. With their location, it seems possibly counterproductive. We will see. If it works out, I won't say it didn't.

Oh well, more sexy, spicy mamacitas for me.

<Fedor23>

The old law in accordance with federal law. People label label them Sanctuary States and try to pretend they're not in accordance with federal law but they are.

This new one may not be.

I think they should take it to the courts and find out

But again, it's literally in the text that they are going to cooperate with federal law. They just now going to prevent anybody from going beyond that and helping. Which again may not be legal and I don't necessarily support

We can twist this anyway we choose based on our feelings, but if the federal government has a federal law and chooses to enforce that federal law, California should in now way violate that law or else should absolutely be punished.

States can not go Rogue_One on the Union no matter how much anyone can sympathize with whatever cause there might be.

Why bother having legal immigration?

I'm a big fan of all the legal immigrants who respected our country's rule of laws enough to file their immigration paperworks, followed the immigration process, and helped building this country after they settled in their new homeland.

According to Homeland Security, the United States welcome more than ONE MILLION new permanent residents every single year who came seeking the American Dream the legal way, and that's something I'm particularly proud of about our country.

But that sentiment right there also makes me anti-immigrant, according to the disease by the name of San Francisco Values that's been steadily taking over my State. It makes as much sense as taking legal FDA-approved medication would makes you anti-medicine, but that's the common narrative here.

Unfortunately, we have arrived at the point when many Californian politicians can no longer tell the differences between legal and illegal immigration, or at least they pretends that they couldn't. Blatantly circumventing immigration laws is considered to be heroic in California. I am sure we will have a few posters who share that bizarre mindset joining this conversation as well.

Last edited:
The old law in accordance with federal law. People label label them Sanctuary States and try to pretend they're not in accordance with federal law but they are.

This new one may not be.

I think they should take it to the courts and find out

But again, it's literally in the text that they are going to cooperate with federal law. They just now going to prevent anybody from going beyond that and helping. Which again may not be legal and I don't necessarily support

The Supreme Court will not be pleased, I imagine even the 9th will be like... "we better be careful about this one..."

If the United States government said "send in the federal resources and prosecute all of California's cannabis users" that would be terrible political advice, but in a legal sense must be done.

A State can not say in the letter or spirit of the law they will be activists for the undocumented.

The Supreme Court will not be pleased, I imagine even the 9th will be like... "we better be careful about this one..."

If the United States government said "send in the federal resources and prosecute all of California's cannabis users" that would be terrible political advice, but in a legal sense must be done.

A State can not say in the letter or spirit of the law they will be activists for the undocumented.

If it holds up or not, it's still just a dumb law and a dumb thing to do.

If it holds up or not, it's still just a dumb law and a dumb thing to do.

That it may be, but we resolved this at Fort Sumter for the better.

Not all fair either, States rights is one of the best things about America, but the dark stain of slavery put an artificial rhetorical ugly mark on what people might do with their rights.

Like own other people, or grow and sell opium within State lines, or legalize killing for sport.

The Commerce Clause interpretations often go too far, but, are better than the alternative even with the draconian and overbearing enforcement over our lives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back