California Rolls made with real Crab are Heavenly

I don’t like American style rolls

Too much mayo - mayo on everything

Add another member to team eel. It avoids the "fishiness" that drives most people off and has such a good unique flavor and texture. I'd definitely recommend it to the California roll crowd. I like to try everything from simple tuna or octopus sashimi to complicated monstrosities that incorporate a lot of unique ingredients just for the adventure of it, but eel is my go to and I try to get that before anything else.

I like spicy sushi rolls of any variety. There are so many great rolls.

Never had a California roll, though. Never interested me.

This, eel has such a unique flavor and texture. If I go to a sushi restaurant, the first thing I check before I sit down is do they have eel, or "unagi".

Anago is even better but harder to find.

Last edited:
Freshwater eel IS unagi.

giphy.gif

Sushi fucking sucks.
giphy.gif

I don’t get why people call that thing where it’s a slice of raw fish on rice “sushi”.

TS has it right. Rolls are the true sushi since they have more flavor. Especially when it’s covered with all the fancy looking sauces.
giphy.gif

My wife orders that bullshit in high end sushi restaurants. Always makes me want to change tables.

Do you drink pumpkin spice lattes and eat avocado toast too?

Toro nigiri is the goat. I could never get into eel. Maybe I just haven't had really good, fresh eel but the taste was offputting for me.

I like spicy sushi rolls of any variety. There are so many great rolls.

Never had a California roll, though. Never interested me.
It's the only roll my family will eat and the first I was exposed to because of that. I don't understand it, they are intimidated by the idea of raw fish, but the California roll is about the fishiest roll I've tasted and it's probably fish that they're eating. It's definitely the weakest sushi I've had, but since it's rice and "crab", people tend to be less hesitant to try it.

I would much rather have a fat lobster roll from the east coast.

Lobster_Roll.jpg

I would much rather have a fat lobster roll from the east coast.

Lobster_Roll.jpg
For those outside of the East Coast, these ain't a bad substitute:

Cousins-Main-Truck-copy-750x330.jpg

Spendy, sure (but compared to the cost and traveltime of a flight ...?)

I don’t get why people call that thing where it’s a slice of raw fish on rice “sushi”.

TS has it right. Rolls are the true sushi since they have more flavor. Especially when it’s covered with all the fancy looking sauces.

The rice part is technically the sushi. The toppings are optional.

For those outside of the East Coast, these ain't a bad substitute:

Cousins-Main-Truck-copy-750x330.jpg

Spendy, sure (but compared to the cost and traveltime of a flight ...?)

Wow, that looks delicious, I've never had Cousins Maine Lobster. I thought to myself, what are the longshot odds they actually have a truck in Dallas.....and they do! Must try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back