Calling it now: Gustafsson stops Jones with strikes

Nah. Even if Jones loses it won't be by being stopped with strikes from the woman beater. Fighting men is an entirely different ball of wax. As he found out when Jones drilled for oil with that elbow to his dome.

Oh quite exaggerating. He just tossed her off the dock then beat the piss out of her boyfriend and took their smokes lol.

Everyone’s talking about which Jones shows up. I’m 100% confident that 31 yr old Gus beats 26 yr old Gus.

I don't know, actually. Gustafsson has been through a brutal stoppage loss and took a licking (gave one too though) in a gruelling 25 minute war (which he ultimately lost) since then. I think mentally Gustafsson may be in a way weaker spot now vs when he'd never faced any real adversity the 1st time he was preparing for Jones.

Gustafsson has openly considered quitting the sport since the Rumble loss and spoken about retiring has started fighting far less frequently since then. I think we saw some symptoms of how the mental side of his game has deteriorated in the Glover fight, when he kept turning his back and sprinting out of danger. Never saw him do that before. It was a great performance, don't get me wrong.

His skills have probably been honed sharper, but often it's the intangibles that make the difference. We'll see. I hope you're right. Fuck would that make my year seeing Gustafsson topple "Juiced to the Bones" Jones.

im calling it now Gus gets his ass rolled again and then goes back to mediocrity while claiming he can beat the elite 9 times out of 10

His "ass rolled"? Yeah, cus that's exactly what happened the first time around o_O

Both have been out too long, won't even bother with a prediction or analysis on this one.

Like both fighters so won’t be mad with either winning, feel Jones just too good though, Gus’ time to shine has been and I question his motivation in fighting atm

I dunno man, for some reason I'm expecting the best Jon Jones ever coming off this layoff..I always root against the guy too but something tells me hes going to be a FORCE and its gonna piss lots of people off including me !!!

Mediocrity?
what the fuck are you talking about?
He put jones through some shit that we had never seen before...from ANY fighter that jones had fought.
That was the closest Jones came to losing..and the fight could have easily been awarded to Gus.
I cant believe you actually said that....NOBODY had ever beat on jones like that..and to this day, i dont think anyone ever has.
Dude look, i get being a fan but come on man....lets be realistic here.

he put up a good fight against a dude that was probably coked out of his mind and probably didn't know up from down on fight day
Gus is a top LHW but he always loses where it matters
rolled by Rumble
toyed with by DC
shit the bucket in the last couple rounds against Jones
when Jones returned he looked even more determined and in better shape than we've ever seen him i really don't see Gus stopping that is all im sayin

If Jones didn't land the spinning elbow in the first fight there's a very good chance he would have gotten TKOed. Hopefully Jones isn't on PEDs and they put on another awesome fight though i'm rooting for Gus, I think it's a 50/50 fight.

Gus is a 6'6 Swedish guy, so you cant expect him to have any fans on this forum.

People have very biased opinions when it comes to MMA.

Jones the goat but I can’t shake this weird feeling Gus gonna finish him via tko

Gus beat the living crap out of both Jones and DC, yet people say he's bad :D

How many fighters do ya think is able to do that?
Stipe, Cain?

Has jones ever even been rocked cmon the guys chin is GRANITE... he is not getting ko'd or tkod its gonnab be a war and i only see JJ stopping gus not the other way around, or a 5 round fight.

That would be epic, it would make the 3rd fight definitely one of the most anticipated fights ever which for me as a fight fan would be wonderful! For that reason, I am rooting for Gustafsson in this 2nd fight though I don’t really care if he wins or not, what I’d love is the fight to be as good as the first one.

That said, I don’t know what to expect really, both are inconsistent and fight a few times in a decade if I may exaggerate a bit, the other you don’t know if he is or is not on steroids.. Anything can happen, especially if the Jones from OSP fight shows up.

I already said it elsewhere but,
3-2 since Jones
Admitted to contemplating retirement after getting stopped by rumble.
His most impressive performances are losses.
Out struck by Jones in every round.
Coming off a longer layoff than Jones.

Has jones ever even been rocked cmon the guys chin is GRANITE... he is not getting ko'd or tkod its gonnab be a war and i only see JJ stopping gus not the other way around, or a 5 round fight.
I have to say yes I don't ever really recall Jones looking rocked. It may be that he just covers it up well, or it may be that he simply has never BEEN rocked.
I think MOST of Jones opponents really have a hard time getting close enough to hit him because he is very tall and he has stupidly long arms and legs and his offence is HEAVILY kicking based, so he is constantly oblique-kicking you, teep-kicking you, body kicking you....it makes it really tough to get close enough to inflict damage.

I love the Gus v Jones II match-up, that was simply one of the All-time best Light-Heavyweight fights i've seen and it's hard to believe it was 5 years ago now, but it's intriguing to see it happen again, and for sure that will be a PPV-sales success for the UFC. Just gotta hope no injuries and no Jones getting arrested or anything!

Would love to see it, but fully expecting Jon to pull it off
Personally i would really like to see Gus win. If that happens, then he's LHW champion, and it sets up Jones vs Gus III !! Who wouldn't wanna see that??

OR if Gus wins....it is possible that Cormier may add on one last fight (DC vs Gus), and have his final fight back at LHW to try to beat Gus and get his belt back and then retire immediately in the cage.

I'd want Cormier to come thru UFC230 UNINJURED and not further damaging his hand, and i'd hope that they do Cormier vs Lesnar in late January (a bit of a stretch) so if that happens it leaves MAYBE enough time for DC to fit one more in.

I don't know, actually. Gustafsson has been through a brutal stoppage loss and took a licking (gave one too though) in a gruelling 25 minute war (which he ultimately lost) since then. I think mentally Gustafsson may be in a way weaker spot now vs when he'd never faced any real adversity the 1st time he was preparing for Jones.

Gustafsson has openly considered quitting the sport since the Rumble loss and spoken about retiring has started fighting far less frequently since then. I think we saw some symptoms of how the mental side of his game has deteriorated in the Glover fight, when he kept turning his back and sprinting out of danger. Never saw him do that before. It was a great performance, don't get me wrong.

His skills have probably been honed sharper, but often it's the intangibles that make the difference. We'll see. I hope you're right. Fuck would that make my year seeing Gustafsson topple "Juiced to the Bones" Jones.

The running started in the DC fight. Although you’re never supposed to turn your back in boxing/kickboxing that wasn’t really the same thing. It was just an effective way of getting away from the cage and resetting. It looks like a pussy move, but if it was not considered a pussy move, many fighters would do the same thing.

I like what i’m hearing from Gus in interviews. I’m swedish and he does not come across as ”intelligent” or confident when talking english, due to lack of vocabulary etc. He seems very motivated and has a realistic approach to the last fight and knows what went wrong (if anything really). He does not have the same respect for Jones now.

Ideal situation is gus stops Jones, then jj pops again and USDA forced to give him a four year ban and the cheating prick drifts away.

Back