Callouts that backfired

Texeira vs Glover is the first that comes to mind.
Others include Conor calling out Floyd and Chael calling out Anderson Silva.
Yup Teixeira calling out Glover was nuts. He was all foaming at the mouth staring at himself in the mirror calling him god knows what. Boy, HE paid the price.

Anderson calling out Conor. Everyone laughed at him.

Nelsonhaha.jpg

View attachment 343791 You’re right, that’s a non damaged face.
Yeah, GSP was real beat up that night lol I was speaking in relative terms. Technically, grabbing someone hard by the arm can cause "damage", in the form of a bruise! GSP marks up easily, but very very little in that fight seemed to even bother him that was coming from Nick.

Yeah, GSP was real beat up that night lol I was speaking in relative terms. Technically, grabbing someone hard by the arm can cause "damage", in the form of a bruise! GSP marks up easily, but very very little in that fight seemed to even bother him that was coming from Nick.
Agree he whooped Nick pretty good but Nick got off a few good exchanges

Poor DHC......had Sherdog not had a nostalgic love for Asian MMA fighters, he would have never been thrust in to the frying pan before he was ready. It was laughable, sad and sick that people were calling him the next McGregor - poor guy is one loss away from heading over to Rizin. Peeps gotta stop hyping these Asian fighters so much and getting them destroyed when they are not at that next level.

HE called him out....

And lot of people thought DHC would beat him....myself included

Mitrione was pissed that Black Beast called him out

giphy.gif

KOTW-Mitrione-KOs-Lewis-V2_504802_OpenGraphImage.png

Not ready for the Mouse tho - not even close. He did not 'resign' owing to the fact the UFC did not want him and offered him 'Askren money'. Le Gooch was thrust in to title contention and ruined his career as a result of 'hardkore' fans disproportionately hyping up a Asian fighters. As a result, the elite embarrassed him.
{<huh}

No one in that division is ready for the Mouse. No one expected Horiguchi to beat MM, he was a massive underdog. How is that "ruining his career"? He's one of the best flyweights in the world.

The first one that came to mind was Belcher calling out Bisping and how Belcher kept saying, "just wait until you see what i do to him!" Belcher then proceeded to stand there like a deer in headlights while Bisping boxed him up. Belcher talked about it so much i bought into the hype like, "man, he's really gonna go out there and take it to Bisping." Nope.

Jonathan Goulet called out Mike Swick. He basically had no business getting that fight at the time but they gave it to him anyways and he proceeded to get knocked out in a few seconds in typical Goulet fashion.

Goulet actually was a really good fighter. He just had a physiological issue with taking punishment. For all of the stuff that gets thrown around about "glass jaws," he's a real example of one.

A less skilled guy would have been weeded out of the sport before rising to the UFC level (back when UFC-level meant something).

Last edited:

Conor got exactly what he wanted calling out Floyd. Can’t say it backfired. Anything better than being KO’d stiff in the first minute while noticeably having pooped his shorts made him look surprisingly well... he had nothing to lose and whole shitload of money to gain.

Chael's later career is built around the Anderson fights, definitely a good call-out for him.

That texiera vs Glover Match was effing brutal! What a mauling!!!

Aljamain Sterling trying to make a name off of semi-retired, hadn't fought in a year and hasn't fought since Bryan Tate comes to mind.

That guy on tuf 1, Josh rafferrty I believe called out Diego Sanchez and got smoked.
He even went on to apologise before(!) The fight lol.

Back