Calzaghe's 4 best wins all happened in 2006-2008.

His matchmaking definitely improved after his first 35 fights, which is why I highlighted them as being as the chief culprit behind his bloated 46-0.

Last edited:
Bullshit

Omar Sheika beat Glenn Johnson, Calzaghe destroyed him in his next fight

Richie Woodhall well established WBC champ, Calzaghe destroyed him

Byron Mitchell, should have been a unified champion abter a robbery against Ottke in Germany, Calzaghe stopped him in 2

Charles Brewer, also should have been champ beating Ottke in Germany, said Calzaghe was one of the best he ever faced

Mario Veit beat current champ Juergen Braehmer, he was a 30-0 German supposed to be a threat to Calzaghe

Gave Sakio Bika a boxing lesson, a fighter who went on to give Andre Ward arguable his toughest fight to date

Nobody that you mentioned was a great fighter. Sven Ottke was undefeated and isn't mentioned in ATG lists for the same reason. Love him if you will but Calzaghe is on the fringe.

Hes got a very good resume.

Delaney

Reid

Eubank

Sheika

Woodhall

Veit

Brewer

Mitchell

Lacy

Bika

Kessler

Hopkins

Yeah, shit competition

I am a huge Calzaghe fan yes but greatest brit of all time?? NOOOOOO

Fought nobody and was shit?? NOOOO
He wasn't shit but he didn't prove himself either. It's why sometimes a tough loss can make you greater than an easy win.

Calzaghe is shockingly underrated. He went up and beat BHop and RJJ even after his hands were shot.

How far removed from their prime were Eubank, Hopkins, and Jones?
In regards to Roy Jones Jr... I'd say his last prime as the destruction of Griffin in 1997. Eventhough he captured the HW title in 2003, he was already not really as good as he was from Toney to Griffin. So we're talking '97 - '08 by the time he fought Cal-slappy was 9 years after his prime.

Edit: B-Hop was 43 yrs old, so.......

Last edited:
Calzaghe's resume is a bit underwhelming, but he's still arguably the SMW GOAT and has the dominance going for him. He ended his reign with some quality wins that sneak him into the lower end of the ATGs.

For some reason, people seem to either claim Calzaghe is a top 10 or 20 p4p because of the 0, or very overrated because his resume lacks great names in their prime.

Neither is true, for God's sake. The guy is arguably the best SMW ever, which is pretty solid.

Last edited:
So, you're comparing whole careers to whole careers for ALL-TIMERS, but you're specifically cutting off the better part of Calzaghe's career, accomplishment-wise, and calling it thin by comparison to everyone else? That seems like a very strange thing to do. I don't think he's the greatest of the UK but that's certainly not the base of my argument against it.

Nobody that you mentioned was a great fighter. Sven Ottke was undefeated and isn't mentioned in ATG lists for the same reason. Love him if you will but Calzaghe is on the fringe.

The ATG discussions in media are always very us centered. Not a conspiracy but just because thats were the US media and the american public has their attention. It is no detriment to any boxer not being mentioned. Regarding Ottke I also wouldnt put him in. He was a very good boxer (saw fights of him before going pro) but sadly developed a run and touch up style for professional boxing that only worked with the help of refs.

The fun part with Calzaghe is that this discussion is as old as his career. He was always controversial. For some time he fought subpar opponents no question but then it was obvious pretty fast how crazy good he was and top boxers tried everything to not fight him (yes Ottke did duck him for quite some time).

Calzaghe would have given any US Superstar a run for his money in his prime and SHOCK may have defeated them. People forget that not only RJJ and Hopkins were out of their primes but Calzaghe as well by a lot! Hell he was 35. His hands were shot and he had lost quite some speed. If you followed his career that was obvious.

A prime Calzaghe was worldclass without a doubt and if he would have been able to fight the us superstars back then it would have been RJJ best opponent with Hopkins and Toney and there would be no controversy about his skillset.

He often thew a lot of weak punches (some call it slaps :D) but that was his strategy.Opponents covered up or just lost focus on how to defend and then he placed his power shots with high accuracy.

I thought his win against Hopkins was good. Hopkins had just come off good wins against Tarver and Winky. He loses to Joe and then he beats Pavlik.

May not have been at his peak but he was still very good when Joe beat him.

Lol at those claiming the likes of bika, Johnson and Sheikha are good opponents. None of those guys are champs and at best contenders. And beating an over the hill RJJ and B Hop? Get the hella outta here. He slapped his opponents and dodged others.

Calzaghe's resume is a bit underwhelming, but he's still arguably the SMW GOAT and has the dominance going for him. He ended his reign with some quality wins that sneak him into the lower end of the ATGs.
For some reason, people seem to either claim Calzaghe is a top 10 or 20 p4p because of the 0, or very overrated because his resume lacks great names in their prime.

Neither is true, for God's sake. The guy is arguably the best SMW ever, which is pretty solid.
I’d take Ward and Eubanks resume over his at smw

Hes got a very good resume.
On paper, but why aren't people discounting it the way other guys get crapped on. Stuff like, "way past prime, "not the same guy", "they were old" etc.

Back