Calzaghe's 4 best wins all happened in 2006-2008.

Speaking of Joe, Roy was interviewed a week ago by The RING for their "Best I Faced" column. Here's what he had to say about him.

Jones went on to outpoint former three-weight world titleholder Felix Trinidad in early 2008 and later that year met Joe Calzaghe for THE RING and lineal light heavyweight championships. Calzaghe recovered from a first-round knockdown to win a wide decision over the faded ex-champion.

“Joe was the busiest guy I fought,” Jones recalled. “I never met anyone more busy than Joe. He just stayed busy. He didn’t have the fastest hands, he didn’t have the strongest punches, he was just busy as hell. You don’t find a fighter who stays as busy as Joe Calzaghe – ever.”

Jones maintains that if they met years earlier he’d have won: “I dropped him with a shot that wasn’t even that clean,” he said. “If I’d fought him in the 90s, I think I’d have knocked him out.”
Best I Faced: Roy Jones Jr.

Last edited:
I’d take Ward and Eubanks resume over his at smw
you can definitely make a case for Ward (I have Ward over Calzaghe AT, but slightly edge Calzaghe at SMW), but Eubank? nah, Eubank has a lot of mediocrities on his resume. His higlights are Watson, Sugar Boy, Rochigiani and a draw with Benn. All good fights, but not enough to get the edge on Calzaghe IMO

you can definitely make a case for Ward (I have Ward over Calzaghe AT, but slightly edge Calzaghe at SMW), but Eubank? nah, Eubank has a lot of mediocrities on his resume. His higlights are Watson, Sugar Boy, Rochigiani and a draw with Benn. All good fights, but not enough to get the edge on Calzaghe IMO
He also beat benn

On paper, but why aren't people discounting it the way other guys get crapped on. Stuff like, "way past prime, "not the same guy", "they were old" etc.
They do. Regularly.

He has good names on it but with asterisks.

I agree

I also agree with haglars post in this thread. He’s either over rated or under rated it seems. He isn’t top 20 atg but he has good fighters on his resume and a couple of great ones (Hopkins was still winning world titles after his calzaghe loss so not that past it).
As also earlier stated people choose not to mention the fact that he was also mid to late 30s when he fought these and his hands were fcked. He was also out of his prime.
Through this whole career the only fight he struggled in was robin reid. there was very little controversy with any other win. People saying he lost to Hopkins should watch that fight again

Last edited:
I agree

I also agree with haglars post in this thread. He’s either over rated or under rated it seems. He isn’t top 20 atg but he has good fighters on his resume and a couple of great ones (Hopkins was still winning world titles after his calzaghe loss so not that past it).
As also earlier stated people choose not to mention the fact that he was also mid to late 30s when he fought these and his hands were fcked. He was also out of his prime.
Through this whole career the only fight he struggled in was robin reid. there was very little controversy with any other win. People saying he lost to Hopkins should watch that fight again

That was a weird one. Robin could really blow hot and cold but he was excellent vs Calzaghe in their meeting. Someone who never really achieved their potential.

That was a weird one. Robin could really blow hot and cold but he was excellent vs Calzaghe in their meeting. Someone who never really achieved their potential.

I thought he won that fight, and he was robbed against ottke by the judges and a disgraceful ref. He literally couldn’t win that fight.
He was destroyed by Lacey but he was gotten to before the fight. Lacey toyed with him mentally. I think his issue was his mental strength in all honesty

Stealing souls comes to mind.

I honestly thought Lacy would beat joe after he just ran through robin reid. Great performance. I think he really did ruin Lacy. The guy looked a beast up to that point, shite afterwards

I thought he won that fight, and he was robbed against ottke by the judges and a disgraceful ref. He literally couldn’t win that fight.
He was destroyed by Lacey but he was gotten to before the fight. Lacey toyed with him mentally. I think his issue was his mental strength in all honesty

Yeah definitely a mental deficiency. Shame really that he didn't have it upstairs. I remember watching him when he was coming up the ranks and I thought this guy isn't going to be a force but it didn't really happen.

I honestly thought Lacy would beat joe after he just ran through robin reid. Great performance. I think he really did ruin Lacy. The guy looked a beast up to that point, shite afterwards
He was amped up as the second coming of Tyson and i think was favourite in that fight. Lacy didn't fight for two years after that I don't think. That's one of the best and under rated performances I've seen.

He was amped up as the second coming of Tyson and i think was favourite in that fight. Lacy didn't fight for two years after that I don't think. That's one of the best and under rated performances I've seen.
Huh? That's almost always cited as his best performance. In retrospect the Hopkins win tops it.

Back