Cambodia sliding into despotism again!

ShinkanPo

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Hun Sen’s Cambodia slides into despotism
Western neglect and Chinese patronage have both played a role
https://www.ft.com/content/50f36eb4-93cb-11e7-a9e6-11d2f0ebb7f0

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F042322b4-93d5-11e7-83ab-f4624cccbabe

He has ordered his citizens to refer to him as “glorious supreme prime minister and powerful commander”, vowed to stay in office for “not less than 10 more years” and openly threatened a return to civil war if his ruling party does not win the election “at all stages”. Coming from a former commander in the Khmer Rouge, which instigated a genocide in the 1970s in which millions died, these are not idle threats.
In one of the last editions of the Cambodia Daily newspaper, the headline ran as follows: “Descent into outright dictatorship”.

It ran above a picture of Cambodia’s main opposition leader being arrested in a midnight raid.

The independent English-language newspaper, which began publishing in 1993, was shut down this week by Hun Sen, the prime minister, in response to its reporting on his regime’s assault on Cambodia’s freedoms. With the arrest of Kem Sokha, Hun Sen has stepped up repression, exposing his insecurity ahead of a general election scheduled for July next year. He openly frets about the potential for a central Asian-style “colour revolution” and worries that an opposition landslide could spell the end of his three decades in power.

He has ordered his citizens to refer to him as “glorious supreme prime minister and powerful commander”, vowed to stay in office for “not less than 10 more years” and openly threatened a return to civil war if his ruling party does not win the election “at all stages”.

Coming from a former commander in the Khmer Rouge, which instigated a genocide in the 1970s in which millions died, these are not idle threats. For decades, Hun Sen’s autocratic tendencies have been constrained by his country’s reliance on western aid, which is usually tied to good governance and democracy benchmarks. But billions of dollars in state-driven investment from China in recent years have allowed him to indulge his true political inclinations. In charging Kem Sokha with treason on Tuesday, the Hun Sen regime presented as evidence a video of the opposition leader from 2013 in which he tells supporters of his party that he enjoys American support and advice. For that speech, which has been publicly available for the past four years, Kem Sokha is accused of “colluding with foreigners” and faces up to 30 years in prison. Hun Sen’s vow to fight against “puppets of foreigners” is laughable given his reliance on Beijing — and Cambodia’s de facto position as a client state of China. Tellingly, amid the international condemnation that followed this week’s crackdown, the only country to express support for Hun Sen’s “effort to uphold national security and stability” was China.

Not again Cambodia not again, and again China supports this totalitarian nation to be. Its not that long ago that they have descended into total auto genocide with Poll Pot. Politics these days are really getting hot.

When will people ever learn.

I visited the killing fields and S21 in Cambodia, some truly sickening shit.

Really depressing place to visit and you can feel he lasting effects even to this day. Completely different vibe to Thailand.

Always hoped they would make a big recovery but shit like this makes it sound like it will never happen.

I remember reading about a lake in Cambodia that had a very old fishing community that had houses and commerce over the water. This guy's son wanted to build in that location, so they bulldozed all the houses and kicked everyone off the land and then filled the lake in. The son is even more psycho than his father. I'd be more worried of him ever becoming leader.

I visited the killing fields and S21 in Cambodia, some truly sickening shit.

Really depressing place to visit and you can feel he lasting effects even to this day. Completely different vibe to Thailand.

Always hoped they would make a big recovery but shit like this makes it sound like it will never happen.

Its not that long ago I think the Khmer Rouge regime only ended in the early 1980s, I thought they are already gaining ground but it seems not.

I guess wiping out a countries line of intellectuals,entrepreneurs and free thinkers will really have a lasting effect.

I have read a short history of poll pot it is truly sickening if you have money or a business the Reds will just kill you because they believe you are oppressing them and they are entitled to your wealth.

That sort of rhetoric is really dangerous and should not be rewarded anywhere.

When will you south east asians ever learn...
Kim kong un, Dutard, now another supreme leader

Communism and Islam are the two great scourges of the world in the 21st century.

So...nothing changed. Just evolved.

Communism and Islam are the two great scourges of the world in the 21st century.

So...nothing changed. Just evolved.

no they are not and communism as espoused by its founders does not have or tie to a violent ideology. islam does however

Sounds like they need us to send them some freedom

I+got+you+bro+_16bbf6c70d18c4c2f1bdb6a2fd997c87.jpg

I've met Cambodian immigrants who had family members shot in front of them for not being perfect communist citizens, like owning more property than they like or reading books for example.

Communism is a terrible plague and always falls into totalitarianism

I've met Cambodian immigrants who had family members shot in front of them for not being perfect communist citizens, like owning more property than they like or reading books for example.

Communism is a terrible plague and always falls into totalitarianism

Because they always play the victim card and needs to pain a segment of society as the victim in Russia it was the Bourgeois, so when other cultures re adapt communist ideology they also adopt the idea that a certain segment of society is the oppressor and its just fair game to kill them.

BUt BUT BUT not real communism.

Hun Sen’s Cambodia slides into despotism
Western neglect and Chinese patronage have both played a role
https://www.ft.com/content/50f36eb4-93cb-11e7-a9e6-11d2f0ebb7f0

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F042322b4-93d5-11e7-83ab-f4624cccbabe

He has ordered his citizens to refer to him as “glorious supreme prime minister and powerful commander”, vowed to stay in office for “not less than 10 more years” and openly threatened a return to civil war if his ruling party does not win the election “at all stages”. Coming from a former commander in the Khmer Rouge, which instigated a genocide in the 1970s in which millions died, these are not idle threats.

Not again Cambodia not again, and again China supports this totalitarian nation to be. Its not that long ago that they have descended into total auto genocide with Poll Pot. Politics these days are really getting hot.

When will people ever learn.

now....would...going to Cambodia next week be a bad idea??

now....would...going to Cambodia next week be a bad idea??

I am not sure they seem to start hating foreigners more over there they always blame western government this western government that!

Hun has endorsed Trump and Trump seems to like his autocrats anyway, so I guess he's good for the next 4 years or so. It might be worth it to try to lessen the Chinese influence in SEA at some point, though. At least the Chinese aren't propping up North Korea anymore. Getting them out of Cambodia and the Philippines next would be nice.

no they are not and communism as espoused by its founders does not have or tie to a violent ideology. islam does however

You must have terrible reading skills. The entire basis for Marx writings is the proletariat rising up and killing it's overlords. It's a violent take over. This is the fundamentally fatal flaw of marxism. All successful persons must be purged until we all starve to death...

Hun has endorsed Trump and Trump seems to like his autocrats anyway, so I guess he's good for the next 4 years or so. It might be worth it to try to lessen the Chinese influence in SEA at some point, though. At least the Chinese aren't propping up North Korea anymore. Getting them out of Cambodia and the Philippines next would be nice.

It is up to us Filipinos to kick Chinese influence out we are the one who chose to side with china.

If our government is not carefull philippines will be another puppet state of China. I don't like Duterte's policy at all he seems so sure that we abandoning our western allies in favor of China will be good for the country.

Marxism is genocidal from the beginning. Learn some history.

The whole basis of Marxism is hatred. It is the proletariat is ruled by the bourgeoisie and all the suffering of the proletariat is due to the bourgeoisie and the proletariat must rise up and destroy (AKA KILL AKA GENOCIDE) the bourgeoisie.

So you have this whole class war where things can only be made right and the utopia realized after you murder the oppressing class <--- YEAH nothing wrong this this

"Comrades! The kulak uprising in your five districts must be crushed without pity ... You must make example of these people. (1) Hang (I mean hang publicly, so that people see it) at least 100 kulaks, rich bastards, and known bloodsuckers. (2) Publish their names. (3) Seize all their grain. (4) Single out the hostages per my instructions in yesterday's telegram. Do all this so that for miles around people see it all, understand it, tremble, and tell themselves that we are killing the bloodthirsty kulaks and that we will continue to do so ... Yours, Lenin. P.S. Find tougher people."

PS the commies have been the most successful mass murderers by an order of magnitude.

Oh, and Engels who was Marx's buttbuddy

Here is what Engels exactly said:
"The general war which will then break out will smash this Slav Sonderbund and wipe out all these petty hidebound nations, down to their very names.
The next world war will result in the disappearance from the face of the earth not only of reactionary classes and dynasties, but also of entire reactionary peoples. And that, too, is a step forward."

Even Hitler said his NAZI party doctrine was based on Marx's writings

Last edited:
Its not that long ago I think the Khmer Rouge regime only ended in the early 1980s, I thought they are already gaining ground but it seems not.

I guess wiping out a countries line of intellectuals,entrepreneurs and free thinkers will really have a lasting effect.

I have read a short history of poll pot it is truly sickening if you have money or a business the Reds will just kill you because they believe you are oppressing them and they are entitled to your wealth.

That sort of rhetoric is really dangerous and should not be rewarded anywhere.

Leftists like calling this a slippery slope fallacy. That it'll never happen. Despite it happening over, and over, and over, and over again.

Back