Can Red Dead Get as Big as GTA?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
GTA's mainstream success came from its third installment (GTA 3).

Red Dead Redemption 2, the third installment of the series, already seems to be a huge hit with critics, and the public.

While it is not likely that the latest Red Dead will surpass GTA V in popularity or sales, the series is still younger than its older sibling at Rockstar.

Can Red Dead catch up to the popularity and success of GTA?

Thoughts?

GTA's mainstream success came from its third installment (GTA 3).

Red Dead Redemption 2, the third installment of the series, already seems to be a huge hit with critics, and the public.

While it is not likely that the latest Red Dead will surpass GTA V in popularity or sales, the series is still younger than its older sibling at Rockstar.

Can Red Dead catch up to the popularity and success of GTA?

Thoughts?
the problem is, and i can attest to this because i played gta 5 for like 3 years and most of my friends still play it for some reason, is that people have so much invested in that game that it will become a war between GTA5 people and RDR2 people.

RDR2 will win because it is a far superior game but it will take GTA5 people a year or 2 to convert. If Rockstar was funny they would release a DLC where GTA5 people can fight against RDR2 people in team deathmatch

Nah, probably not. GTA5 alone is the biggest media release in the history of *all* mediums.

Agreed. It lacks the urban/modern appeal, and urban areas are where the majority of the population lives. Same reason westerns no longer top charts at the movies.

No. Just because a game is hyped up now doesn't mean that it'll have the same lasting effect.

Agreed. It lacks the urban/modern appeal, and urban areas are where the majority of the population lives. Same reason westerns no longer top charts at the movies.

It hit a cultural vein... It was / is politically relevant. Grand Theft Auto 5 was the perfect combination of assets and actors.

I don't think we'll ever see a game touch with GTA5 did when accounting for inflation.

GTA will always have more universal appeal because it takes place in the most realistic modern setting, and has elements that the general audience can more easily get into.

No. Just because a game is hyped up now doesn't mean that it'll have the same lasting effect.

Its predecessor won 30 plus awards, and it was released in 2010. You don't think it could gain momentum as the series progresses?

It's too slow paced for a lot of people that play GTA online and there's never going to be as much variety that GTA offers. So no, I think the online mode will not be that popular.

I hadn't played a game in 2 years...is red dead an open world online game like gta was?

This is an interesting discussion. The thing I consider is each series' standing and where they were at during their third installment. GTA V comes after GTA had already hit big. They had time to develop the series to near perfection.

Comparing RDR2 (third installment) to GTA III (third installment of main series), both were critically acclaimed and while I don't know of any awards RDR2 has won currently it is likely to clean house in many categories.

A couple things to consider:

1) Competition

RDR2 is expected to come out the decisive winner of this year's game releases. There is strong competition out there to include fan faves like COD Black Ops 4, Fallout 76, and even the new Spiderman game is making noise. However, RDR2 is probably too overpowered for them to compete.

GTA III was locked in a war that split the gaming world distinctly into two predominant factions PS2 v Xbox. Rockstar's Master Chief rival (heh? lol) came in the form of Halo. Halo gave GTA all it could take and then some at the time.

2) Time Relevance

Games have undoubtedly evolved. They are more widely accepted and universally played than perhaps ever before. With that being said RDR2 may be enjoying the fruits of past labor, and no doubt the Rockstar name is giving it momentum.

I'm sure there are more arguments to be made but these are a couple I had.

Last edited:
Nah. Its hard to get that massive. RDR being Western themed pretty much ensures that it will never be as popular. Its simply not as universally appealing. It'll still be huge though.

Not even close, RDR is big but not GTA big. GTAV is literally the highest grossing entertainment thing or product ever.

Back