Can Red Dead Get as Big as GTA?

Not even close, RDR is big but not GTA big. GTAV is literally the highest grossing entertainment thing or product ever.

That is true, I always accept this argument and can't deny it. However, based on units sold it isn't the best selling. The price of the product got it that title. Has it pushed past Minecraft and Tetris yet? I haven't looked at the standings as of late but I know Tetris was the all time gaming king for how many people actually had it.

Also, do you think that Red Dead could rival GTA if it doesn't surpass it? I remember back in the day, no one thought Halo could be toppled as the king of FPS, and then COD erupted. Thoughts?

All GTa would have to do is release a new map and RDR's crowd would plummet. RDR is a good game but nothing beats driving around the city in GTA and getting into all kinds of trouble. Even the gang and police mods on PC make the game so much better. Could you imagine a GTA where you could be a gangster or a cop with rockstars development? It would be great. Remember true crime for ps2? imagine that plus gta 5 together. I would never play another game again.

That is true, I always accept this argument and can't deny it. However, based on units sold it isn't the best selling. The price of the product got it that title. Has it pushed past Minecraft and Tetris yet? I haven't looked at the standings as of late but I know Tetris was the all time gaming king for how many people actually had it.

Also, do you think that Red Dead could rival GTA if it doesn't surpass it? I remember back in the day, no one thought Halo could be toppled as the king of FPS, and then COD erupted. Thoughts?

COD isn't a western. Not many people want to be a cowboy and ride digital horses.

gtaV is 5 years old and still in sales charts all the time. it was still full price not too long ago....

rdr2 will be a massive success but GTA is in a league of its own

Its predecessor won 30 plus awards, and it was released in 2010. You don't think it could gain momentum as the series progresses?

It will gain momentum but not on the same level of sales as GTA.

Its like no matter how good an Academy Award winning Western movie you make if won't compete with the appeal of Fast & The Furious starring The Rock.

Agreed. It lacks the urban/modern appeal, and urban areas are where the majority of the population lives. Same reason westerns no longer top charts at the movies.

I can't agree with your first sentence based on what I saw at my midnight release.

COD isn't a western. Not many people want to be a cowboy and ride digital horses.

The game does play slower in that regard. I don't know if it can be as casually played as GTA because of the pace. I love it though. I have been to the wilderness several times, and set up camp out there. I really enjoy the game, and can get into that aspect of it.

I can't agree with your first sentence based on what I saw at my midnight release.

We almost had accidents at my local GameStop. Cops would have started showing up trying to figure out what the heck was going on. lol

Something else to think about:

Red Dead and GTA are both Rockstar titles. Hmmmmm…….

I don't know if that can even be fair for them as competitors seeing as both of their destinies are controlled by the same entity.

Would Rockstar even allow Red Dead to rival its premier franchise?

If the two games were direct competitors the debate could be more interesting. However, at the end of the day no matter which is more popular, Rockstar is still winning.

No. It will be the biggest selling game of 2018, around 15-20 million units. It will also sell handsomely in 2019. It could possibly be the best selling title of 2019 too, probably depending on when The Last of Us Part II is released. But nothing beats Grand Theft Auto. ALL of their major releases since III are on the list of best-selling video games. Red Dead isn't on there. This latest version will be, but nothing will top Grand Theft Auto 5 except perhaps for when 6 drops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Agreed. It lacks the urban/modern appeal, and urban areas are where the majority of the population lives. Same reason westerns no longer top charts at the movies.
And that's a big reason I loved the last game so much, it was practically identical to the landscape I grew up in and what surrounded me at the time. It was a fresh new take on the Westerns my dad would show me as a kid. Since then I've lived in southern Colorado and fell in love with the place, so starting the game in the Grizzlies was perfect. I can't wait to go back home to New Austin and revisit familiar sites with the stunning new graphics. The game really takes me back to the Texas Panhandle.

All GTa would have to do is release a new map and RDR's crowd would plummet. RDR is a good game but nothing beats driving around the city in GTA and getting into all kinds of trouble. Even the gang and police mods on PC make the game so much better. Could you imagine a GTA where you could be a gangster or a cop with rockstars development? It would be great. Remember true crime for ps2? imagine that plus gta 5 together. I would never play another game again.

Nobody remembers True Crime, not even Christopher Walken....

Not a chance. Not only is the setting not as attractive to casual gamers, the game itself is really unlike anything Rockstar has done to this day. It's intimidatingly deep and challenging. This is not a sandbox game like GTA or even the first Red Dead Redemption.

Last edited:
Back