Can shoulder roll and crouching be modified to Kickboxing rules?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's such a great strategical ploy by maestro boxers like Mayweather. The target to strike has shrunk and he's so elusive.

Can shoulder roll be successfully utilized in Kickboxing?

It's such a great strategical ploy by maestro boxers like Mayweather. The target to strike has shrunk and he's so elusive.

Depends on the rules............if the rules do not involve any real clinch work, then sure but you still have to worry about kicks which a shoulder roll is not going to offer much defence against......

Edit I don't know why I bothered answering your question, your Spacetime, don't you have something better to do, like play with speedballs or Speedboy......whatever his name is......

Last edited:
It can be done but like Huggins said there are pros and cons. Kind of like Dom and his pendulum slips hes never really in a good position to be hit with a leg kick. For any real head movment you have to be planted and leg kicks are easier to get if youre planted.

Saying that if you can make it work it can be a good tool i use it quite a bit actually. I think its more about using it at the right time then modifying the technique

Edit I don't know why I bothered answering your question, your Spacetime, don't you have something better to do, like play with speedballs or Speedboy......whatever his name is......

No I don't. Got any more questions?

I like that the question is suddenly invalid just because I asked it. Nice logic.

it can, but it is really dangerous against a good head kicker. you have to be effective with a high guard before you can employ risky moves like shoulder rolling in kickboxing. i did years of boxing but i alter my boxing style considerably for mma or kickboxing.

Spacetime is Jon jones?

It's plausible but Jon Jones, showed he could count, when he returned after he parked his car into that pregnant woman's car, for his bag of weed........plus Spacetime has shown no wish to narc on other Sherdogers that I know of?

If it’s your primary stance then no it will never work. But using it situationally and momentarily is fine...

I think the equivalent to shoulder rolls in KB is riding the kick.

I think the blackburn crouch equivalent is the cat stance in KB.

it can, but it is really dangerous against a good head kicker. you have to be effective with a high guard before you can employ risky moves like shoulder rolling in kickboxing. i did years of boxing but i alter my boxing style considerably for mma or kickboxing.

It won't be head height kicks when I'll be crouching down in and out like a cobra.... You think I should give it a go?

I saw the shoulder roll once, but it looks like he was fighting a pure boxer. I see no crouch.
Somrak was a MT fighter who turned into a successful amateur boxer, who then took his boxing knowledge back into MT with great effect. Check out some of his other YouTube vids. His knowledge of positions is pretty impressive.

Check out Somrak Khamsing:

Shoulder roll at 0:41, glimpse of a crouch at 1:00, slipping and rolling at 2:39

Gotta love Somrak Khamsing! Another thing he really did well was using the outside slip of the opponents jab and coming back with the spinning back elbow. Love that move. He was flashy as hell, sure, and mostly fought upright in MT, but his boxing was solid.

Samart was another great one obviously. He's sparring with Sakad here I believe:

The few times I've had to spar Muay Thai or Kickboxing rules I've not altered from boxing other than to elude leg kicks. I also rarely kicked instead preferring to rely on my boxing.
I've only ever had a bloody nose once... and it was from one of the Thai sparring sessions, where I caught a kick aimed at my core and instead was greeted by a big right straight to my nose. Gave me a respect for Thai fighters and kick boxers awareness levels compared to just avoiding punches.

Back