Can some Explain the simplest lifting routine for me?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know I should post this in the other forum but I never get answers.

im 6 foot 3 170 lbs. I wanna get up to around 185 in idk?.. A year If possible? I've always been athletic as in playing sports and simple boxing training twice a week...
I've lifted obviously but never anything consistent.. I eat like crazy.. But I need to lift. No way around it.

Should I seek a local personal trainer to get started? Should I do starting Strenght?

Go to the strength forum. Lots of good info there.

In a nutshell. Big compound lifts.

Squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead presses, rows, pull-ups.

And of course. Consuming enough calories to facilitate gaining weight.

Find something heavy.

Pick it up.

Repeat.

Minus points for using fat bitches as something heavy.

If you're a noob, pretty much anything you do will work. That said, there's plenty of good programs for novices, eg SS, Stronglufts 5x5, etc. The good ones are almost universally built on the same principles; basic compound lifts(squats, deads, presses, etc), learning good technique, and progressive overload.

This.

If you want to gain weight, you have to eat enough to make up for the calories you burn both automatic and manually. For a lot of people, it's easier to bulk up significantly past your goal weight with a good amount of body fat, and then losing after you develop further lean mass. You don't have to do it that way if you are committed to tracking your calorie intake and macros.

If you're a noob, pretty much anything you do will work. That said, there's plenty of good programs for novices, eg SS, Stronglufts 5x5, etc. The good ones are almost universally built on the same principles; basic compound lifts(squats, deads, presses, etc), learning good technique, and progressive overload.

So doing 5x5 or SS is betetr than just doing 3 sets of 10 on basic lifts ?

Don't take a calorie drink; you'll lose your six pack. Eat food naturally, and maybe a protein shake before or after workouts.

what are good rest times between sets for 5x5? 90 seconds?

They both work. Especially for a noob. But you will progress a lot farther in terms of strength, using a 5x5 template, then you would a 3x10. Strength is a function of muscle size, and how fast your nervous system can send the signal go a muscle to fire. 5x5 allows beginners/intermediate to a get a fair amount of both those adaptations to training.

what are good rest times between sets for 5x5? 90 seconds?
When you're a beginner, it's not as important. 90 seconds sounds reasonable. When you've progressed some, I would one set/3min or so is about average. Advanced lifters sometimes take up to 7 min to allow their ATP stores to completely refill. That's not necessary though for 99% of lifters.

Basically this. All that really matters beyond that are the small details such as correct form, which you can Google or lookup in any men's fitness issue, and knowing how to push your body and allow adequate rest without overdoing either.

I always like to go big and then work 2-3 or even 4 sets together in a continuous series, so say:

Fly bench with two 35s - 10 reps
Dips - 15 reps
Military dumbells with 30s - 10 reps
Plank for as long as you can hold it - although 30secs to a minute is great

Or I might start with the military lifts, in which case I'd go with like 45s and then probably just 30 or 25 on the flys

Just start doing shit, read up, always stretch, get a feel for it, listen to your body and get a pump on, breh.

Set/Rep schemes aren’t as important. What’s important is that you’re adding weight to the bar consistently. Just be aware that as a beginner, you will progress rather quickly. Then at some point you will hit a plateau(heck, you might even regress). At that point you’ll want to back off for a week or so.

Progression is never linear over the long term.

Keep it simple and consistent. Big compound lifts. Consistent cardio.

Below is a completely generic program. One week, do ABA, then next do BAB, and so on. Start very light, and emphasize learning the movements. Add 5lbs to bar every workout for squats and deads. Add 5 lbs to the bar every other workout for bench, OHP, and rows. Do this u til you start to plateau, and then switch to an intermediate program.

Workout A:
Squats 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

Workout B:
Deadlift 5x5
OHP 5x5
Pull-ups AMAP in 15 minutes

You need to be careful with some of this advice that's being given out ITT.

Gaining strength and building mass are two different goals. There's a reason why powerlifters and bodybuilders train differently.

If you're goal is primarily to build mass, and it sounds like it is, then you need to train in a way that's geared toward that goal.

You need to be careful with some of this advice that's being given out ITT.

Gaining strength and building mass are two different goals. There's a reason why powerlifters and bodybuilders train differently.

If you're goal is primarily to build mass, and it sounds like it is, then you need to train in a way that's geared toward that goal.
For a beginner, a simple 5x5 routine is probably the most effective thing you can do, regardless of whether strength or hypertrophy is primary goal.

Pierce your taint and get a hoop out in it. Tie a 10 pound plate to the hoop. Start doing taint squats. It’s the only core exercise worth doing.

For a beginner, a simple 5x5 routine is probably the most effective thing you can do, regardless of whether strength or hypertrophy is primary goal.

I'd like to see some actual studies on that.

I think there's a reason that most entry-level exercise programs start people out with 10 reps. It's only entry-level strength-building programs that recommend 5 reps.

If the goal is hypertrophy, why not immediately jump into the 8 to 12 rep range, where it's been shown hypertrophy most effectively happens?

"compound lift" is a nice way of saying "worthless lift"

Curls and abs all day every day

I just downloaded the Strong Lift 5x5 app on my phone.. I like how it tells you how long to rest and tracks your progress. Might try this for a few months.. anybody doing it?

Back