Can someone explain car alignment to me?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I took my car in to get new shocks and tie rods and they called me and said their alignment machine was broken so when I got my car back the steering wheel was a good 20 degrees off. They took it somewhere else and fixed it the next Monday but I'm just confused as to what exactly happened there. Any car brahs that can explain?

rc-tuning-toe-in-toe-out.jpg

Manufacturers design suspension systems in such a way that the car handles in a desired manner. Having a small amount of "toe out" allows the car to drive straight, even when you let go of the steering wheel.

Manufacturers design suspension systems in such a way that the car handles in a desired manner. Having a small amount of "toe out" allows the car to drive straight, even when you let go of the steering wheel.
Well why was my steering wheel so off. It doesn't make sense to me. Is it an electronic thing? It's an 05 mustang btw

That's a great diagram, it also explains why it feels like the car is turning, very easy to imagine if one tires toe is off

Well why was my steering wheel so off. It doesn't make sense to me. Is it an electronic thing? It's an 05 mustang btw

for example if the right tire is straight and the left tire is toe out, the car will keep turning left unless you counter it by turning the wheel (like having to turn it 20 degrees)

If your tires are mis-aligned, the car will want to pull to the left or right. You counteract this pulling force so the car drives straight. In this scenario, the tires are "straight," but your tie rods (which turn the wheels) are still crooked and as a result your steering wheel is cockeyed.

Tire alignment is when they adjust these tie rods so the steering wheel is straight, and both tires have the correct amount of "toe out."

The red LEGO in the animation below is your steering rack (which is actuated by the steering column connected to your steering wheel.)

The two gray pieces coming off the red piece are your tie rods.

a669ece43e7e033ee915355339370299.gif

That's a great diagram, it also explains why it feels like the car is turning, very easy to imagine if one tires toe is off

for example if the right tire is straight and the left tire is toe out, the car will keep turning left unless you counter it by turning the wheel (like having to turn it 20 degrees)
That makes sense. So the two tires weren't in sync essentially

If your tires are mis-aligned, the car will want to pull to the left or right. You counteract this pulling force so the car drives straight. In this scenario, the tires are "straight," but your tie rods (which turn the wheels) are still crooked and as a result your steering wheel is cockeyed.

Tire alignment is when they adjust these tie rods so the steering wheel is straight, and both tires have the correct amount of "toe out."

The red LEGO in the animation below is your steering rack (which is actuated by the steering column connected to your steering wheel.)

The two gray pieces coming off the red piece are your tie rods.

a669ece43e7e033ee915355339370299.gif
Sweet makes sense now. Thanks. It just seemed a little extreme (the wheel being so off) I would think you could "eyeball" it better than that.

How dare you actually post something interesting and informative on Sherdog, what the heck were you thinking!!

How dare you actually post something interesting and informative on Sherdog, what the heck were you thinking!!
I know you're being sarcastic but I find Sherdog to be a very informitive place. Love all you Shertards.

Sometimes they're not in sync, or you can say they weren't aligned, other times they are aligned with each other but not with the rest of the car

When they do your alignment they can give you a printout that says how far off each tire was

Castor and camber are almost never off alignment in modern cars, but the toe alignment will usually explain what's going on with how the alignment is pulling

2wd_alignment.gif

Yes. Sometimes a tire can also fail in a way that can affect steering. A bulging sidewall could do it. If it's a large bulge you would probably see and hear it ("thunk thunk thunk") but a small bulge would be just enough to cause the car to pull to one side too. Had this happen on a car I drove many years ago. Had to hold the steering wheel turned 45-degrees to one side just to drive straight. My tie rods were good, but the tire was bad.

IMG_0414.JPG

I originally went to school for automotive engineering so this stuff was my bread and butter. I'll correct my behavior immediately.

giphy.gif

Sweet makes sense now. Thanks. It just seemed a little extreme (the wheel being so off) I would think you could "eyeball" it better than that.

Any competent shop would measure the old and the new tie rods to get them as close to the same length as possible.

Back