Can someone explain what the dark web is?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I keep seeing this term and im not sure exactly what it is. I get that its illegal stuff but is it just a nickname for illegal websites or is it more complex than that?

I keep seeing this term and im not sure exactly what it is.

Its a web that is dark. It is where the devil lives... :)

Well, you could just Googled it and find out. "The part of the World Wide Web that is only accessible by means of special software, allowing users and website operators to remain anonymous or untraceable."

Dark webs consists of sites you can't access through your standard browser.

The Dark Web forms part of the Deep Web the part of the internet that is not indexed by search engines. The Dark Web cannot be accessed by any standard browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc). It can only be accessed by those specifically made to access it. The two browsers most people use to access it are I2P and Tor.

There's only one way to find out for yourself.

lucy-pinder-gifs-10.gif

Either use a proxy, or say hi to the FBI.

My only interest for accessing the dark web would have been to buy shit off the silk road.

ap_silk_road_website_kb_131003_16x9_992.jpg

Paid to watch some Mexican dude fight a bunch of cats to the death and that fuck ended up winning. As an animal lover I was disgusted

I keep seeing this term and im not sure exactly what it is. I get that its illegal stuff but is it just a nickname for illegal websites or is it more complex than that?

It's just the internet, but you need a Tor browser to access it. You also need to know the website address as you can't just search it like you can Google with the regular internet.

It's often meant in context for websites like the Silk Road and a few others that are black markets. You can order drugs, weapons, stolen credit cards, forged documents, and other illicit items from these sites through individual vendors.

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/hacker-lexicon-whats-dark-web/

Do not and I repeat do not go without using a VPN. FUck the FBI, it's the hackers you have to worry about.

Can only be accessed using a tool that puts you behind a bunch of proxies. This makes it run slow as fuck. Web addresses are mostly gibberish and end in .onion. No real search engines, but there are indexes with lists of popular sites. Anything not indexed is considered dark web which includes dead links from mainstream sites, but its main use is illegal stuff like CP and the drug trade. The software to access it is built to make your traffic untraceable, but there are holes in it. Nothing is really regulated, so unless you know what you are doing and are a risk taker, you are vulnerable to spying and hacking.

Unless you are looking to do something illegal or are stupidly curious, it doesn't seem worth anyones time.

First rule about dark internet is you don't talk about dark internet.

Enjoy Guantanamo, buddy.

Can only be accessed using a tool that puts you behind a bunch of proxies. This makes it run slow as fuck. Web addresses are mostly gibberish and end in .onion. No real search engines, but there are indexes with lists of popular sites. Anything not indexed is considered dark web which includes dead links from mainstream sites, but its main use is illegal stuff like CP and the drug trade. The software to access it is built to make your traffic untraceable, but there are holes in it. Nothing is really regulated, so unless you know what you are doing and are a risk taker, you are vulnerable to spying and hacking.

Unless you are looking to do something illegal or are stupidly curious, it doesn't seem worth anyones time.
Which is why I find the commercials dealing with "protection from the dark web" hilarious because now housewives and similar types have a new buzzword and fear .

Which is why I find the commercials dealing with "protection from the dark web" hilarious because now housewives and similar types have a new buzzword and fear .
That's not what those services are about though. Almost everyone who's identity is stolen had their info sold over dark web websites. These security firms say they can prevent this... they cannot.

Back