Can someone please explain how hunting is considered normal?

i always love how conversations like this are about deer and other land animals, nobody gives a shit about fish, people also always ignore the devastation that farming has on both land and animals, probably kills more than your standard hunters in a year

i thought i read that certain parts of Africa legit get the majority of the their income from the fees paid by these big game trophy hunter guys

Probably exaggerated, but I do at least see that defense. Also the conservation issue (like when they allowed Australians to shoot i believe Emus that were ravishing their crops after WWI, although I think it also helped get alot of the Gallipoli vets some income too) or controlling the ratio of predator/prey....

That being said, I don't feel like the vast majority of people hunt for those reasons, they just simply like to shoot something.
when it comes to trophy hunting forsure. the majority people who hunt deer, elk, duck, are usually in it for the meat.

when it comes to trophy hunting forsure. the majority people who hunt deer, elk, duck, are usually in it for the meat.
good call, totally forgot about that

I have no issue w/ hunting, mainly b/c i don't care about animals tbh so whatever. And despite what movies portray, shooting firearms accurately isn't the easiest for an untrained person, so the 'unfair advantage' to me is not as pronounced as people may think (we can't smell nor hear as well as most of the animals hunted, for example. Nor chase them....) The main problem is my name is Hunter, so i've been asked by a million people that all thought they were original if i Hunt

It's less cruel to kill an animal that lives freely his entire life with a high powered rifle than to raise an animal in confinement and then butcher him in a pool of blood from his own kind.
Legal hunting also raises funds for conservation. Of course, killing endangered animals is another matter altogether.

I think every person should have to gut an animal in school. We would probably have a few more vegetarians.

Hunting is written into our DNA.

I'm not a hunter. Been twice. Shot a buck once. Helped gut it. Glad I learned how.

I honestly think it is far more twisted to eat meat, if you have never actually killed and butchered an animal.

This!

You are better than a hunter who kills an animal quickly. Yet you eat the animals from slaughterhouses where they are confined, shot up with drugs and abused

This!

You are better than a hunter who kills an animal quickly. Yet you eat the animals from slaughterhouses where they are confined, shot up with drugs and abused

Also think about how many animals' lives, along with their meat, is wasted by mass production. They pack chickens in so tight that a lot of them are dead before they get picked up, and the ones that are alive have suffered their entire lives. You could probably feed a small country with the amount of meat that is wasted.

Here is the "humane chicken" that Purdue sells.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-truth-about-humanely-raised-chicken-2014-12

The process starts when Perdue ships newly born chicks to its contracted farms. Whatever condition the chicks are brought in is what Watts has to deal with. They are often unhealthy, many come in with diseases, and some are shipped on the verge of death, says Watts. According to a study by The University of Georgia, most poultry farmers experience a 3% mortality rate per flock, or about 900 chickens in each of Watts’ flocks (30,000 chickens).

image.gif

i thought i read that certain parts of Africa legit get the majority of the their income from the fees paid by these big game trophy hunter guys

Probably exaggerated, but I do at least see that defense. Also the conservation issue (like when they allowed Australians to shoot i believe Emus that were ravishing their crops after WWI, although I think it also helped get alot of the Gallipoli vets some income too) or controlling the ratio of predator/prey....

That being said, I don't feel like the vast majority of people hunt for those reasons, they just simply like to shoot something.
It's a real thing, and not just in Africa. My brother and I did a big game hunt in Alaska where you pay to hunt on indigenous peoples lands and they keep the meat. It feeds and clothes them and helps their economy.

And its fun.

I feel like we can do a lot better treating animals more humanely before processing them for our own needs

It would take a massive concerted effort by all of us to see some positive changes but we're too busy bickering like infantile cunts over trivialities to bother.

As well as enjoying being outdoors and the actual task of locating and shooting animals, it's simply feral pest eradication here.
Unfortunately settlers were stupid enough to introduce foreign species into a historically isolated ecosystem with no natural predators, and they've wreaked havoc.
Introducing diseases or other species in attempts at management has also been a risky, and occasionally disastrous (cane toads), plan.
Rabbits, cats, foxes, dogs, goats, deer, buffalo, horses, donkeys, camels and pigs... if only more people here would go out and shoot them.

The breeder I'm getting my puppy was saying he regularly has to shoot rabbits on his property, otherwise they'll defecate all over and the very young dogs will eat it not knowing better. Sometimes some things need to die so some other things can live.

I can't tell if TS is trying to focus on big game safari hunts or big game hunts like for shit like moose, elk, and deer?

It's a real thing, and not just in Africa. My brother and I did a big game hunt in Alaska where you pay to hunt on indigenous peoples lands and they keep the meat. It feeds and clothes them and helps their economy.

And its fun.
Ever seen the rules and regs as an outsider to go mountain goat or Musk Ox hunting in Alaska? It's a bitch and a half to even get a fucking tag for those never mind all the other regs that go with it.

EDIT:
Not taking into account the price of the tags but for Musk Ox the season is only open for like... a month I think in a very small area of Alaska and you're required to fly in and are required to use a local native guide. And when I say native I mean someone from a specific tribe that lives in this town and you I don't think are required but generally are asked to fork over a portion of the meat to them. Also, only like... 10-20 musk ox tags are given out to non-native Alaskans a year I think. Some guys put in for one 20 years in a row without ever getting their name drawn.

Mountain goat the tag prices are insane, it's a lottery tag like musk ox and ALSO requires you to hire a native Alaskan guide or have a family member from Alaska act as your guide. For this one though native can mean a native tribal member or native white dude.

I've taken the position in the past, and I stand by it, that if you eat meat you should have to kill your own meal at least once in your life. You'll appreciate more the sacrifice that animals make so you can eat, and maybe people would eat less meat once they've made that first-hand connection.

I can't tell if TS is trying to focus on big game safari hunts or big game hunts like for shit like moose, elk, and deer?
he's all over the place. Not surprisingly everyone against hunting tends to not know anything about hunting.

As for the musk ox question, yeah I saw the regs and moved on to what we ended up doing instead. Fuck that shit.

he's all over the place. Not surprisingly everyone against hunting tends to not know anything about hunting.

As for the musk ox question, yeah I saw the regs and moved on to what we ended up doing instead. Fuck that shit.
I was watching Steve Rinella's show MeatEater on Netflix and he got a Musk Ox tag and was straight up saying "I've put in for this lottery like every year for almost 15 years and never thought I'd have my name drawn for it."

There's the "same day fly" rule in Alaska too where you can't hunt the same day you fly into an area.

As to TS, if he was more centered I think people could give a decent response to what he's going for but... I can't fucking tell.

I was watching Steve Rinella's show MeatEater on Netflix and he got a Musk Ox tag and was straight up saying "I've put in for this lottery like every year for almost 15 years and never thought I'd have my name drawn for it."

There's the "same day fly" rule in Alaska too where you can't hunt the same day you fly into an area.

As to TS, if he was more centered I think people could give a decent response to what he's going for but... I can't fucking tell.
I saw that episode. The same day fly in rules are wonky but I think its to stop people from hunting multiple zones in too short a time. Didn't affect me as I was so tired when I got to our camp I slept almost the whole next day.

You're conflating sports hunting with sustenance hunting, I think. If I had the opportunity to hunt vs buying my meat in the store (factory farmed, tortured animal meat) I'd choose the hunting option.

Same with fishing.

Now sports hunting is something else indeed and not nearly as defensible. I agree killing for fun/trophy hunting is sick and probably only psychopaths do it.
There's a third type out there too I might take part in the spring where it's to balance population numbers.

There's portions of Idaho where the black bear population is out of control so they practically give away tags in certain hunting zones because they're basically dying of starvation and they've decimated other local wildlife populations.

I know British Columbia just banned grizzly hunting and while I understand their hearts are in the right place the problem a lot of people foresee is not next year or 5 years from now but maybe a decade or so people will be wondering where all the moose and other ungulates have gone as the boar grizzly population and sows too target new born calves.

I saw that episode. The same day fly in rules are wonky but I think its to stop people from hunting multiple zones in too short a time. Didn't affect me as I was so tired when I got to our camp I slept almost the whole next day.
It's also to prevent scouting from the air as I understand it.

Back