Can someone please spoon feed "The Master" to me.

SakarGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love deep philosophical movies, but I am at a complete loss on this one.

Should I re-watch it? Is there some kind of underlying message or something that I missed?

The movie made very little sense and seemed to go nowhere in a real hurry, but it seems to be so highly regarded. Surely this many people can't be this wrong.

Sure, Phoenix's character is Oscar worthy and them some. His best performance to date. But what about the actual story.

You should always rewatch PTA's movies, especially his last three including The Master.

I'm no film critic but I think I got it. It makes more sense if you understand that its supposed to be based on Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard.
Basically, the main character Freddie Quail(Joaquin Phoenix) is an alcoholic veteran with no direction in life until he runs into the young religion of Philip Seymour Hoffman's character. He finds a sense of belonging in the religion and believes its teachings and practices can help him. As he finds his place among the followers, the religion starts being the target of persecution. He starts to notice its not all its cracked up to be as the leader starts to crack from pressure coming from outsiders and doubts coming from the inside. In the end, he realizes it has done nothing for him and its likely a shame just as the religion begins to grow rapidly

Unlike most character in movies, he never truly changes for the better and returns to his old ways. Its almost an indictment of Scientology and its pseudo-scientific practices the way I see it. I believe its trying to show you what a cult is like from the eyes of a sincere follower who finds some comfort in it despite ultimately leaving.

I felt it could've been better had they emphasized the doubts of the believers more, especially the son of the founder.

I did more summarizing than explaining which probably will help you as much as auditing does but I hope that clears it up somewhat.

There are several books on L.Ron that you can find online for free. Bare Faced Messiah ect. You can go to xenu.net and read about him. Once you figure out what he is about the Master will make more sense.

There are several books on L.Ron that you can find online for free. Bare Faced Messiah ect. You can go to xenu.net and read about him. Once you figure out what he is about the Master will make more sense.

Seeing how well Philip Seymour Hoffman imitated L. Ron Hubbard is amazing. I knew his character was based on L. Ron but to see his interviews after watching his performance is incredible.

Well part of the brilliance of the film is that it cannot be spoon fed. Outside of any of the scientology storyline, which imo is only a backdrop to the greater premise...

That there is a deep seeded, dark underbelly to the 1950's America that would shape the coming revolution in the years to follow.

I loved it personally but then again I am a US historian.

Thanks guys. I get it now. Just what I needed.

I did not realize that it was depicting L Ron. Had I known that. Had I known what to expect, and not expected something to happen (Hoffman to get proven right, wrong...Phoenix to go completely off the deep end forcing Hoff to make a rash decision [I thought he was trying to kill him on the motorcycle]....)

I would have enjoyed the film much more. I was expecting some resolve. There should be a disclaimer on movies: This movie has no climax, this movie has no resolution, this movie has no plot, etc...

Had I known what to expect, I really could have just hunkered down and enjoyed Phoenix' character. He should play that exact same character in a movie that is pure fiction and solely about him. created such intrigue for me.

giphy.gif

It's a long allegory on the dangers of sexual frustration, he finds salvation by finally getting laid.

I remember the movie as a sort of meditation on madness. With the two main characters, played by Phoenix and Hoffmann, representing two polar opposite types of charismatic madmen and how they manifest their madness in the world:

The anarchic, individualist, lone wolf, working class, essentially destructive out-of-control type and the hierarchical, group-oriented, scholarly, middle class and essentially successful in-control type.

And the grey madness of "the sheep" around them trying to understand, adjust or follow them in their folly.

Didn't love it (and I'm a huge fan of some of PTA's work, like Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood), but it really is an acting master class above all to me.

I could watch these two scenes over and over again. Phillip Seymour Hoffman (RIP) and Joaquin killed it in that movie.

I love deep philosophical movies, but I am at a complete loss on this one.

Should I re-watch it? Is there some kind of underlying message or something that I missed?

The movie made very little sense and seemed to go nowhere in a real hurry, but it seems to be so highly regarded. Surely this many people can't be this wrong.

Sure, Phoenix's character is Oscar worthy and them some. His best performance to date. But what about the actual story.

I had to pop your like cherry.

You should always rewatch PTA's movies, especially his last three including The Master.

I'm no film critic but I think I got it. It makes more sense if you understand that its supposed to be based on Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard.
Basically, the main character Freddie Quail(Joaquin Phoenix) is an alcoholic veteran with no direction in life until he runs into the young religion of Philip Seymour Hoffman's character. He finds a sense of belonging in the religion and believes its teachings and practices can help him. As he finds his place among the followers, the religion starts being the target of persecution. He starts to notice its not all its cracked up to be as the leader starts to crack from pressure coming from outsiders and doubts coming from the inside. In the end, he realizes it has done nothing for him and its likely a shame just as the religion begins to grow rapidly

Unlike most character in movies, he never truly changes for the better and returns to his old ways. Its almost an indictment of Scientology and its pseudo-scientific practices the way I see it. I believe its trying to show you what a cult is like from the eyes of a sincere follower who finds some comfort in it despite ultimately leaving.

I felt it could've been better had they emphasized the doubts of the believers more, especially the son of the founder.

I did more summarizing than explaining which probably will help you as much as auditing does but I hope that clears it up somewhat.

090110-xenu-cat-travolta.jpg

i like the part where hes taking the guys picture and they get in a fight

PTA has really fallen off since There Will Be Blood. His last film The Phantom Thread was unwatchable.

We're buying the lead. No one else noticed the TS has been here for years with not a single like?

Back