can someone tell me why David Letterman was great?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I never watch talk shows and don't know anything about them. It's very, very rare that I watch a talk show and am interested in anything being said.

BUT, everyone raves about Letterman. I've heard that he idolized Johnny Carson and wanted to take what Carson did and push it further. They call Letterman a genius. They say he had an edgy, dangerous tone. They say he was an original, a true innovator.

WTF does this all mean?

I'll try to come up with a top ten reasons Letterman was great.

Back then, they had to be creative to keep people watching for the hour after the main talk show (Carson) had ended. Conan had the same thing when he was the after hours show.

Usually that edge gets dulled when they slip into the "starting pitcher" role.

You guys remember that affair that made him respected because he came out on national TV to admit it...

...man among saints now days imo

He had some funny stuff back in the day.

I never got into him, but my family had a bunch of best of Letterman in 80s videos, and I have to say they are hilarious. He toned down his childishness in the 90s at some point. I mean, I bet he still had a lot to say, I didn't see much of it, but the 80s Letterman run was great.

My favorite episode

I liked the top 10 list. Just came off as a miserable prick late in his career. Seemed like the big reason to like him was that you didn't like Leno. I personally like Coco the best, and was a Ferguson fan as well.

Cuz he one charming mother fucker.

Big ups to Lonnie Donegan

Never liked him that much. Leno is awful. Conan was always my go to for late night talk shows

he wasnt, none of these late nigth talking heads are, they are basically news casters following a script, shit, even the guests follow the script

Back then, they had to be creative to keep people watching for the hour after the main talk show (Carson) had ended. Conan had the same thing when he was the after hours show.

Usually that edge gets dulled when they slip into the "starting pitcher" role.
Conan was always my favorite

Letterman's prime in the 80's was when i was not even a teenager, so I can't really comment.

Vintage Letterman Clips do not excuse the fact that 2000s and onward he stopped doing any background on his guests, stopped preparing 80% of his necessary interview materials and proceeded to hold his head in his hands looking at the end clock with zero enthusiasm for 15+ years straight of prime time late night making more money than 95% of humans

"Uma Thurman. Uma. UMA. I like saying Uma."

Letterman in a nutshell

I never watch talk shows and don't know anything about them. It's very, very rare that I watch a talk show and am interested in anything being said.

BUT, everyone raves about Letterman. I've heard that he idolized Johnny Carson and wanted to take what Carson did and push it further. They call Letterman a genius. They say he had an edgy, dangerous tone. They say he was an original, a true innovator.

WTF does this all mean?

I'm with you, I never understood letterman's popularity. I never found him funny, or that good of an interviewer.

Vintage Letterman Clips do not excuse the fact that 2000s and onward he stopped doing any background on his guests, stopped preparing 80% of his necessary interview materials and proceeded to hold his head in his hands looking at the end clock with zero enthusiasm for 15+ years straight of prime time late night making more money than 95% of humans
You mean after his quintuple bypass? After 18 years of grinding out comedy as opposed to the easy-listening celebrity circle jerks on THE TONIGHT SHOW? You are correct he was on the decline, but priorities change and I think the opposite of you -- the lackluster latter years do not diminish Prime Letterman, a quick and intelligent and fearless wit who invited everyone to laugh at themselves a little bit.

he hasn't been great in 25 years

you want true edge, watch Ferguson

Fuckin zero Yanks watched the guy and he folded

Those that do took one look at the horribly implemented skeleton gimmick and f*cked right off

What's that Craig? You going to do improv sets from your classically trained improv background? Great. What did you have in mind.

How long are we talking to this skeleton, Craig. The rest of the episode? 20 minutes every episode Criag, are you fucking allergic to ratings? What's the character's name.

Geoff?

craig_ferguson_late_late_show_a_l.jpg

And you're doing the european pronunciation like "Jeff" while displaying a huge name tag telling Americans the opposite? They aren't going to think it's brilliant Craig. Talk about weather balloons giving you mixed emotions. Talk about famous celebrities you wish you were legally allowed to pee on. Talk about audience screened topics or question styled letters to the show, or current events or old fucking movies you used to like, don't talk to this skeleton puppet. They have puppet comedians over there Craig. They aren't the rock stars of comedy

Fuckin zero Yanks watched the guy and he folded

Those that do took one look at the horribly implemented skeleton gimmick and f*cked right off

What's that Craig? You going to do improv sets from your classically trained improv background? Great. What did you have in mind.

How long are we talking to this skeleton, Craig. The rest of the episode? 20 minutes every episode Criag, are you fucking allergic to ratings? What's the character's name.

Geoff?

craig_ferguson_late_late_show_a_l.jpg

And you're doing the european pronunciation like "Jeff" while displaying a huge name tag telling Americans the opposite? They aren't going to think it's brilliant Craig. Talk about weather balloons giving you mixed emotions. Talk about famous celebrities you wish you were legally allowed to pee on. Talk about audience screened topics or question styled letters to the show, or current events or old fucking movies you used to like, don't talk to this skeleton puppet. They have puppet comedians over there Craig. They aren't the rock stars of comedy

His comedy is above your head

Back