Can Sonnen overcome Mitirones size?

I could easily see Chael beating Fedor
Chael who has been subbed more times than any somewhat big name fighter in MMA history is going to beat Fedor?

Fedor has declined quite a bit but I doubt he forgot all the submissions he learned.

Yes I think so, after seeing Roy do it to Mitrione, and Chael to Rampage. In weight alone, Rampage was almost as much as Mitrione. And I feel like Rampage has better TDD as Mitrione really didn't seem to have improved. However I could see Chael having trouble keeping him down, and Mitrione only needs to land once to have Chael in all kinds of trouble.

At the start, I felt like Chael's toughest fights would be Mitrione or Bader. Now I think Bader is the toughest one.

Chael is very capable of winning this tournament. Bader is a bad match for him though.

Tank Abbott, who doesn't seem to like too many people, said that he respected Sonnen and that Chael was able to take him down in wrestling training, when most others could not

Chael who has been subbed more times than any somewhat big name fighter in MMA history is going to beat Fedor?

Fedor has declined quite a bit but I doubt he forgot all the submissions he learned.

You might be suprised at what he's forgot

Nah Matt Mitirone isn't getting past King Mo or Ryan Bader with his awful striking

Chael could, but he also could burn out quickly trying to keep down a lean/in shape 260 lb 6’4” heavyweight.

I think he’s going to have problems.

Yeah, I'm pulling for Chael, but he's had problems against bigger fighters, and I'm talking about LHWs (Jones, Rashad, Tito). He's done well against LHW strikers (Shogun, Wand, Rampage) but a full-size HW striker is a different beast. If he ends up in a bad position on the ground and Mitrione starts pounding on him, it will end quickly. But given Matt's poor grappling, Chael does have a chance.

I just remembered that Mitrione was arguably outgrappled by Kimbo Slice....though Matt ended up winning by total leg kick destruction. You'd think he's improved his grappling since then, but I'm not sure how much he has.

Chael could 100% beat Mitrione but first he’s gotta get past either fedor or Mir.. both of those guys were heavyweight champs, if Mir loses to fedor I’d like to see Chael win it all.

I think Chael can beat Fedor at this point (sadly). Mir is pretty dangerous on the ground, but Chael seems to enjoy tapping (Tito for gods sake).

But I think he can beat anyone except Mo or Bader. He'd get just destroyed by those two.

Mitriones td defence is just awful, Chael could leg hump his way to victory.

The most Cheal talking the better, so I hope he does well.

Chael's sub game has gotten much better over the years. Since the Anderson Silva fight in 2010, he's won more fights by sub than he's lost (Tito being the only sub loss in recent years). That's actually better than Fedor's wins/losses by submission over the same time (0-1). If this were 2008 or something, I'd agree 100%, though.

Short answer: no.
Long answer:
matt-mitrione.gif

Chael is probably stronger than Roy. Lifelong wrestlers have inhuman strength regardless of what their bodies look like. Chael could easily rag doll a 250lb man in a pure wrestling atmosphere. Can he do.it.while.trying to mitigate jabs and crosses from.a fluid moving target, idk. Great fight if it happens.

I don’t think they’ll meet. Mitrione has to fight Bader or Mo. After watching the Nelson fight, it seems clear either can take Mitrione down with relative ease.

Chael has to fight Fedor or Mir. It’s s long shot, and it pains me to say it, but at this point he has a shot against Fedor. But I don’t think he could beat Mir. And I think Mir beats Fedor.

But if by some chance Chael and Mitrione get to the finals...yes, Chael could perceivably get the takedowns and grapple his way to victory.

Bader will probably win this tournament though.

If he can take down and control mir or fedor I think he can do the same to mitrione. Mitrione didnt look that good on the ground after roy took him down. Imagine if chael actually wins this tournament. Not very likely but not totally impossible either.

Back