Can Stipe Miocic stop the Francis Ngannou train?

stiopic is a dead man walking

One of the more intriguing fights I can remember. Stipe should give Ngannou a tougher fight than say AO or AA because he throws straight quick technical punches that have virtually no wind up but have a lot of power. AA and AO were winging overhands that left themselves wide open to be countered. Contrarily, while Stipe does throw straight crisp punches, he also pushes forward into the pocket somewhat recklessly when he does so. So he will be entering Ngannou's wheelhouse over and over if he fights like he normally does.

Of course he can...

Stipe is 6'3" and hits like a freight train as well. He is more technical, with faster hands, and better wrestling.

Ngannou will destroy him. This guy is different kind of beast we ever seen on heavyweight. Stipe is simply too slow to stand and trade with Ngannou. Ngannou is also too strong for his wrestling.

Too slow? What on earth makes you think Stipe Miocic is too slow?

Could it be.. his skin color?

IMG_2243.JPG

I wonder if Stipe can be a more flexible and adaptive fighter, the way Cain has been at HW. Cain was "like water" in that he fought according to the opponents weaknesses instead on relying on a subset of his strengths.

A major element of Stipe's success has been his team's ability to identify weaknesses of an opponent, and craft a strategy accordingly. And their game plans are not static ones but more like flowcharts: if A doesn't work go to B, if B doesn't work go to C and so on down the line. A lot of people seem to think he fights the same way all the time because he doesn't flash a wide variety of "tools." But he's kind of like fast food Mexican — a limited range of ingredients that can be configured in a myriad of ways.

A major element of Stipe's success has been his team's ability to identify weaknesses of an opponent, and craft a strategy accordingly. And their game plans are not static ones but more like flowcharts: if A doesn't work go to B, if B doesn't work go to C and so on down the line. A lot of people seem to think he fights the same way all the time because he doesn't flash a wide variety of "tools." But he's kind of like fast food Mexican — a limited range of ingredients that can be configured in a myriad of ways.

I think so too. His first fight against JDS showed it well, he mixed pressure-wrestling with striking really well. But that JDS was really tough, and I'm a bit afraid that Ngannou is a bit like that monster. Stuffs TDs and dominates the stand up.

I agree with you that Stipe is more well-rounded than say, JDS, Reem and Ngannou. But being it a HW fight, I'd "bet carefully" on any side, it's an open fight IMO.

What I said about Aldo is an extreme case of a fighter who really sticks to one formula and seems unable to adapt to his opponent. It's not Stipe's case, hasn't been so far.

Stipe needs to study tape, find out what Ngannou likes to do and develop a strategy to avoid his power. Make him beat you some other way than with a single power punch.

Stipe is going to rape Ngannou. I hope the odds do NOT represent that though. :)

can't wait for this fight

everyone touch tips to ensure both fighters stay healthy

One of the more intriguing fights I can remember. Stipe should give Ngannou a tougher fight than say AO or AA because he throws straight quick technical punches that have virtually no wind up but have a lot of power. AA and AO were winging overhands that left themselves wide open to be countered. Contrarily, while Stipe does throw straight crisp punches, he also pushes forward into the pocket somewhat recklessly when he does so. So he will be entering Ngannou's wheelhouse over and over if he fights like he normally does.

It will be interesting to see how he approaches this, thus far in his recent run(unlike his earlier UFC career) he's been very tactically sound looking to target weaknesses, Reem and JDS's dodgy defence when pressured, Hunt's wrestling/cardio, Werdum's dodgy defence pushing forward, etc. Not sure he has such an easy tactical choice here though, ideally I think an opponent would be looking to stay on the outside of Ngannou and pick counters or take him down when I'm not sure Stipe is fast technical enough for the former or a good enough wrestler for the latter.

He might have to as you say step into the lions den here, if not finishing Ngannou then at least landing on him enough to limit his aggression.

Chael P Sonnen weighs in, and brings some interesting variables.

Can Ngannou overcome the current champ, on less than a couple months notice?

And what if Stipe switches things up, and uses his collegiate-level wrestling?

This fight has SO many interesting, unanswered questions...

That's what makes it exciting. It's not a one-sided fight at all, despite what people are claiming...even if it turns out that way neither guy has done anything to warrant anything but complete respect and hype going into this fight.

I expect it to be war, most should expect it to be a war, it may not be a war, but it probably will be a war. It might even be as good as Joshua/Wilder

I'm leaning towards Stipe for this one. He's more technical and is currently a step or two above the guys that Francis had KO'd.

Let's not forget that Overeem fought already two times in 2017 before Ngannou fight and was seriously wobbled in both of them. Stipe not only never had 74 bouts across MMA & Kickboxing to accumulate damage like Overeem, he also comes more fresh, because he suffered no damage in his last fight against JDS.

Many people, including Sonnen here, bring up the wrestling as a potential deciding factor against Ngannou, but as far as I remember, didn't Ngannou already handle a great wrestler in Curtis Blaydes rather well? I know Curtis is no Stipe, but when it comes to wrestling, aren't his credentials better or at least on par? Ngannou was even more inexperienced when he faced Curtis, but what I'm trying to say is that I have a feeling that his raw athleticism and brute strength alone can get him very far against good wrestlers, not to mention that he's getting better and better technically as we speak. He also seemed to handle Overeem rather easily in the clinch where Reem is usually pretty strong, so I'm not really sure that Stipe could impose his will on him with his wrestling.

If anyone in the world can stop Ngannou that's Stipe

Mortal beings cannot stop this behemoth of a man. It will take something otherworldly to stop N'gannou.

Mortal beings cannot stop this behemoth of a man. It will take something otherworldly to stop N'gannou.
Maybe, but we just don't know yet. :p

I hope Stipe gets to test Ngannou's chin to see if it holds up and find out if he's able to stay composed as well if he gets cracked. I wanna find out more about this guy.

Back