Social The Southern Poverty Law Center Has Lost All Integrity, Yet More Profitable Than Ever Before.

Agreed, she is so over-the top unrelenting in her demonization of Islam that it loses seriousness as an actual critique. She also doesn't seem to distinguish between types of Islam.
Yeah she's not the most substantive critic of Islam. Her career has been made out of being a victim essentially, from the autobiography(which may or may not be entirely true) to the case of Theo Van Gogh(which was definitely true and troubling), her message has only ever had force because of her victimhood status this labeling by the SPLC only feeds into that victimhood.
The entire idea of 'extremist' is racially charged for the SPLC. It would not dream of drawing up a list attacking everybody who was vehemently anti-Christian as an 'extremist.' Extremism and bigotry, for SPLC, seem to be entirely derivative products of white supremacy. Which is why Islam becomes interpreted as little more than a potential vehicle for SPLC to attack white supremacy, converting all those who attack Islam into honorary white supremacists. They no longer exist as individuals, they are strictly evidence of SPLC's greatness and moral virtue. Christian identity movement = monstrous evil by white racists, Islamic identity movement = oppressed by monstrously evil white racists. Human reality divides into two camps, those penitent of white racism (superior!), and those who are not (inferior ...).

It's oddly reminiscent of Nazi and Communist campaigns to designate people as 'Jewish' or 'Fascist' simply because they oppose Nazism or Communism. Again, the closest equivalent is medieval heresy hunters, who seek to convict people of belonging to the Group of Evil, and care little about whether their charges make any sense relative to any given person. Simply resisting the Inquisition is proof of your membership in the Group of Evil (or, at very least, you seem to be a sympathizer or facilitator ... so, basically, evil).
Its a common problem for elements on the left. Because of actual major gains in civil rights the racist boogeyman has become increasingly mundane to continue to justify the fight against racism. No longer is lynching the worry of the day but rather books and articles published on seedy corners of the internet are the main vehicle for modern day racial extremism.

The entire idea of 'extremist' is racially charged for the SPLC. It would not dream of drawing up a list attacking everybody who was vehemently anti-Christian as an 'extremist.' .

giphy.gif

They don't sincerely believe Murray is a white nationalist, but they wish to channel political anger at his field of study (IQ and its relation to socioeconomic success) against whiteness (the ideological bedrock of Marxist "privilege theory"), therefore he is an obvious target for radical organizations like the SPLC.

More of your dumbfuck historical Marxist revisionism, huh?

Yeah, Marx was full of white guilt and always put blacks and browns on a pedestal. Just like today's lib-cuck university professors! And Soros!

“It is now completely clear to me that he (Ferdinand Lassalle), as is proved by his cranial formation and his hair, descends from the Negroes from Egypt, assuming that his mother or grandmother had not interbred with a n*****. Now this union of Judaism and Germanism with a basic Negro substance must produce a peculiar product. The obtrusiveness of the fellow is also n*****-like.” - KM, 1862 letter to Engels

“Without violence, nothing is ever accomplished in history... Is it a misfortune that magnificent California was seized from the lazy Mexicans who did not know what to do with it?” - KM

More of your dumbfuck historical Marxist revisionism, huh?

Yeah, Marx was full of white guilt and always put blacks and browns on a pedestal. Just like today's lib-cuck university professors! And Soros!

“It is now completely clear to me that he (Ferdinand Lassalle), as is proved by his cranial formation and his hair, descends from the Negroes from Egypt, assuming that his mother or grandmother had not interbred with a n*****. Now this union of Judaism and Germanism with a basic Negro substance must produce a peculiar product. The obtrusiveness of the fellow is also n*****-like.” - KM, 1862 letter to Engels

“Without violence, nothing is ever accomplished in history... Is it a misfortune that magnificent California was seized from the lazy Mexicans who did not know what to do with it?” - KM

Whoa bud, I never claimed Karl Marx was dumb enough to be a Marxist. American Marxism developed long after his death. You're abusing etymology. How many interpretations of Christianity actually reflect the behaviors of Christ? The rest still exist.

How Did Maajid Nawaz End Up on a List of 'Anti-Muslim Extremists'?
By David A. Graham

lead_960.jpg

When earlier this week, the Southern Poverty Law Center and three other groups released a list of 15 “anti-Muslim extremists,” many of the names came as no surprise. They included Pam Geller, who led the fight against the misleadingly nicknamed Ground Zero mosque, and her ally Frank Gaffney, who has called Barack Obama a crypto-Muslim and assailed Grover Norquist as a Islamist agent. Others were more controversial, like Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who is beloved by some as a truthteller and reviled by others as a bigot.

But one name in particular stuck out: Maajid Nawaz, a British activist who runs the Quilliam Foundation, which calls itself “the world’s first counter-extremism think tank.” (It’s named for Abdullah (né William) Quilliam, a British convert who opened the U.K.’s first mosque in 1889.)

Nawaz is a star in certain anti-terror circles, thanks to a compelling personal narrative: A self-described former extremist who spent four years in an Egyptian prison, he has changed approaches and now argues for a pluralistic and peaceful vision of Islam. He stood for Parliament as a Liberal Democrat in 2015, and advised Prime Ministers Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, and David Cameron.

Nawaz’s work has earned him detractors—critics claim he has embellished or neatened his narrative, some attack him for opportunism, and others question his liberal bona fides—but calling him an “anti-Muslim extremist” is a surprise. Unlike the likes of Gaffney and Geller, he doesn’t espouse the view that Islam itself is a problem; unlike Ali, who now describes herself as an atheist, Nawaz identifies as a Muslim.

When I spoke to Nawaz on Thursday, he was both baffled and furious.

“They put a target on my head. The kind of work that I do, if you tell the wrong kind of Muslims that I’m an extremist, then that means I’m an target,” he said. “They don’t have to deal with any of this. I don’t have any protection. I don’t have any state protection. These people are putting me on what I believe is a hit list.”

Not that he took well to his inclusion on its merits, either.

“I’m the one who’s a Muslim in this!” he said. I’m listed there with people such as Pam Geller? It’s unbelievable.” He pointed out that he does things like appear in an Intelligence Squared debate arguing for the proposition—against Ali, in fact—that Islam is a religion of peace. (“I lost the vote,” he said, with a tinge of bitterness.) He has also won praise for battling Islamophobes in the press.

The report cited several counts against Nawaz. One is that he tweeted a cartoon of Muhammad—an intentionally provocative act, given that many Sunnis find it blasphemous to depict the prophet, but one that doesn’t fit neatly into the “anti-Islam” category. (Most Shiites don’t object at all, but in any case, is simply committing a blasphemous act anti-Islam?) A second is that Nawaz visited a strip club in London during a bachelor party, which is true, tasteless, and seemingly irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Third is a Daily Mail op-ed about the niqab, or face veil. The report states that he “called for criminalizing the wearing of the veil, or niqab, in many public places.” Nawaz counters that he only called it inappropriate. But he did write that there should be a “policy” barring the niqab in certain spaces: “Let me make this clear: it is our duty to adopt a policy barring the wearing of niqabs in these public buildings. Here’s my test: where a balaclava, motorcycle helmet or face mask would be deemed inappropriate, so should a niqab.”

The most interesting is the fourth point, because it highlights a peculiar dynamic: The SPLC and Nawaz are each accusing the other of McCarthyism. The report states:

In the list sent to a top British security official in 2010, headlined “Preventing Terrorism: Where Next for Britain?” Quilliam wrote, “The ideology of non-violent Islamists is broadly the same as that of violent Islamists; they disagree only on tactics.” An official with Scotland Yard’s Muslim Contact Unit told The Guardian that “[t]he list demonises a whole range of groups that in my experience have made valuable contributions to counter-terrorism.”

Nawaz disputes the claim. Quilliam says the list in question was an appendix to a larger report, and simply a list of British Muslim organizations; in fact, he says, the point was to say that such groups should be legal, even if they were extremist, so long as they were not violent. “It wasn’t a terror list,” Nawaz said. “We were saying, don’t ban these groups. We’ve gone through the looking glass. It’s the direct opposite of my life’s work.” He pointed to an exchange on the floor of Parliament, in which then-Prime Minister Gordon Brown cited him in defense of the notion that Islamist parties such as Hizb ut-Tahrir, with which Nawaz was affiliated in his radical days, ought not to be illegal:

Even many of those who have left the groups and feel that they should be exposed are of the view that exposing them is not the same as banning them altogether. Maajid Nawaz, who talked about the matter on “Newsnight,” said: “My ideal scenario would be not to ban the party but it would be that through the … power of discussion and persuasion that eventually the party would fizzle out in this country.”

Mark Potok, a senior fellow at SPLC who wrote the report (and has a long resume of similar work on extremists), told me that Quilliam’s list of groups was the linchpin of the case for Nawaz as an anti-Muslim extremist. (Potok also noted that the list was compiled in collaboration with Media Matters for America, the Center for New Community, and ReThink Media.)

Nawaz, meanwhile, accused SPLC of “McCarthyism” for compiling the guide. “Who compiles lists of individuals these days?” he said. “Even if someone was an anti-Muslim bigot, there shouldn’t be lists of names of individuals.”

Potok rejected the argument out of hand. “If criticizing any number of people is McCarthyism, then I guess the only answer to never criticize anyone. One can disagree or agree with a particular listing that we’ve made. … In some sense, to make a statement like that is to say that we shouldn’t criticize.” He noted that SPLC was careful never to list addresses or contact information for those it labeled extremists. “Our point is not to make these people targets for violence, Potok said. “The point is to tamp down the really baseless targeting.” While Nawaz demanded a correction, retraction, and apology, Potok said none was coming.

One thing that seemed to particularly irk Nawaz was the fact that the report came from SPLC. While the group is controversial—and particularly loathed on the American right—Nawaz’s objection was that he has known and respected their work for years. “It lends the wingnuts a level of credibility,” he said.

Yet Potok surely has a point about lists, even if one rejects Nawaz’s inclusion on this particular one. If naming and shaming the likes of Geller and Gaffney is beyond the pale, how should one combat Islamophobia, which is a real and growing problem? Nawaz endorsed the work of Tell MAMA UK, an organization that tracks attacks on Muslims and other incidents of Islamophobia.

There are legitimate disagreements about the most effective way of fighting Islamophobia. There are also grounds to argue about whether what Quilliam is doing is truly making much difference. But what makes Nawaz’s appearance on the list so peculiar is that he and SPLC share the goal of fighting back against unfair targeting of Muslims. If even natural-seeming allies are preoccupied fighting each other about tactics, what hope is there prevailing in the fight against real bigots?

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...ajid-nawaz-splc-anti-muslim-extremist/505685/

Southern Poverty Law Center Scraps Its Anti-Muslim Hate List
Reason Magazine said:
Last month, I wrote a piece calling out the Southern Poverty Law Center, the country's self-appointed watchdog of hate groups, for putting Ayan Hirsi Ali, the Somali victim of genital mutilation, and Maajid Nawaz, a Muslim militant-turned-reformer, on its anti-Muslim hate list along with genuine Islamophobes like Pamela Geller. And yesterday came word that the SPLC quietly scrapped its list called the Journalist's Manual: Field Guide to Anti-Muslim Extremists.

Poof! It's gone.

I wish I could take credit for helping SPLC see the light, but, I suspect, the real reason was that Nawaz recently retained Clare Locke—the same firm that went after Rolling Stone for publishing the University of Virginia rape confabulation—to sue SPLC for defamation. Nawaz claims that SPLC showed a "reckless disregard for the truth"—the legal bar for proving actual malice to make a defamation lawsuit stick—when it put him on its hate list. And instead of fighting him in court, SPLC seems to have folded like a four flusher.

$328 million that it's been doubling literally every decade. No, it is because it probably didn't want probing litigation to expose just how hollow its name-and-shame exercise is.

Nawaz believes that Islam is a religion of peace and is publicly spooked by the rising Islamophobia in the West. (How could he not be? He is after all a practicing Muslim of Pakistani descent living in Britain.) He routinely condemns anti-Muslim bigotry and insists that Muslim profiling is counterproductive and ineffective—on Fox News, to boot.

So how in Allah's name did he land on a list of people who allegedly "routinely espouse a wide range of utter falsehoods, all designed to make Muslims appear as bloodthirsty terrorists or people intent on undermining American constitutional freedoms."

He is the founder of the Quilliam Foundation, an Islamic reformist outfit fighting against jihadist interpretations of the Quran, and in 2014 he tweeted a cartoon of Jesus and Muhammad with the note that "God is greater than to feel threatened by it."

This, along with accusations that he exaggerated some aspects of his biography, is apparently why SPLC thought it fit to put him in the same league as Geller who sponsored the infamous Draw-A-Mohammad cartoon. In other words, this righteous outfit sees no difference between constructive pushback by a well meaning dissenter and a cheap stunt by a vicious troll.

But painting with such a broad brush is wrongheaded for a whole host of reasons not the least of which is that it disarms reformers by taking away an important tool of protest. When Geller sponsored her odious contest, she was sticking it to Muslims. But that is far from Nawaz's motive, whatever one thinks of his tactics. He is simply trying to push back against his religion's rigid notions of blasphemy and stretch the inner boundaries of acceptable opinion. In any normal universe, he would be applauded for his courageous stance against the forces of orthodoxy and intolerance. But not in SPLC. Indeed, if SPLC had been around when Martin Luther denounced the Papacy as "the institution of the Devil" and calledKing Henry the Eighth, a devout Catholic who later became a Protestant, "a pig, an ass, a dunghill, the spawn of an adder, a basilisk, a lying buffoon dressed in a king's robes, a mad fool with a frothy mouth and a whorish face… a lubberly ass… a frantic madman," it might well have branded Luther a bigot and a hater.

Putting Nawaz on a hate list is irresponsible, but this is not the first time that SPLC's over-zealous hate classification has gotten it into trouble. Indeed, as I noted , it put the Family Research Center, a Christian traditional-values outfit, on its list of anti-gay organizations featured on its "Hate Map" page, which prompted a gun-toting gay activist to show up in its office and shoot a guard. It also put Dr. Ben Carson on its "extremist watch list" because he called homosexuality a sin. Again, one can disagree with them. But haters?

Nor is the hate list the outfit's only questionable exercise. As Jesse Walker has pointed out, it also plays fast-and-loose when tabulating the number of hate groups in the country. Its 2016 report on "The Year in Hate and Extremism" found a big spike in KKK groups, but that was at least partly because the KKK formed smaller new klaverns after two big Klans fell apart, something that SPLC only reluctantly conceded. And there is also some double counting in its list of sinister "Patriot" groups – for example it counts WorldNetDaily and WorldNetDaily's book imprint as separate entities.

Still, SPLC is not completely useless yet—although it is working on it. This is terribly unfortunate given that the country really could use a credible outfit tracking hate and hate groups at this juncture. SPLC did some excellent work fighting lingering segregation in the South in the 1970s, scoring some major legal victories against vile white supremacists.

But now it has become more interested in enforcing (il)liberal orthodoxy than fighting real hate.
The author of that article is sensible not to believe they were reacting to her article from last month (<-- you'll want to follow this link because she hyperlinked the wrong one in her article). This took quite a bit longer than that, and one of our own was on top of it:
Can the SPLC be trusted after smearing Charles Murray, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and Maajid Nawaz?

My my my. I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the posters who took up a defense of the SPLC's outrageously bigoted and unjustified "lists" in that thread.

@Arkain2K; when you see this tell me if you want to merge it to the main thread, so that you can index it. I figured you'd be happy to see this get a fresh OP even if only temporarily.

The splc lost a great deal of credibility over this.
I'm glad bull maher shed some light on this as well

Nawaz made me laugh by picking on these guys from "sweet home alabama". So they really only did this because they were afraid of being sued? They also removed the list without a word. Cowards.

Last edited:
The splc lost a great deal of credibility over this.
I'm glad bull maher shed some light on this as well

Lol, you should capitalize the letters in SPLC. Right now it reads as something else at first glance.

I agree though, this is the first time hearing about this story. It's pretty reckless to falsely label somebody as an extremist.

I'm not sure this can undo the damage or the additional mortal danger the SPLC put on them, but I'm glad to see they have finally done this. Hopefully they root out whoever is ideologically responsible for this within their organization, too. We need the SPLC to be on point, and to be the good guys.

I'm not sure this can undo the damage or the additional mortal danger the SPLC put on them, but I'm glad to see they have finally done this. Hopefully they root out whoever is ideologically responsible for this within their organization, too. We need the SPLC to be on point, and to be the good guys.

I was gonna mention that. This is different than other people on a hate list. If you are on a muslim hate list, your life could be in danger. KKK guys don't have to worry about that. Ali is still under protection I assume. They wanted her dead before this.

SPLC handled this in a cowardly way.

Yeah I think they crossed the line with that list.

That said he did send a list of his own, though a secret one, to the British government accusing countless other organizations and mosques and groups, including a unit of the Scotland Yard, of being Islamists. And that was partly why he was included in this list. But that's not necessarily being anti-Muslim I suppose, kind of seems like he and his org were just trying to sow doubt with all the other mainstream Muslim orgs to monopolize funding from the government since Quilliam depended solely on handouts.

Southern Poverty Law Center Scraps Its Anti-Muslim Hate List

The author of that article is sensible not to believe they were reacting to her article from last month (<-- you'll want to follow this link because she hyperlinked the wrong one in her article). This took quite a bit longer than that, and one of our own was on top of it:
Can the SPLC be trusted after smearing Charles Murray, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and Maajid Nawaz?

My my my. I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the posters who took up a defense of the SLPC's outrageously bigoted and unjustified "lists" in that thread.

@Arkain2K; when you see this tell me if you want to merge it to the main thread, so that you can index it. I figured you'd be happy to see this get a fresh OP even if only temporarily.

First round of beer and bacon is on me!!!

The best was how they used this tweet as evidence that he's some kind of dangerous, Islamophobic extremist:

Didn't realize that the SPLC was in the business of enforcing Islamic blasphemy laws, but I guess I'm not woke enough.

The SPLC is a shakedown operation that makes its money by smearing people at the behest of the Democrats. When was the last time it provided real legal services to defend authentic civil rights?

Hahaha, SPLC trying to claw back whatever shreds of credibility they have left.

Back