Can We Americana from Mount Effectively?

Invisible Jiu Jitsu

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Finishing the Americana in Mount is low percentage. Here's a few ways you can make it legit though! (includes nasty wristlock goodness)

Americana from mount is one of my favorite attacks. Of course, I don't actually finish the Americana. I simply punch his hand across his own throat, slide to technical mount, and then armbar the americana'd arm.

Triangles from mount are the shit if you don't get bumped pulling it

Which I do 99% of the time
But I've pulled it off like twice thus far
And I was a proud little camper
<DC-Champ>

I only go for Americanas from half guard top, and I manage to get them a decent percentage of the time. If nothing else, they're great to set up the same side knee cut pass into mount since it stops him from blocking your knee.

Triangles from mount are the shit if you don't get bumped pulling it

Which I do 99% of the time
But I've pulled it off like twice thus far
And I was a proud little camper
<DC-Champ>

Triangle from top need to be executed very fast and to let no time to react, it's way too easy to escape

My coach is very good with them and he showed us a lot of transitions to get into them without even securing the mount position (like going from side control to top triangle)

He also showed us a way of getting back to side control if we get bumped

Triangle from top need to be executed very fast and to let no time to react, it's way too easy to escape

My coach is very good with them and he showed us a lot of transitions to get into them without even securing the mount position (like going from side control to top triangle)

yeh, you gotta be able to slide and ride off the top but stay in side control :D

Americanas from mount are strange. I think they are treated a lot like footlocks in that people don't "believe" (i.e. tap) in them until it's on.

I like that wrist lock too. I developed it independently. This is to say that whenever I see someone legit do a tech that I developed on my own, I think there is no way the Gracies invented half the stuff they do. Your way over in the UK, I'm in the US; there's for sure some asshole in Zimbabwe reinventing the closed guard right now.

The revving detail is also the real black belt detail. Only one I've seen show it since now was my original instructor 6 years ago.

My actual question: how do you get people to practice this safely? I was showing a guy how to do this last week and he popped my shoulder.

He was using the same amount of strength with each rep despite his tech getting better each time, culminating in my shoulder pop.

Americanas from mount are strange. I think they are treated a lot like footlocks in that people don't "believe" (i.e. tap) in them until it's on.

I like that wrist lock too. I developed it independently. This is to say that whenever I see someone legit do a tech that I developed on my own, I think there is no way the Gracies invented half the stuff they do. Your way over in the UK, I'm in the US; there's for sure some asshole in Zimbabwe reinventing the closed guard right now.

The revving detail is also the real black belt detail. Only one I've seen show it since now was my original instructor 6 years ago.

My actual question: how do you get people to practice this safely? I was showing a guy how to do this last week and he popped my shoulder.

He was using the same amount of strength with each rep despite his tech getting better each time, culminating in my shoulder pop.

Yeh man. I think everyone independently discovers loads of stuff and then is surprised to see it already exists haha, there's only so many ways a body can move and be broken in an efficient way so itsi no wonder there are grappling similarities across multiple styles across the world.

Regards training safely, speed of the rep is the key, if people are banging stuff on fast then it's always going to be a problem!

Hey you probably have way more experience than me so would you mind answering a question about Mount in general I have an issue

I'm a light dude I'm easy to bump and sweep unless I'm riding the mount super high but I also get countered trying to work up into a higher mount any advice on keeping position more effectively

Idk if it sounds stupid but a lot of top positions for me are harder to maintain and fight back from because of my lack of physical dominance I'm light I'm lanky and I'm not incredibly strong at all probably below average the only sucesss I've found is in advanced technique that a white belt shouldn't even be focused on or speed and flexability t's not Orthodox but I've found some success id honestly rather have a 10p style lockdown than a full mount

Just any advice at all

Americana from mount is one of my favorite attacks. Of course, I don't actually finish the Americana. I simply punch his hand across his own throat, slide to technical mount, and then armbar the americana'd arm.

I think there is a lot of potential in this sort of attack, not just for the armbar transition in particular, but for applying pressure in general. As you say, it's like holding their arm in an americana, only instead of staying off to the side, you move it over so you cross their neck with your arm. Or like holding their arm in a giftwrap, only instead of your arm being behind his head, it is in front... cross their neck. And you can do it not just in mount, but in guard or half-guard as well. You could just hold it to make them miserable and drain their gas tank, or you could use it to pass tozi style as well (while making them miserable, at the same time).

In terms of form you could see it having isometry with a further underhook/crossface underhook that you would use in standing grappling (Petchpanomrung Kiatmookao is a big user of this in his clinch fighting), only on the ground instead.

Last edited:
If you're no-gi you can transist from an Americana to an Ezekiel very quickly.

From mount. Sometimes hard to finish but transition to side control and they will tap.

Don't think I've ever finished a pure Americana from mount, have done from side control.

Is there a reason you'd choose to go to side control instead of grape-vining his legs to get your legs out of the way?

Is there a reason you'd choose to go to side control instead of grape-vining his legs to get your legs out of the way?

you can try for sure, i just find though that if they're reasonably flexible then they can still move to relieve pressure there

Starting it in mount then shifting to side control gets me the most finishes. Strong guys like to attack from mount and let you roll them so they can finish from bottom guard and feel tough.

Hey you probably have way more experience than me so would you mind answering a question about Mount in general I have an issue

I'm a light dude I'm easy to bump and sweep unless I'm riding the mount super high but I also get countered trying to work up into a higher mount any advice on keeping position more effectively

Idk if it sounds stupid but a lot of top positions for me are harder to maintain and fight back from because of my lack of physical dominance I'm light I'm lanky and I'm not incredibly strong at all probably below average the only sucesss I've found is in advanced technique that a white belt shouldn't even be focused on or speed and flexability t's not Orthodox but I've found some success id honestly rather have a 10p style lockdown than a full mount

Just any advice at all
Clarke Gracie described anterior pelvic tilt to help keep your posture strong when you're in someone's closed guard, I've found using it helpful when I've mounted someone however I wouldn't expect to be able to hold mount forever.

Back