Can you still gain significant strength at 40?

Just do it and see what happens. Over thinking it all will just make it that much harder.

I powerlift, train muay thai and jiu jitsu. Jog 3x per week at night.

Eat well and rest. Stress is the big drain to do your best to not overthink something beyond your control.

Strength training + LISS, isn't that basicly what he promotes?

I haven't looked into the specifics of what he offers because I have a hard time taking him seriously with the personal claims he's made.

So the basic approach that the book templates are generated with are

1) Identify the components of the two sports you're trying to develop

2) Separate those into distinct qualities

3) Identify elements or training methods that overlap, and try to not use those. So for example, if someone was trying to be a good powerlifter and 5k runner, you wouldn't see hill sprints as an often-used approach, because it develops a quality that could instead be developed with your other sport. Similarly, you wouldn't see ultra-high-rep barbell movements (develop that muscular endurance with running)

4) Distribute stressors over the course of the week to allow for recovery, and recognize which systems can be trained while others are recovering. This produces a descending wave where the most intense workout is the first in the week, with a big drop in intensity after, a slight jump back up, and then descending back down over the weekend.

5) Since active recovery is at a premium in this model, frequently use low-impact cardio as the means of recovery

6) For any intense means, use the minimum effective dose. Strategic laziness is important because overtraining is much easier when you target multiple qualities.

there are people who just ran a marathon and never trained for it. it's just a couple hours of pain.
as long as you don't weigh 220+ and have some crippled joints, just do it.
or try a half marathon and go from there.

never ever would i accept to minimize lifting and lose strength just to run 42 km in one go.

^ Is a good way to get fucked up. I would definitely not just assume you've got favorable genetics for a multi-hour endurance event. If it's worth suffering for, it's worth preparing like you give a fuck.

Screw running bro just do curls in the squat rack

U wanna look like an ethiopeen endurance runner or a swole sprinter

da choice is urs

^
Exactly what my mind is going through right now lol

So you're not really talking about gaining strength after 40, you're talking about re-gaining strength after 40. I've always heard that re-gaining muscle is much easier than gaining it the first time.

Add the fact that we're talking about strength that you're only going to lose for like 6 months or so. It's not like you're going to train for the olympic marathon for years and then attempt to get your strength back.

^
Yes I do think regaining is easier than gaining from scratch. I do get to gain quickly if I took a month off in the gym, so hope it won't be that much of an effect for 6 months. I was just fearing I might be benching down to 135 lbs after 6 months.

there are people who just ran a marathon and never trained for it. it's just a couple hours of pain.
as long as you don't weigh 220+ and have some crippled joints, just do it.
or try a half marathon and go from there.

never ever would i accept to minimize lifting and lose strength just to run 42 km in one go.

^
Tried a half marathon once without training, and thought it was easy. That was why I also thought I could finish a marathon WITH training, but just concerned that my upper body strength might be affected by it.

Listen to the doctor on this one....

RUN THE FUCKING MARATHON! TRAIN SOLELY FOR IT.

When its over take 2 weeks to recover (eat a bunch of junk and jerk off 10x for all I care)

Then... re-align, re-calibrate, and TRAIN FOR WHATS NEXT!

I do powerlifting for strength (not going all out with nosebleeds) and train muay 2x per week so I can have good hands (i have a boxing background anyway). Jiu jitsu 3x per week (all gi).

I also run 3x per week. Approx 20-30 mins. A good jog where I'm tired but not dead at the end. This keeps me going well and balances my work/sport life.

Core/ab work I throw in whenever.

I firmly believe you need a plan. That plan isnt to overthink it. Supplements outside of steroids do fuck all. There is no golden workout plan. Everyone has a different body. Do what works for you.

I'm a better boxer (footwork) than I am a grapppler but boxing is a chore at this point. Do what you love. At the end of it all you need to look at your soul in the mirror and know if you are living the life you want.

6 months is nothing in the long run. Most people buy a gym membership and go like 10x a year. Once the motivation is gone so are they.

Run the marathon. Then come back and ask.

Jesus man if you are worried you will be benching only 135lbs after the marathon you have deeper psychological problems. Check your ego. You just ran a marathon.

Lol wtf. Is this sherdog mentality?

Jesus man if you are worried you will be benching only 135lbs after the marathon you have deeper psychological problems. Check your ego. You just ran a marathon.

Lol wtf. Is this sherdog mentality?
I am actually trying to put together a plan that lets me work my strength and my endurance cardio as well and I share many of the same fears. Not worried about going all the way down to 135lbs, but loosing 20-30% is a frightening thought. It would take months to get that back just to break even.

I personally want a well balanced body. I want good strength, strength endurance, and cardio endurance. Sure I wont be able to max everything but I want a balance of all three.

I am actually trying to put together a plan that lets me work my strength and my endurance cardio as well and I share many of the same fears. Not worried about going all the way down to 135lbs, but loosing 20-30% is a frightening thought. It would take months to get that back just to break even.

I personally want a well balanced body. I want good strength, strength endurance, and cardio endurance. Sure I wont be able to max everything but I want a balance of all three.

It will take months because you believe that 100% in your mind. So it will happen that way for you.

Good luck man. I wish you looked at things in compartments. [Train for race] [next project]

You sound like you have lost before you can even win. No hate. This my last comment on this thread. Its up to you. Myself, i train to win. Just to win.

So the basic approach that the book templates are generated with are

1) Identify the components of the two sports you're trying to develop

2) Separate those into distinct qualities

3) Identify elements or training methods that overlap, and try to not use those. So for example, if someone was trying to be a good powerlifter and 5k runner, you wouldn't see hill sprints as an often-used approach, because it develops a quality that could instead be developed with your other sport. Similarly, you wouldn't see ultra-high-rep barbell movements (develop that muscular endurance with running)

4) Distribute stressors over the course of the week to allow for recovery, and recognize which systems can be trained while others are recovering. This produces a descending wave where the most intense workout is the first in the week, with a big drop in intensity after, a slight jump back up, and then descending back down over the weekend.

5) Since active recovery is at a premium in this model, frequently use low-impact cardio as the means of recovery

6) For any intense means, use the minimum effective dose. Strategic laziness is important because overtraining is much easier when you target multiple qualities.
Thanks, so; Specificity, don't waste time/effort as your adaptions are already spread over more than one thing, distrubte stressors throughout the week and polarize training, use active recovery as an add on, keep intensity at lowest threshold needed to improve as to not overtrain. It makes sense. So it's more about managing the training volume and intensity of two different energy systems, than it is any "revolutionary" new exercises.

I'd imagine that block training would be a good idea too, as you said as well. When it comes to let's say two sports with very singular executions, like long distance running and powerlifting, the early adaptions might mean that you could get away with less blocked training before the point of diminishing returns. Is that the idea you think?

It will take months because you believe that 100% in your mind. So it will happen that way for you.

Good luck man. I wish you looked at things in compartments. [Train for race] [next project]

You sound like you have lost before you can even win. No hate. This my last comment on this thread. Its up to you. Myself, i train to win. Just to win.

What part of well balanced do you not understand? I am not training for a race or a lifting meet. I am training for me and me alone. I want to be stronger then I was before, and be able to run around and do fun athletic things with my family. I want well balanced. Surely medical science allows this.

Thanks, so; Specificity, don't waste time/effort as your adaptions are already spread over more than one thing, distrubte stressors throughout the week and polarize training, use active recovery as an add on, keep intensity at lowest threshold needed to improve as to not overtrain. It makes sense. So it's more about managing the training volume and intensity of two different energy systems, than it is any "revolutionary" new exercises.

I'd imagine that block training would be a good idea too, as you said as well. When it comes to let's say two sports with very singular executions, like long distance running and powerlifting, the early adaptions might mean that you could get away with less blocked training before the point of diminishing returns. Is that the idea you think?

http://main.poliquingroup.com/Artic...in_For_Strength_Endurance_At_The_Same_Ti.aspx

Here is an article I am rereading that talks about this. Block training seems to be the way to go. With one block being hypertrophy and moderate intensity, while the other block, is high intensity with a focus on maximal strength.

The basic gist I am getting through out the article is to train in short blocks and use heavy weight/lower reps while training for endurance.

http://main.poliquingroup.com/Artic...in_For_Strength_Endurance_At_The_Same_Ti.aspx

Here is an article I am rereading that talks about this. Block training seems to be the way to go. With one block being hypertrophy and moderate intensity, while the other block, is high intensity with a focus on maximal strength.

The basic gist I am getting through out the article is to train in short blocks and use heavy weight/lower reps while training for endurance.
Didn't really like that article that much. It was a bit all over the place, and the studies cited were a bit out of context or at least had some results that didn't really tell the whole story. It's a tough one so I understand.

I did find the last part about not doing eccentric focused strength and eccentric focused endurance on the same day, as to not impede recovery, interesting.

Thanks!

Didn't really like that article that much. It was a bit all over the place, and the studies cited were a bit out of context or at least had some results that didn't really tell the whole story. It's a tough one so I understand.

I did find the last part about not doing eccentric focused strength and eccentric focused endurance on the same day, as to not impede recovery, interesting.

Thanks!

So what would you suggest for my goals? Or is there some other articles that will be a better guide?

So what would you suggest for my goals? Or is there some other articles that will be a better guide?
I'm not sure I quite grasped the advice exactly in the article.

I mean, if your goal is just to keep your strength, or improve it, and at the same time build your aerobic capacity it shouldn't be a problem.

Getting more fit and keeping or improving strength is not that big of a deal, the opposing energy system part is blown way out of proportions. That is ofcourse within reason. Now, if you want to run a marathon at a "decent" pace AND compete in powerlifting meets at the same time and put up big numbers, then you will have a very serious/improbable challenge on your hands.

If it's just getting in better shape or running a 5K or something, it shouldn't detract from your strength really. Just do your strength training 2-4 times a week, keep it simply and perhaps alternate light, moderate and heavy intensity and then add 2-3 days of LISS for about 30-45 min and perhaps a day of HIT. Build the volume up gradually, keep the workouts to the point and don't overtrain.

You can always focus more on one or the other for a while if you want to train for something specificly strength or endurance related.

Anecdotally I've improved my VO2max and both cycling and running times in the last few months while hitting bench PRs, and I haven't been killing myself at all. I've seen this with other people as well.

That's just my take, but @selfcritical can probably lay it out a little better for you.

I believe so- also that for a lot people who are motivated to do two things, actually getting to do both the things throughout their entire training cycle might have some positive effects on adherence and motivation

I have been working out since a teenager. I am now 41 and working out smarter and noticing a difference in how i look and feel. I think you can improve after 40.

Back