Canelo Alvarez suspended six months for positive drug tests for clenbuterol

Could it also be consistent with a cheater who has made an error in his cycle?

Maybe; I'm far from an expert on clenbuterol and I don't know the ways in which a boxer would use it to full effect this far from a fight. I do have trouble believing that someone with Canelo's resources would risk eating tainted meat while he's being randomly tested, but at the same time I do think that Canelo should be treated like other athletes and according to WADA protocol. I'm pretty skeptical that Canelo is a clean fighter, but I certainly haven't seen enough to say that it's a clear-cut, black and white situation.

Brandon Moreno got no sanction for also testing positive for clenbuterol under nearly identical circumstances to Canelo. The 6 month ban is pure PR (and allows for a September rematch which is clearly still the plan for everyone involved).
Except apparently the IBF. Wonder if now that they've made a stink about it they'll grant a delay to make the Canelo fight in September?

That was a sideshow and not for any type of title.

That doesn't excuse the fact that it should have never been sanctioned if the commission was doing its stated job. Most people get that the stated intention of the commission isn't what the commission is most concerned with, and that the financial well-being of Nevada (and its wealthiest people) are the first concern of the NSAC, so it's not shocking that the fight was sanctioned.

Except apparently the IBF. Wonder if now that they've made a stink about it they'll grant a delay to make the Canelo fight in September?

The IBF is a pretty small consideration in all of this, but if I had to guess, they're just flexing to make it look like they're a legitimate and worthwhile organization. I'd be shocked if they actually strip Golovkin.

That doesn't excuse the fact that it should have never been sanctioned if the commission was doing its stated job. Most people get that the stated intention of the commission isn't what the commission is most concerned with, and that the financial well-being of Nevada (and its wealthiest people) are the first concern of the NSAC, so it's not shocking that the fight was sanctioned.
I don't agree with this, and I wasn't interested at all in the fight, but it was just a boxing match. Mayweather was a champ but had been retired. Conor is a fit combat sports competitor and wasn't in any real danger as say someone out of shape or with no combat experience.

The IBF is a pretty small consideration in all of this, but if I had to guess, they're just flexing to make it look like they're a legitimate and worthwhile organization. I'd be shocked if they actually strip Golovkin.
I hope they don't strip him but they'll look silly if they grant an exemption to allow the Canelo fight in September after this.

I hope they don't strip him but they'll look silly if they grant an exemption to allow the Canelo fight in September after this.

They're a sanctioning body; they've never really shown that they care a ton about looking silly in the past.

I don't agree with this, and I wasn't interested at all in the fight, but it was just a boxing match. Mayweather was a champ but had been retired. Conor is a fit combat sports competitor and wasn't in any real danger as say someone out of shape or with no combat experience.

It was never a fight which could have ever possibly been competitive and McGregor could have definitely gotten badly hurt had Byrd done a poorer job or Mayweather was more intent on destroying him. Commissions are supposed to prevent those types of fights.

It was never a fight which could have ever possibly been competitive and McGregor could have definitely gotten badly hurt had Byrd done a poorer job or Mayweather was more intent on destroying him. Commissions are supposed to prevent those types of fights.
Yeah in this case maybe more to protect the consumer. I don't think Conor was in any more danger than any other boxer but he just didn't have the experience to make it competitive.

The second test, three days later, showed levels at about 0.06-0.08 ng/ml, which some who know more than I do have said is consistent with what one would expect (after his test three days earlier showed around 0.6-0.8 ng/ml). Again, this is consistent with meat contamination. Any levels under 1 ng/ml are said to be consistent with meat contamination.

Thanks for the reply, but where are you getting those numbers for the second test???

They will fight in September there's to much money on the table to be made and Canelo will bleed clean this time in Big Bear mountains.

His suspension will be over in September. They will most likely count from his temporary suspension, which began at the end of March.

His suspension will be over in September. They will most likely count from his temporary suspension, which began at the end of March.
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If they can't fight in September then at least GGG can try to get his mandatories in order, or try to unify, before facing Canelo in May.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If they can't fight in September then at least GGG can try to get his mandatories in order, or try to unify, before facing Canelo in May.
I really think they will be pretty careful until that Canelo rematch. Too much on the line to take any risky fights.

I really think they will be pretty careful until that Canelo rematch. Too much on the line to take any risky fights.
Yeah, but I don't think he wants to lose any belts, so I hope for his IBF mandatory in September and BJS in January. I've been saying it for a while but I think his best leverage would be to have all the belts to limit Canelo's options.

Sure, it COULD be but we don't truly know that do we?
that's not how it works, though.

you fail a doping test, we get to assume you're a doper. it could be tainted meat, tainted supplements, the opposite camp sitcking you with a dirty needle, or an all powerful deity reaching down and elevating your clen levels. it could be any of that. it's probably not, though.

i might be in minority here but i like to assume everyone is clean until they piss hot. then i assume they're dirty, no matter how stupid their excuse.

that's not how it works, though.

you fail a doping test, we get to assume you're a doper. it could be tainted meat, tainted supplements, the opposite camp sitcking you with a dirty needle, or an all powerful deity reaching down and elevating your clen levels. it could be any of that. it's probably not, though.

i might be in minority here but i like to assume everyone is clean until they piss hot. then i assume they're dirty, no matter how stupid their excuse.
That has not traditionally been the case with clenbuterol.

Back