Social Cannabis Legalized in Canada: Nation-Wide Shortage For Years To Come As Demand Overwhelms Supply

Short answer- yes. Its fucked too. I can't get a bottle of Jamaican Run Cream in this entire god damned province!

And get this! They just started selling some beer at the grocery store, but they only sell it during the "booze shop's" housr. So, if you hit the gym to train some ufc first thing sunday morning and are at the grocery by 9am to get your week's food stuffs and put a pack of Guinesse in yoru cart and take it to the checkout, they are like "sorry bro, no dice. I cannot check that out for you until 11am".

What province are you in!?

I live in a province where alcohol is strictly controlled and sold by the government, but pot is in the free marketplace. smh

lol alcohol is sold by the goverment? That's weird as fuck. Do they have their own stores? Do they make it also or just by it from other companies?

Christ, I had no idea it was so strict.

Fuck bro, you can't even have a beer in the park with lunch without special permits. So you head out to a park for a nice day, hit up a really tasty food truck .... you can smoke a joint but not have a beer.

lol alcohol is sold by the goverment? That's weird as fuck. Do they have their own stores? Do they make it also or just by it from other companies?

Short anseer- yes.

They are govt owned and operated LCBO (liquior control board of ontario) stores. They decide what alcohol can be sold and at what price. Zero competition to drive selection or price, or even locations and hours of stores.

lol I don't want to create my own still (sp?), I want to go to the corner store to buy a 6 pack or hit up a specialty wine store foo a nice bottle of red, as opposed to going to govt controlled stores with shitty operating hours and mostly unhelpful staff.

Which province are you in that the govt stores are so bad?

Edit - Sorry, saw your reply with that info afterwards.

LCBO stores are pretty great from my experience. Hours aren't bad and price and selection are great compared to places I've been to in other provinces.

Plus you can buy wine and beer at grocery stores now too. And if you live in Toronto you have craft breweries every 6 blocks.

Beer is now avail everywhere in TO and it’s moving to wine as well I think

And of course Ontario is woefully unprepared, and dragging it's heels.

Can't even buy it in brick and mortar stores until April. Online only. Ridiculous.

Anyways, the fight between retail and the black market shall be fun.

Lcbo is only beneficial for lab testing standards - but liquor should be open up to private market for better pricing and service

It'll be interesting to see how full legalisation differs from decriminalisation.
We decriminalised weed here in the '80s, and since then they've been gradually recriminalising it (used to be allowed 10 plants with only a fine and no criminal record, now it's 1 plant and no hydro. They are even looking at changing the allowed amount down from 25 grams).
One of the biggest factors was no doubt the black economy and the fact that the laws differed so much from state to state.
Bikies would set up grow houses here to supply other states with harsher penalties and higher prices. This lead to more organised crime and a largely pipeline of criminal activity than would otherwise have been in the state (turf wars as well as pills and powders coming back from the other states).

It is a bubble about to pop. So many shady companies popping up and having their stock prices inflated. These are basically big pharma like companies that are gonna dominate this space.

Very cool. Hopefully the U.S. does likewise soon. But I'd settle for just Pennsylvania getting onboard. C'mon!

Which province are you in that the govt stores are so bad?

Edit - Sorry, saw your reply with that info afterwards.

LCBO stores are pretty great from my experience. Hours aren't bad and price and selection are great compared to places I've been to in other provinces.

Plus you can buy wine and beer at grocery stores now too. And if you live in Toronto you have craft breweries every 6 blocks.

Its not that they suck horribly. Its that there are major limitations due to be govt owned.

For example, you can only buy Ontario wine at grocery store, and beer is only served warm and only sold during LCBO hours.

lol what a pathetic article

Its not that they suck horribly. Its that there are major limitations due to be govt owned.

For example, you can only buy Ontario wine at grocery store, and beer is only served warm and only sold during LCBO hours.

My closest grocery store (so and so's "independent") has a ton of beer that rivals the LCBO and 80% is in the cooler.

I agree it sucks that you can only buy Ontario wines at the grocery store, but hopefully it will change soon.

The LCBO itself is pretty good price and hours wise, but I guess that depends on the city you live in.

Fuck bro, you can't even have a beer in the park with lunch without special permits. So you head out to a park for a nice day, hit up a really tasty food truck .... you can smoke a joint but not have a beer.
Alcohol is a bigger social problem than cannabis though.

My closest grocery store (so and so's "independent") has a ton of beer that rivals the LCBO and 80% is in the cooler.

I agree it sucks that you can only buy Ontario wines at the grocery store, but hopefully it will change soon.

The LCBO itself is pretty good price and hours wise, but I guess that depends on the city you live in.

My bad about no cold beer, but the 2 groceries near me offer no cold beer.

How do you know the price is good? There is no competition. I do know wine in Quebec is cheaper and pretty much all booze in the US is wwwaaayyyy cheaper.

The hours suck. You want to grab a 6 pack after the leaf's game or a late movie on the way home ... no dice.

A friend stops buy at 9pm on a sunday night to watch the pats spank the chiefs, no dice. No running out to the corner store.

Back