Social Cannabis Legalized in Canada: Nation-Wide Shortage For Years To Come As Demand Overwhelms Supply

My bad about no cold beer, but the 2 groceries near me offer no cold beer.

How do you know the price is good? There is no competition. I do know wine in Quebec is cheaper and pretty much all booze in the US is wwwaaayyyy cheaper.

The hours suck. You want to grab a 6 pack after the leaf's game or a late movie on the way home ... no dice.

A friend stops buy at 9pm on a sunday night to watch the pats spank the chiefs, no dice. No running out to the corner store.

Well I have compared prices in other provinces I've been to and I agree Quebec has been the cheapest, there are more expensive places like Saskatchewan. The sin taxes vary by Provinces obv.

I guess if you are looking for booze after 10:00 (or 6:00 Sunday) you are out of luck. I do agree it would be nice to have some all night places to pick up an emergency 6 pack or whatever.

Our new place came with a wine rack and a wine cooler so we keep ourselves pretty stocked up now. :)

Keeping Canada stoned is Trudeau’s smoke screen to his real agenda for Canada. News flash to Trudeau nobody is that stoned. Your ass is fucking gonzo next October weed or no weed..

Well I have compared prices in other provinces I've been to and I agree Quebec has been the cheapest, there are more expensive places like Saskatchewan. The sin taxes vary by Provinces obv.

I guess if you are looking for booze after 10:00 (or 6:00 Sunday) you are out of luck. I do agree it would be nice to have some all night places to pick up an emergency 6 pack or whatever.

Our new place came with a wine rack and a wine cooler so we keep ourselves pretty stocked up now. :)

Running the LCBO also adds around 20% to the price of booze in Ontario. I don't have a link, but this was talked about during last labour issues. Also, LCBO staff are top .5% of retail staff in terms of compensation in NA. That adds up.

The interesting think with wine is Australia WTO challenge. Experts suggest they will win, and all those Ontario only wine locations in our grocery stores will be allowed to carry non-Ontario wines. Not sure f the LCBO will shut them all down once that happens.

Good for you. Enjoy your weed.

He doesn't even live here.

There's one opening at the end of my street. I heard the prices are going to be outrageous. Like $300/ounce.

If that's the case, this will not achieve the stated goal of killing the black market where you can get top of the line bud for $140-160/ounce if you know the right person and $200/ounce if you're a dweeb.

If anything it ahould just make the black market more efficient since it will have to compete with the convenience of stores.

He doesn't even live here.

There's one opening at the end of my street. I heard the prices are going to be outrageous. Like $300/ounce.

If that's the case, this will not achieve the stated goal of killing the black market where you can get top of the line bud for $140-160/ounce if you know the right person and $200/ounce if you're a dweeb.

If anything it ahould just make the black market more efficient since it will have to compete with the convenience of stores.

Its gonna be a rough transition period, that's for damn sure. I wonder if the legalization will actually have some harsh consequences for the black market, with them getting targeted even more. Now they're fucking with the government's money.

I live in a province where alcohol is strictly controlled and sold by the government, but pot is in the free marketplace. smh

Wasn’t the LCBO trying to secure the exclusive right to sell cannabis? I take it that didn’t go through?

Which province are you in that the govt stores are so bad?

Edit - Sorry, saw your reply with that info afterwards.

LCBO stores are pretty great from my experience. Hours aren't bad and price and selection are great compared to places I've been to in other provinces.

Plus you can buy wine and beer at grocery stores now too. And if you live in Toronto you have craft breweries every 6 blocks.

LOL at the LCBO stores having great hours. I was in Toronto in 2011 and the fucking LCBO closed at 9pm. In Alberta our liquor stores close at 2am.

Wasn’t the LCBO trying to secure the exclusive right to sell cannabis? I take it that didn’t go through?

That was the previous liberal govts plan, but our new conservative govt scrapped that.

Hopefully our current govt will axe the LCBO!!!!

Running the LCBO also adds around 20% to the price of booze in Ontario. I don't have a link, but this was talked about during last labour issues. Also, LCBO staff are top .5% of retail staff in terms of compensation in NA. That adds up.

The interesting think with wine is Australia WTO challenge. Experts suggest they will win, and all those Ontario only wine locations in our grocery stores will be allowed to carry non-Ontario wines. Not sure f the LCBO will shut them all down once that happens.

I don't mind paying a dollar or two more for a bottle of wine if it means people have decent paying jobs with vacation and benefits.

The LCBO also makes about 2 billion a year. So, big profits, great jobs, great selection... I have no complaints!

That was the previous liberal govts plan, but our new conservative govt scrapped that.

Hopefully our current govt will axe the LCBO!!!!

Why would they axe a moneymaker like that? What possible good can come of it?

Maybe let people sell beer at gas stations or convenience stores that are open later... But definitely keep the LCBO.

Its gonna be a rough transition period, that's for damn sure. I wonder if the legalization will actually have some harsh consequences for the black market, with them getting targeted even more. Now they're fucking with the government's money.

It will be the same as with tobacco. The current black market will come under pressure, that's for sure, and it will move to reserves, where it will flourish like illicit tobacco has in Ontario. The cops will have their hands tied, since there will be absolutely zero political will to step into that hotbed.

LOL at the LCBO stores having great hours. I was in Toronto in 2011 and the fucking LCBO closed at 9pm. In Alberta our liquor stores close at 2am.

Maybe a few lcbos should be open later?

2am seems pretty excessive though.

AB has the only consumer centric approach to the sale of alcohol in all of Canada.

I don't mind paying a dollar or two more for a bottle of wine if it means people have decent paying jobs with vacation and benefits.

The LCBO also makes about 2 billion a year. So, big profits, great jobs, great selection... I have no complaints!

I do not beleive in overpaying anyone at any job. Its bad for the economy.

That second argument is BS, no offense. A govt can fiddle with sintax to ensure it gets that same revenue with or without the LCBO.

Why would they axe a moneymaker like that? What possible good can come of it?

Maybe let people sell beer at gas stations or convenience stores that are open later... But definitely keep the LCBO.

I gave short anser to this in response to your other post. Plsu, its just an belief that govt should not be in the business of selling alcohol. Govt does not sell cigarettes, cars, and so on.

Winners: The cool cats.
Losers: Squares, fogeys, and the chronically unhip.

I do not beleive in overpaying anyone at any job. Its bad for the economy.

That second argument is BS, no offense. A govt can fiddle with sintax to ensure it gets that same revenue with or without the LCBO.

The workers being overpaid is just your opinion. The company makes tons of money, people are laid a fair wage and have benefits. Everybody wins. Why would we change that????

Trying to make everything part time work with no benefits does not help Canadians, it only helps Corporations. They are already making money hand over fist... They don't need any more.

The workers being overpaid is just your opinion. The company makes tons of money, people are laid a fair wage and have benefits. Everybody wins. Why would we change that????

Trying to make everything part time work with no benefits does not help Canadians, it only helps Corporations. They are already making money hand over fist... They don't need any more.

I take your point re; overpaid.

So I'll word it this was: the LCBO workers are over compensated when compared to the current private sector market place in Ontario.

It will be interesting for sure to see how it all unfolds.

Here in Nunavut, no stores (private or government owned) places can sell, people here will have to use the Federal governments website to order until the territorial government figures out how they want to do this.

Don't forget home delivery if you're too smashed to drive or just lazy. I would like it if we could buy booze in supermarkets like in the states though.

Back