Capacity Crowd 15K Saturday Validates Spence as an American Draw?

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Spence proved by selling out a 15,000-seat venue against an anonymous opponent that one of the best boxers in the sport also is one of its biggest draws in the United States.

Tickets to the Spence-Ocampo card were priced reasonably, but due to the demand ringside tickets were going for as much as $700 apiece Thursday night on SeatGeek.com, the official ticket-seller of the Cowboys.

https://www.boxingscene.com/capacity-crowd-saturday-validates-spence-rare-american-draw--129127

Last edited:
https://www.boxingscene.com/ocampo-i-nothing-lose-im-taking-errol-spences-title--129116

The card at The Star, headquarters of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys, features a battle of unbeaten fighters, hometown hero Spence, the International Boxing Federation champion at 23-0 with 20 knockouts, and Carlos Ocampo, 22-0 with 13 knockouts.

"I have nothing to lose. He has all the pressure of being in his hometown. I'm just relaxed and ready to fight," Ocampo said.

Not going to pencil that in as a star sellout but I do think Spence has all the makings of a super star.

I expect very big things.

He will get more and more popular if he keeps winning the way he has. If he does fight the winner of Garcia/Porter it will be a very big fight.

He will be a big name within the boxing community, sure. But he doesn't have the personality to be a cross over star. Moreover, in this day, you need to have a more active presence on social media.

Have him sell out a venue, not in his hometown, before you jump the gun.

He will be a big name within the boxing community, sure. But he doesn't have the personality to be a cross over star. Moreover, in this day, you need to have a more active presence on social media.

Have him sell out a venue, not in his hometown, before you jump the gun.
I think he can become a star but he needs to fight more often and not take on easy opponents like Ocampo.

I think he can become a star but he needs to fight more often and not take on easy opponents like Ocampo.
mandatory opponent. Unless you'd rather him give up his title to fight washed up guys with names while giving the other guys with titles no reason to face him

mandatory opponent. Unless you'd rather him give up his title to fight washed up guys with names while giving the other guys with titles no reason to face him
Nowhere in my post did I suggest he dump his belt. But let’s look at his activity. He won the title impressively in May of 2017. After winning he took eight months off before fighting Lamont Peterson. Eight months! That’s an eternity for a fighter. And Lamont was no competition for him. He could have taken that fight within 10 weeks.

Between the easy victory over Peterson and the fight with Ocampo, which will be a cakewalk, let’s be honest, five months have passed. To me that’s ridiculous for a guy with his star potential. There’s no reason, barring injury of course, he can’t be fighting guys like this every two months. Jesus, I remember James Toney was defending within about 6 weeks of beating Michael Nunn. And then He just kept on defending. The guy fought everyone from the so-so to the great. We forgave him the so-so defences because he fought so often. We sure came to know his name.

Fair enough but Brook is on of my favourite fighters and I’d love to see him avenge that defeat.

I still think he is fairly under rated. I know I used to until the 2nd Carlton smith fight. I think he’ll pick up a lmw title as well. He’ll smash khan

Nowhere in my post did I suggest he dump his belt. But let’s look at his activity. He won the title impressively in May of 2017. After winning he took eight months off before fighting Lamont Peterson. Eight months! That’s an eternity for a fighter. And Lamont was no competition for him. He could have taken that fight within 10 weeks.

Between the easy victory over Peterson and the fight with Ocampo, which will be a cakewalk, let’s be honest, five months have passed. To me that’s ridiculous for a guy with his star potential. There’s no reason, barring injury of course, he can’t be fighting guys like this every two months. Jesus, I remember James Toney was defending within about 6 weeks of beating Michael Nunn. And then He just kept on defending. The guy fought everyone from the so-so to the great. We forgave him the so-so defences because he fought so often. We sure came to know his name.

8 months isn't an eternity for a fighter. Hell for a while that was Mayweather's only schedule to fight in May and September and it's 8 months between September and May the next year. 5 months is about right for title holder.

Maybe Toney had to fight so often after the Nunn fight because it only did 19,000 ppv buys.

Really? There are 15k going? Good sign forsure. Is it his hometown?

8 months isn't an eternity for a fighter. Hell for a while that was Mayweather's only schedule to fight in May and September and it's 8 months between September and May the next year. 5 months is about right for title holder.

Maybe Toney had to fight so often after the Nunn fight because it only did 19,000 ppv buys.
James Toney was pretty popular if I remember correctly, largely because he was fought so often, and because he fought a lot of good fighters.

Floyd was active too after beating Genaro Hernandez. No 8 month layoffs there.

I think a champion should be defending at least every 4 months, but preferably every three, especially if he’s fighting guys he can beat with ease. Once you’re on that Miney Mayweather level, when you’ve got a great resume and you’re making $30 million a fight, you can ease up.

I have no idea what ppv you’re talking about. Toney fought often on HBO and I’m sure he was paid well to do it.

Eight months is a long time for a fighter in his prime; you should want to make the most of those peak years.

It did sell out quickly. I bought tickets the moment they went on sale and the entire floor along with the 100 section sold out in like 10 minutes.

Him selling out the ford center (practice arena for the dallas cowboys) is a good sign but you also have to realize DFW is the 4th biggest metroplex in the entire USA + it is his hometown.

This selling well was pretty much a given and isn't necessarily a direct correlation with his overall appeal/draw

Back