Capcom learns nothing - DMC 5 - pay to win

Wariowokecancel

You can cancel but you can’t wake
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/devil-may-cry-5-lets-you-spend-real-money-to-upgra/1100-6461972/

I defended and will defend Shadows of War which got massive hate and heat for micro transactions.

You could spend real money to buy ork followers or weapon junk. You could not boost levels or upgrade your characters. Also there was an option to buy a character based on a dead developer - who might save your ass - with proceedings from that going to his family. I’m not going to repeat why the heat about that was utterly stupid and ended with the family getting screwed by ‘fans’ with the option removed’. I never spent a dime and 100% the game. Never felt any pressure. It worked perfectly. You got orcs and weapons more quickly than a underage transvestite hooker gets propositions at a political convention.

Capcom has gone full retard here.

When SoW was the subject of incredible hate and Battlefield basically died because of its BS, how can any developer be so obtuse?

The real issue will be if they up the grind in order to make paying for upgrades more appealing. On it's own it's just a shitty gay "feature" that can be ignored.

We will see. But even mentioning it is going to be death from every influencer.

How can a company be so stupid after the last couple of years of massive push-back.

In SoW it meant nothing but the game suffered massively in social media. That translated to sales. There are dudes on here who still want nothing to do with it AFTER all transactions were removed.

Nothing new from Capcom here. They’ve been nickel and diming SFV players from launch. You can get about all S1 and around half of S2, but they constantly change the rules on how to win fight money. There’s also several items than can only be purchased with real cash.

*Sigh*

Fans of DMC - Chill, and accept you have two choices here.

ONE - You can play into Capcom's manipulations and buy the game immediately after launch for full price and buy the microtransactions so they can rape your wallet for every dollar you're foolish enough to give them.

TWO - Realise that if you want to play the game without the microtransactions, just accept you're going to have to wait longer. Case in point - Mortal Kombat X and Shadows of War - around a year after they released a 'complete' edition came out with all the DLC and other bullshit removed.

So, the choice is yours.

We as fans need to boycott this type of disrespect from developers. I'm in, but I'm not sure the general buying public is.

I don't preorder games anymore anyway, so whatever. I'm not gonna care at all unless the grind is worse than it has been in previous installments. Either way I'm waiting on reviews.

I dont preorder gamed any more and never buy microtransactions. Loot boxes are the real problem and EA is getting reamed by Belgium right now.

Its corporate greed. But hey at least they are giving us "player choice."

Since it's single player I don't care that much, it looks more or less the same they did with the Special Edition of 4.

I'll wait for the game of the year edition as always.

Don't really see the issue here. You can pay to fully upgrade you character or just play the game like normal. Don't see why giving people more options is a bad thing in a single player game especially.

Last edited:
I havent played the DMC games but Ive been told they had a similar thing for DMC4, and that wasnt much of an issue there as the orbs were plentiful anyways.

And I never bought all the moves in any of the 4 first games. Like all the games, find a build and playstyle that suits you and evolve from it.

I remember people loving Agni and Rudra drom 3, and I never usem them.

Don't really see the issue here. You can pay to fully upgrade you character or just play the game like normal. Don't see why giving people more options is a bad thing in a single player game especially.

{<huh}

Paying fees to progress in a game equals more options? What kind of bizarre world do I live in where gamers are using that kind of twisted logic? Do you work for Capcom?

If you paying to unlock moves that get unlocked during the normal course of gameplay then obviously the gameplay is grindy as a result.

And can't believe people are bringing up "oh it's single player" as a good thing. That's the one place that was free of microtransactions before now.

If you paying to unlock moves that get unlocked during the normal course of gameplay then obviously the gameplay is grindy as a result.

Has this been confirmed or are you just making the assumption this is the case? You've always had to gather orbs and level up in DMC games to unlock moves. Unless they've changed it so that it now takes much longer to do that I don't care if someone wants to pay to unlock them all. If it's the same process of gathering orbs and unlocking moves that have been in all the DMC games then I'm fine with that. Part of the game was gathering orbs to unlock moves so I would never want to pay for it to begin with but some might.

{<huh}

Paying fees to progress in a game equals more options? What kind of bizarre world do I live in where gamers are using that kind of twisted logic? Do you work for Capcom?

And can't believe people are bringing up "oh it's single player" as a good thing. That's the one place that was free of microtransactions before now.
I have zero issue with it in single player games, what someone else does in a single player game has no effect on me.

Now if you couldn’t finish the game without buying shit that’s a problem.

But otherwise no.

Where it becomes a real issue is when a multiplayer game has buy options and people just buy level up amen weapons etc that make into impossible to play if you are late to the party, or don’t drop coin right off the bat.

Nobody said it is a good thing, just that it doesn't matter. Anybody is free to ruin their own game as long as it doesn't affect others. If you can finish the game without paying that's OK, that's the definition of P2W, otherwise it is an option.

Unlockable features in games used to be realistic to obtain, now you are forced to either grind the fuck out of the game for hours on end doing difficult tasks to make little game currency, or you cave and shell out real money so you can get the full experience of the game, after had already paid full price.

SFV gives you HALF of the stages available after buying a full retail copy, even with all of the expansion packs that you also pay for. It's bullshit. Capcom is the worst at this when it comes to fighting games. Street Fighter X Tekken came with HALF of the roster blocked out as DLC while being on the disc the day of release.

I do like the fact that games are up-gradable over time and I don't mind buying season passes provided the content matches the price, but all this built in DLC shit is bullshit. Soulcalibur V announced a DLC before the game was even released and before the full roster was even revealed. Just charge me more for the game upfront for a full game rather than pull this shady shit.

Last edited:
its crazy how DMC fans are jumping on everyone who dares criticize this. its a full price singleplayer game and they are selling you cheat codes. what a sad state of the industry where players defend this.

the "more options" argument is the dumbest of all, they could do an easy mode or cheatcodes or whatever without having people pay for it.

Jesus. I only played consoles until 2013 when I got a gaming pc. For this entire 5 year period, my interest in games keeps waning. I loved rpgs, which have been dumbed down across the board. I loved open worlds, which are now nothing but open grind sandboxes. I loved single player games, which now have micro transactions, and are most always poorly optimized and buggy as all hell.

Fucking hell. I want to care, but it's become so bad, I bought Witcher 3 on day one, and have yet to beat it. I beat Xcom EU in like a 4 day marathon, and havent put in 10 hours in Xcom 2. I played Fallout 3 and NV for months each, and couldn't bring myself to finish FO4, even with mods.

Gall.

its crazy how DMC fans are jumping on everyone who dares criticize this. its a full price singleplayer game and they are selling you cheat codes. what a sad state of the industry where players defend this.

the "more options" argument is the dumbest of all, they could do an easy mode or cheatcodes or whatever without having people pay for it.
I don't care that people are bothered by it. If you don't like the trend I get it, but assuming that it doesn't change my single-player experience, why should it be a personal concern? Unless the grind is worse, there will be literally no change at all to how I play it versus the older games. I replayed levels in both 1, 3, and 4 to unlock abilities. Unless I have to replay them a whole lot more in this new game, it's business as usual.

Back