Captain Hillstrand Retires After 37 years On The Bering Sea

I still watch every week it's on. Wife and I love it.

Was cool to see the old captains start getting soft at their older ages, definitely not as much drama as their use to be, which i like.

Sig, Edgar, and all the Hillstrands is why I still watch. Keith is an old miserable dick and Wild Bill is a psycho .

As for new captains, specifically Jake, he is an absolute idiot with zero people skills. Kid worked hard to get where he is at, but damn he sucks at managing people.

Shawn seems pretty cool and down to earth.

Glad that rat faced druggy isn't on the show anymore. Forget his name and don't even want to google it so see his dumb face. Elliot or something? Jake took over for him.

Edit: Losing Phil really hurt the show. I loved that guy. Too bad Josh didn't have the capacity to learn and Jake was just an absolute piece of shit.

https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/deadliest-catch/videos/captains-stories-is-johnathan-retiring

Johnathan Hillstrand was one of the coolest guys on the Bering Sea.
Him and Sig are reason I still watch. Also cool to see Jake Anderson
be a captain. Never liked Keith Coburn or his Mexican deckhand.
I bet Sig and John are doing good financially.
Do you still watch Deadliest Catch ?

Johnathan was the man. That guy was so cool, but I think when he got into his motorcycle accident it changed something in him. I even thought he was such a cool cat that I may have named one of my relatives after him. Sad to see him go, but dont really watch too much any more after they stopped doing the deadliest catch fantasy game.

Still watch it from time to time.

Miss the captain Phil days. Always liked the Hillstrandts and the Hansens.

Never liked Keith. Dude is a total cunt. It was awesome when Jonathan had words with him when Keith was trying to poach his crew.

Haven't really kept up with jake as a captain now but he has to be the most irritating person in the show. Always bitching and moaning about how he deserves to be a captain. I wonder what he's complaining about now.

The other guy who was frustrating to watch was that guy Elliot. I think he was the captain on the Saga before jake took over.

Was it Jon or his brother that almost punched Keith out once and basically threatened him saying "if you come near me or my crew again I'll kill you"?

How many ships did he plunder?

Last edited:
Was it Jon or his brother that almost punched Keith out once and basically threatened him saying "if you come near me or my crew again I'll kill you"?

that was him

ive been watching the last couple of years. never saw the first few seasons.

even though its pretty much the same shit every season, its an environment ill never work in, so its interesting to watch after workouts when i need to relax and settle down to sleep.

oh and you see all the lame ass commercials they're in?

between that and the show, they're all doing well financially. dont let the tv show sob stories fool you.

Phil Harris had two sons. It seemed like one was into drugs,
and the other one tried to continue like his father.
They don't show him anymore so maybe he quit.

Phil Harris had two sons. It seemed like one was into drugs,
and the other one tried to continue like his father.
They don't show him anymore so maybe he quit.
The season I saw where the older son josh was running the boat with a guy he hired to be the captain, he had issues handling the crew. One episode he power tripped and bitched out the crew and two of them walked off the job before setting sail. You could see felt dumb after that because he tried to get one of them to stay. I think they were fairly seasoned deckhands.

A "Mexican Deckhand" sounds like something sexual lol. {<redford}

I wouldn't go out on one of those boats for all the AIDS in Africa.

I watched a few seasons and really enjoyed it, but then it just seemed to be the same thing over and over. Bill and Keith could never figure out why they go through a million deck hands. They'd get a bunch of greehorns on their boats, and then instead of training them would just bawl them out constantly, swearing at them up and down and calling everyone an idiot. Bill's son seems a bit more level headed and actually said, "you know, i can't just expect these guys to magically know what's going on, i have to train them first." Bill and Keith just never seemed to get that, and their first mates didn't either. Just got bored of hearing dumb guys try to establish some false sense of superiority over other guys by calling them dumb. I know it's a dangerous work environment, but at least give the crew a chance. Too much drama and bitching for me.

Back