Carlos Condit "I got mouths to feed, bills to pay and no backup plan"

Well most people can't retire at 33. Hell most UFC fighters cant.

Conor will easy
GSP could
JJ can now
Anderson
RR
... so maybe a handful could. entertainment (singing, boxing etc) is a win big lose big career unless you're in a union or something like NBA. Everyone knows this.

How much money do you think Miesha Tate earned?

Because she was champ for a short period and was a part of some high profile fights during pre-Reebook deal era and so on, and she retired.

Other fighters are big stars in their countries and has earned much money through the years by sponsorships.
I think you heared about the Gus retiring rumours 1 year ago or something? You know why? because he has been a major sports star in his native country Sweden where has more than 4 lucrative sponsorships that he probably has made much money on. He is like the second or third biggest Sports star in the whole country.

Maybe you've hared about the Khabib retiring rumours too? Same thing there,he is very big Russia and former Soviet republics, made plenty of money through sponors.

I think Vitor Belfort could retire pretty comfortably too.

I like condit, but he should have known this. mma is not like other sports. Probably around 3% tops of fighters will be set after their fighting career is over. But i am thinking around 1%.

He could sell his beard. It's worth millions.

How much money do you think Miesha Tate earned?

Because she was champ for a short period and was a part of some high profile fights during pre-Reebook deal era and so on, and she retired.

Other fighters are big stars in their countries and has earned much money through the years by sponsorships.
I think you heared about the Gus retiring rumours 1 year ago or something? You know why? because he has been a major sports star in his native country Sweden where has more than 4 lucrative sponsorships that he probably has made much money on. He is like the second or third biggest Sports star in the whole country.

Maybe you've hared about the Khabib retiring rumours too? Same thing there,he is very big Russia and former Soviet republics, made plenty of money through sponors.

I think Vitor Belfort could retire pretty comfortably too.

No way that someone like Khabib can retire. He's 29 and has another 36 years before he can retire.

it's a big mistake coming back for this reason.

No way that someone like Khabib can retire. He's 29 and has another 36 years before he can retire.
he has net worth of several millions according to his manager, so don't come here and bull shit us

He could buy and sell you over and over

He can afford to eat a terra misu after or before his dinner you can maybe afford to eat pear or apple after your dinner

I think Gus's star power is overrated, not sure he can keep getting lucrative ad deals for that many years in the future if he left the sport now.

Hard to estimate how famous he really is. Sure, 20-30 year old dudes know him.
But if you ask a kid in school, a girl, an older person - chances are they have no clue who he is, even from a photo of him in the octagon.

Seems like it wasn't before his last fight or two that his fights even started becoming reported in general media.
He might be one of the most popular *active* sports stars in Sweden, but we might just be a bit short on active stars now. For example there are a whole bunch of retired skiers who are way more famous than Gus.

Last edited:
he has net worth of several millions according to his manager, so don't come here and bull shit us

He could buy and sell you over and over

He can afford to eat a terra misu after or before his dinner you can maybe afford to eat pear or apple after your dinner

I call BS. He made 48K against Horcher 2 fights ago.

Best decision when you're broke is to let some punch you in the head while thousands watch for entertainment to make a few bucks. Scratch & win Carlos. Why not go back to school or something?

Maybe he could get help from his father who is a politician.... For some reason the UFC highlighted this on some pre fight show once or twice.
Or maybe the coffee business will take off. Or did he stop it with the coffee now?

After watching ESPN's 30 for 30: Broke, I no longer wonder how people with millions and millions of dollars can legitimately have zero money after decades of earning millions of dollars a year. That applies to the cream of the crop NFL so called A level athletes. MMA guys that make far less than that are in a far more precarious position.

To your point however, property investment should be a path for everyone who is looking to invest. iirc the only fighter I know of that does this on a mass scale is Mousasi, who invests most of his earnings into property. Living like a pauper while people are paying your loans back for you should be something more fighters look into. It's sure as shit what I would do if I had the money to buy property.
Schaubs Boxing trainer explained how every 2 fights earned enough money to buy a home. He only had 9 fights and was never a star, but he owns like 4 homes, and had enough money to take a risk with a business venture in the USA. He's now a millionaire business owner. Tony Jeffries, look him up.

Obviously there no one size fits all formula but it seems that no one is even thinking about making investments, apart from a few business savvy fighters.

No it wouldn't... I swear some of you act like 2008 never happened
It's an example. There's plenty of other things you could invest in. And in case you didn't realize it, its 2017 now. It's safe to buy a house.

This intrigued me a bit, because no one lives in Sweden. It's a country of 9 million people. By contrast, America is roughly 330 million. Sweden is fairly equivalent to the population of New York City.

I can't imagine someone retiring on sponsor money from being regionally famous in one city, so its hard for me to comprehend. I see Gus promoting sponsors on Facebook, but they seem like small companies.

What type of money do you imagine he's getting from Swedish sponsors?

Hopefully he can use that hunger for motivation but mma is not the best venue for that. If he hasn’t made bank already, while being a great and established fighter for a long time, I sure hope he has other things going for him on the side.

This intrigued me a bit, because no one lives in Sweden. It's a country of 9 million people. By contrast, America is roughly 330 million. Sweden is fairly equivalent to the population of New York City.

I can't imagine someone retiring on sponsor money from being regionally famous in one city, so its hard for me to comprehend. I see Gus promoting sponsors on Facebook, but they seem like small companies.

1. What type of money do you imagine he's getting from Swedish sponsors?

1. about 5-600 000 dollars a year if you add them all up.

2. What about taking a paus from the internet (especially places like Sherdog and Twitter because they will rewire your brain to place where you don't wanna be, there is no respect for contemplation or reflection there) maybe instead visit the library/bookstore read about history, Sociology and cultural geography?

Because you can't compare an american region (especially a Cosmopolitan region like NY) with a very old country in Europe when it comes to the fans and peoples loyalty/identification to/with their sport stars. Especially if you are the single one in the whole country, no one compares to gus in sweden when it comes to combat sports and level of fame, Badou Jack has a long way to reach Gus level, despite having better sport achievements than Gus. You would not have made the same comparsion with Conor and small Ireland.

Last edited:
It's an example. There's plenty of other things you could invest in. And in case you didn't realize it, its 2017 now. It's safe to buy a house.
Lol tell me how that works out for you. Go invest in some bitcoin while your at it, champ

Dude a combat sport than only pays a few thousand a fight is your only plan??
Really? ??
I didnt think Condit a fool.
Good thing UPS is always hiring

I think after being robbed a fight he won and missing out on being champion he just hasn't been the same

around 2:30 or so

Yeah, pollute the octagon with infectious microbes and expose all the competitors and staff to MRSA.

Basic hygiene, assholes, learn it.

Back