Castlvania Symphony of the Night

...what?

honestly, the only complaint i really have with sotn is that it was too easy. or rather, it scaled weirdly and one was likely to be too OP at/around the time the castle was inverted. even moreso, if one spent time farming for something.

i wish they had the monster stats scale with your level. difficulty only seemed about right if one was moving steadily through and not gaining extra xp from farming for an item or just being stuck (ie: needed the spikebreaker armor, but don't know that it even exists and wander around until you eventually find it)

but that's kind of nit-picky, especially for its time.

Last edited:
Even better question: Why in the holy hell haven't we gotten a 3D Castlevania game of this style yet? (And I'm not talking a 2.5D platformer. I'm talking a third-person Metroidvania game.)

I know they made a few 3d ones, but i never played them. Didn't get very good reviews.

The Dark souls series is basically 3d metroidvania though

SOTN was a great game but I think Aria of Sorrow was better all around. That inverted castle is a clever way of saving memory, but holy shit was it annoying as hell. I got "stun-locked" to death so many times I only got through about 30% or so and had enough.

You might want to give it another go at some point. I've played through the game several times and never got stun locked, it might just be bad luck on your part. Aria of Sorrow was really good too.

You might want to give it another go at some point. I've played through the game several times and never got stun locked, it might just be bad luck on your part. Aria of Sorrow was really good too.

I might give it a go again in the future as I really did have a great time with the normal game, but once the castle inverted I kept getting stun-locked everywhere. That whole first couple areas and then into the clockworks section it was a constant frustration with getting knocked back into something else and not being able to move. Enemies come from the top and the bottom but there's no way to hit them... wish I had some of those swiping swords from Aria of Sorrow.

I also never really got the hang of using magic and maybe that's what contributed to me having such a difficult time. I also think I only ever used the "fairy" companion and maybe something else would have been better.

Potential GOAT tier game so why mess with a good thing? It aged incredibly well for a PS era game. I still play it occasionally on my ONE thanks to BC compatibility.

"What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets!"

I might give it a go again in the future as I really did have a great time with the normal game, but once the castle inverted I kept getting stun-locked everywhere. That whole first couple areas and then into the clockworks section it was a constant frustration with getting knocked back into something else and not being able to move. Enemies come from the top and the bottom but there's no way to hit them... wish I had some of those swiping swords from Aria of Sorrow.

I also never really got the hang of using magic and maybe that's what contributed to me having such a difficult time. I also think I only ever used the "fairy" companion and maybe something else would have been better.

Ah I see. You do get abilities later on in the game that make sections like that super easy to traverse. The mist form or the super jump you get from the gravity boots make sections like that cake. If you get all the powerups you're pretty much an unstoppable killing machine by the end of the game. It actually makes it pretty satisfying to go back and massacre enemies and stages that gave you troubles earlier lol

some spells were pretty useful... or rather OP (dark metamorphasis or whatever, the massive kill the screen and also steal their life spell). some relics made it easier to travel, but if your issue was enemy angle... well, there were tons of weapons. many attacked with downward/upward angles. not to mention the 'special moves,' that many weapons had (ie: shield rod) and usable items.

some spells were pretty useful... or rather OP (dark metamorphasis or whatever, the massive kill the screen and also steal their life spell). some relics made it easier to travel, but if your issue was enemy angle... well, there were tons of weapons. many attacked with downward/upward angles. not to mention the 'special moves,' that many weapons had (ie: shield rod) and usable items.

Hmm... I only recall the weapons in SOTN being straight... don't remember any of them arcing like with Aria of Sorrow. OK, I'll check it out again sometime.

Potential GOAT tier game so why mess with a good thing? It aged incredibly well for a PS era game. I still play it occasionally on my ONE thanks to BC compatibility.
Better graphics, framerate, and a higher difficulty would be great imo.
And ditch the crissigrim. It breaks the game even more.

Better graphics, framerate, and a higher difficulty would be great imo.
And ditch the crissigrim. It breaks the game even more.

i mean... yeah. but the alucard shield and muramasa were even worse.

Literally no need. The sprites and graphics are awesome, the gameplay is great, the soundtrack is great. Everything holds up and would likely only get worse with any kinds of updates.

if they ever do remake it I would hope they fix the part after you die so you don’t have to wait 5 minutes to reload the damn game

Hmm... I only recall the weapons in SOTN being straight... don't remember any of them arcing like with Aria of Sorrow. OK, I'll check it out again sometime.

The Battle Axe and Bible arch/circle. The grand Cross item crash spins around and upward.

Use the Gas Cloud form to just rip right through the inverted clock tower.

Back