catch kick counter

SWEEP THE LEG!

With that out of the way, I can't say I've seen that particular caught kick counter before, at least, not that I can remember. Can you explain your thoughts behind how it works and why you'd use this counter instead of say, a sweep or dragging the opponent's leg around to land free punches (see Cerrone vs. Masvidal). I'm interested to hear your thoughts behind the technique.

SWEEP THE LEG!

With that out of the way, I can't say I've seen that particular caught kick counter before, at least, not that I can remember. Can you explain your thoughts behind how it works and why you'd use this counter instead of say, a sweep or dragging the opponent's leg around to land free punches (see Cerrone vs. Masvidal). I'm interested to hear your thoughts behind the technique.
I'm not shin, but from my side of seeing it, sweeps doesn't really do damage unless its really great, it does look awesome though. Pushing the opponent off, he's gonna be off balanced, and the body kick that follows is going to be vicious. And you can move off the line too to dig even nastier, if they really got hurt with the knee, they won't see the kick coming.

Dragging the opponent still has a risk of them throwing things. As sad as it is, I saw a guy got dazed by getting hit with arm punches after he caught his opponent's kick.

Personally I've never done this one before but I like it, simple and basic, doesn't really take much energy to do either. Normally after catching I like to throw a cross -> step+knee -> sweep, but I find that takes a bit of energy to do.

SWEEP THE LEG!

I would agree with everything J123 said and ill add my 2 cents.

theres several counters for every move, this is just one of many for a caught kick. The knee is the largest knuckle with the largest muscle, therefore the strongest weapon....plus my style is more muay khao...anyways......The idea behind it is to knee the guy in the face (full rules, body for other) or knee him in the face on his way down, much like a kick to the head on the way down...here in the states you can only take 2 steps with a caught anything, but in thailand, you can easily run with the guy and off balance them. The things you have mentioned are effective as well, and I have done those same techniques in fights as well. The right move at the wrong time is the wrong move lol.....i cant think off the top of my head but I have seen this done in thai fights before Im sure if we watch enough fights well see it again. I made that video a long time ago but check out damian trainor explaining something very similar in this clip. The sweep is there but i rather knee the guy in the face. its a potential fight ender if it lands clean, where as a sweep gets points etc, but the goal is to injure your opponent to the point he is incapable of defending himself.

@j123

i got em both
TKTBS-078-front.jpg

TK-TBS-77.jpg

I have used it in a fight. I attempt the catch kick to pull knee counter. My opponent recognizes this and falls on purpose to avoid the hit. I decided to throw the knee anyways and just fall with him, I get a solid hit to the chest and then fall on him.

if it was full rules, i would have got him in the face, or at least tried lol

I would agree with everything J123 said and ill add my 2 cents.

theres several counters for every move, this is just one of many for a caught kick. The knee is the largest knuckle with the largest muscle, therefore the strongest weapon....plus my style is more muay khao...anyways......The idea behind it is to knee the guy in the face (full rules, body for other) or knee him in the face on his way down, much like a kick to the head on the way down...here in the states you can only take 2 steps with a caught anything, but in thailand, you can easily run with the guy and off balance them. The things you have mentioned are effective as well, and I have done those same techniques in fights as well. The right move at the wrong time is the wrong move lol.....i cant think off the top of my head but I have seen this done in thai fights before Im sure if we watch enough fights well see it again. I made that video a long time ago but check out damian trainor explaining something very similar in this clip. The sweep is there but i rather knee the guy in the face. its a potential fight ender if it lands clean, where as a sweep gets points etc, but the goal is to injure your opponent to the point he is incapable of defending himself.

That makes sense. I'd also like to note that I'm going senile in my old age or something, because I have seen a similar caught kick counter used a ton of times by Seksan Or Kwanmuang. His version is a bit more aggressive, Seksan just loads up and jumps right in with the flying knee to the body, it's one of his signature moves that you'll see in all his fights.

That makes sense. I'd also like to note that I'm going senile in my old age or something, because I have seen a similar caught kick counter used a ton of times by Seksan Or Kwanmuang. His version is a bit more aggressive, Seksan just loads up and jumps right in with the flying knee to the body, it's one of his signature moves that you'll see in all his fights.

That's a nuts fight. And that jump knee counter is pretty awesome.

I was taught this one before, it's a good move and you should always follow up when you get a chance to off balance your opponent (Shins right body kick), your grip on the leg looks good too, don't want them trying to push it through to get a dominant position in the clinch and maybe get you with an elbow on the way in........

yeah thats really similar, same concept or basic idea anyways, just a little different attack

Back