Catch Wrestling United III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you'll forgive a newbie question: BJJ schools are everywhere. Where do you even start to find a place that teaches catch wrestling?

Where are you??

St. Louis, MO.

My question was meant to be more general than "is there a catch wrestling school somewhere in my area." Is there a central resource for resource for catch wrestling? Any way of verifying a teacher's credentials, or a competitor's record?

No real place to go train catch wrestling in most areas. You're best off adding techniques to your game.

Wrestling related though not catch. Chael sonnen talks World Championships.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverag...-Chael-Sonnens-thoughs-on-World-Championships

Honestly get this man on ESPN and he'll get you to care about wrestling. He's passionate, explains how tough it is and doesn't mess around. It's the one thing that when I tell people about catch that it's not just submissions or like jiu jitsu. Wrestling on it's own is the hardest sport to be a top player in. Even if you're the best it doesn't mean you made the team. It's just one aspect of catch.

Last edited:
Wow....its seems like yesterday when I started the first CWU thread..

:tears up:

and after being banned 48 times, Im glad it still stuck around.

Also, who is this guy:

And where can I get this DVD?

Last edited:
St. Louis, MO.

My question was meant to be more general than "is there a catch wrestling school somewhere in my area." Is there a central resource for resource for catch wrestling? Any way of verifying a teacher's credentials, or a competitor's record?

In the west particularly but in the U.S. In general I would contact Jake Shannon at scientificwrestling.com, the ISWA at Welcome to Catch Wrestling Canada - Home of Canada's Premiere Catch Wrestling Clubs, Billy Wicks in Ashville NC, and in Europe/England The Snake Pit Wigan – Home of Catch-as-Catch-Can Wrestling | www.snakepitwigan.com

Does anyone know if there's catch wrestling or shooto in Mexico?
Last night our school (sambo) had a inter-school tournament against some wrestlers.
The gym is in Mexico City (Tlatelolco), and while it's a Luchadores gym, well, i was surprised to find out that they actually know how to properly execute takedowns and plenty of submissions that i've seen are characteristic of shooto or catch.

The gym is very old (70 years?) and the walls had many interesting photos. Seems like Inoki went there many times, because there's at least a dozen photos of him there, with many mexican wrestlers of old. The instructor there told me that he learned his sub-game from a samoan called Tulio Tulasiega or something like that, who apparently, learned catch/shooto from someone.

So i'm just asking this wondering if anyone knows how legit their lineage is. Because they sure can roll. They are no mat monsters by any means, but some of the guys i saw there, would smoke an average BJJ bluebelt.
Oh, and by the way, my neck hurts. Catch neck cranks suck (in a good way). They are incredibly effective and really throws off your game if you're not used to it.

And as a side note: They didn't learn submissions from BJJ, judo or sambo. They didn't even seem to know what sambo and BJJ were, other than some form of grappling.

Last edited:
Congrats to Michael Chandler on becoming the new Bellator Lightweight champion and beating Eddie Alvarez.

Chandler was a collegiate wrestler who's been training with Neil Melanson and the other coaches at Xtreme Couture.

Anyone know of any Catch Wrestling Schools in southern california?

Dont say Erik Paulsons CSW because his class schedule offers very minimal grappling classes and most are stand up classes taught by one of his friends(?) which i am not interested in.

Anyone know of any Catch Wrestling Schools in southern california?

Dont say Erik Paulsons CSW because his class schedule offers very minimal grappling classes and most are stand up classes taught by one of his friends(?) which i am not interested in.

After you go to CSW for a while you'll get invites more grappling classes I'm sure.

After you go to CSW for a while you'll get invites more grappling classes I'm sure.

On the time table there's No Gi Grappling, Catch Wrestling, and CSW Level 1 which is fundamental no gi grappling (positions, basic submissions and transitional drills). Plus I think there's an open mat during certain times of the day (might be included in membership, otherwise a flat fee if you're not a member) so there should always be opportunity to roll with other people some more.

But yeah, check out Sam Kressin - BjJJ blackbelt + Assistant Coach in Catch Wrestling (under Billy Robinson)

On the time table there's No Gi Grappling, Catch Wrestling, and CSW Level 1 which is fundamental no gi grappling (positions, basic submissions and transitional drills). Plus I think there's an open mat during certain times of the day (might be included in membership, otherwise a flat fee if you're not a member) so there should always be opportunity to roll with other people some more.

But yeah, check out Sam Kressin - BjJJ blackbelt + Assistant Coach in Catch Wrestling (under Billy Robinson)

well he has only one catch wrestling class once a week...his CSW I classes are like MMA type classes which is 3x a week and then he has BJJ gi 2x a week..

i cant go to his submission wrestling classes in the morning due to work/school

and im not interested in their stand up coach

i would understand if this was given at a decent price but its like 170 without a a year contract and i hate contracts.

I will look into sam kressin - but I imagine that comes with a a hefty price tag?

Might have to stick to BJJ/Muay thai places lol = )

Love those catch wrestling books though!!

Thank you guys for the information and help

I appreciate it.

well he has only one catch wrestling class once a week...his CSW I classes are like MMA type classes which is 3x a week and then he has BJJ gi 2x a week..

i cant go to his submission wrestling classes in the morning due to work/school

and im not interested in their stand up coach

i would understand if this was given at a decent price but its like 170 without a a year contract and i hate contracts.

I will look into sam kressin - but I imagine that comes with a a hefty price tag?

Might have to stick to BJJ/Muay thai places lol = )

Love those catch wrestling books though!!

Thank you guys for the information and help

I appreciate it.

Ive asked Josh about this and he says even the BJJ classes there are still heavily Catch influenced. I imagine they teach how to deal with BJJ more than they teach BJJ itself, though I could be wrong (thats just my speculation based on what Josh told me).

Theres Hayastan in North Hollywood too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back