Catch Wrestling United

Awesome, very informative thread.
Don't know much about catch, but if Sakuraba is out of it, it's cool with me!
I have a friend who is really into it. Glad to learn some more.
Sucks that Vince MacMahon basically broke it up (even if inadvertantly) for business.
My dad told me that back in the day they had what was called rough and tumble fights, which were basically like MMA, only a hundred years ago or more.
Anyone know much about that?

Anyone read Billy Robinson's book? very good read about catch wrestling, Billy Riley, snake pit etc.

Billy Robinson said he could take Karl Gotch any time when they sparred but he was humble and said he was past his prime.. pretty interesting, A lot of cool stories in his book, i'd recommend.

Last edited:
Awesome, very informative thread.
Don't know much about catch, but if Sakuraba is out of it, it's cool with me!
I have a friend who is really into it. Glad to learn some more.
Sucks that Vince MacMahon basically broke it up (even if inadvertantly) for business.
My dad told me that back in the day they had what was called rough and tumble fights, which were basically like MMA, only a hundred years ago or more.
Anyone know much about that?

That happened up until the 60's I think, then it died down when pro wrestling got big.. people wanted to see wrestlers like Gorgeous George.

Billy Robinson spoke about it in his book.

Anyone read Billy Robinson's book? very good read about catch wrestling, Billy Riley, snake pit etc.

Billy Robinson said he could take Karl Gotch any time when they sparred but he was humble and said he was past his prime.. pretty interesting, A lot of cool stories in his book, i'd recommend.

Just ordered a copy, should arrive in the week. I take it you are referring to "Physical Chess"? Looking forward to reading it.

Just ordered a copy, should arrive in the week. I take it you are referring to "Physical Chess"? Looking forward to reading it.

That's the one, I just wish it was longer.. read it pretty quick.

Very good read though.

Everything I've read suggest Gotch used to handle Robinson.

Very interesting about Billy and Karl

Anyone tuning into TUF to watch Shayna Baszler (only Female "certified" Catch Wrestler)? She had Josh Barnett in her corner on the first episode during the fight to get I to the house. Alot of Catch influence in this season of TUF thru Tate, Rhonda and there whole coaching Staffs and guest coaches this year.

Everything I've read suggest Gotch used to handle Robinson.

This is what Billy said.

"I could take him down and get behind him, and control the thing the whole time, however the 12 years difference in age between us made a huge difference
, Gotch was close to 50 so i'd be 34 or 35. I could have made him tap out in my prime but I had too much respect for him.

Get better at arm triangles.

Oh hey, nice constructive advice. Except it's about 10x harder moving the gi up than just an arm. They offer a lot more as resistance and I end up getting more of a crank out of it. Mind you I never really did any work in or against a Gi before.

I forgot a great sneaky choke, Gokor shows a kneebar on his leglock set, and there are Qbone variations too and still there are over 15+ Subs this vid. Hope you like it,
Just added a new cool front and back RCW Real Catch Wrestling CATCH-JITSU shirt to my spreadshirt store....all respect to my BJJ homies but
"Jiu-jitsu? no Sir, RCW! No Gentle style for me more like Catch-Jitsu! when I catch you, u tap What I Catch I Break!" available on my website, clicking the link over to my spreadshirt site just in case anyone wants to check out the tons of Catch designs I have

Oh hey, nice constructive advice. Except it's about 10x harder moving the gi up than just an arm. They offer a lot more as resistance and I end up getting more of a crank out of it. Mind you I never really did any work in or against a Gi before.

Gi or no gi, you only worry about the arm.

Get the position you want. Get ear to ear and rib to rib and drive your body forward slowly circling. It's about the arm, not the gi. You need to get to the point that you can use your clavicle to drive the opponents tricep in to the sweet spot. It takes more timing with the gi because it has to be perfect, but what's wrong with aiming for perfection?

Gi or no gi, you only worry about the arm.

Get the position you want. Get ear to ear and rib to rib and drive your body forward slowly circling. It's about the arm, not the gi. You need to get to the point that you can use your clavicle to drive the opponents tricep in to the sweet spot. It takes more timing with the gi because it has to be perfect, but what's wrong with aiming for perfection?

With circling they can just follow you, so you don't complete it against higher level guys. I'm trying to secure the head, put my head below the shoulder and body low, and tighten upwards while controlling the hip so they can't counter it. The circling method just hasn't worked vs higher level grapplers for me. They will hook the inside leg and turn in if and when any amount of space is given.

With circling they can just follow you, so you don't complete it against higher level guys. I'm trying to secure the head, put my head below the shoulder and body low, and tighten upwards while controlling the hip so they can't counter it. The circling method just hasn't worked vs higher level grapplers for me. They will hook the inside leg and turn in if and when any amount of space is given.

You su that's the issue? I've been seeing this finished at a very high level from knee on belly lately. Maybe your initial set up isn't correct.

Do you ever sit thru to head and arm/scarf position to finish?

You su that's the issue? I've been seeing this finished at a very high level from knee on belly lately. Maybe your initial set up isn't correct.

Do you ever sit thru to head and arm/scarf position to finish?

I mainly catch them while transitioning form side to side. Going from side, to N/S, to the other side. From top mount I have the same issue though when I'm rolling against someone in a Gi.

Billy Robinson's book arrived yesterday, I finished it this morning. A good read, but I feel he could have expanded on most of it a great deal. Worth a look though.

Thats great, i just got Say uncle! Cant wait to crack it open. Haven't read Billy's book yet.

Back