Catch Wrestling United

We held another test tournament for the California Catch Wrestling Association on the 20th. Great turn out and another step towards getting a whole season of tournaments going for next year.

Thank you all who came out and got on the mats this Sunday! It was a great turn out with a lot of great matches and great competitive spirit shown by all.

We really appreciate the support and look forward to see you all again at the next tournaments.

Winners for their respective divisions are as follows:
Light Women: Adelita McGrath - Team Thunder
Heavy Women: Vanessa Flanders - PKG
Light Men: Luis Quinones - 10th Planet HQ
Welterweight Men: Javier Garcia - CSW
Middleweight Men: Justin Shin - Brea Wrestling Club
Light Heavyweight Men: Bryan Clavacilla - CSW
Heavyweight Men: Erik Hammer - CSW

I thought that once someone is on their back the match is over back in those days. Why is the other guy even bothering with a keylock?

I thought that once someone is on their back the match is over back in those days. Why is the other guy even bothering with a keylock?

Maybe because his opponent, although on his back is not completely down on his shoulders. People took their pins quite seriously back then, or so I´ve heard.

Bottom guy probably posted on his forearm to forestall the pin, opening himself up for the arm entanglement.

Combat Wrestling, Catch Wrestling etc needs to create a single federation and talk with United World Wrestling.

Poor Barnett. It sucks when you get submitted by an inferior grappler, but it's happened to everyone at some point in time.

Great neck crank though from double chancery grip.

Someone the size of Rothwell who knows how to use his weight, it's game over for anyone he gets that grip on, and can turn them over.

Hey guys, can someone tell me how legit is tony cecchine considered in the catch world??

From personal observation I would say he does indeed have skills to provide.

Id say he's kinda like Scott Sonnon then; there is legitimate ability, but also economical with the truth and liberal with embellishment when it comes to self promotion (if you pay attention to that sort of thing).

Hey guys, can someone tell me how legit is tony cecchine considered in the catch world??
Not very highly....has been called out numerous times. Even been called out by people outside the catch world.

I think he learned some fundamentals of hooks but didn't train long enough to fully grasp them.

Poor Barnett. It sucks when you get submitted by an inferior grappler, but it's happened to everyone at some point in time.

Striking, size, especially getting stuck in the fence all factor in.

Not very highly....has been called out numerous times. Even been called out by people outside the catch world.

I think he learned some fundamentals of hooks but didn't train long enough to fully grasp them.

Yeah, there has been some controversy surrounding Tony, that is true.

I don't know about his competitive abilities or the entirety of his background in it but I'll say this: I think the Lost Art of Hooking DVD series is full of great information. He has an analytical mind I think when it comes to holds so he seems to have a good understanding of the principles and I found it to be very valuable.

I am embarking on a world tour of sorts this year teaching the deadly art of Catch Wrestling and I am doing it with the legendary Wade Schalles. Wade is a highly decorated folkstyle and freestyle wrestler who still holds the record for most pins in the NCAA. He also has experience in Sambo as well. We will be heading first to England and then coming back stateside.

If you've ever wanted to learn more about the style of catch-as-catch-can or just wanted to expand your BJJ/Sambo/Grappling/Wrestling knowledge and skill than you really don't want to miss this opportunity.
Details on the link below:

Pin and Submit Training Camps

I was just curious if anyone here knows if Matt Hume's submission wrestling class would qualify as catch wrestling?

Seemed to me like Barnett was defending it well, tried to fight the hands, but more importantly tried sitting to his ass and coming out that way.

Problem was, the fence stopped his retreat, plus Rothwell gets the head very deep in his breadbasket, just below the rib cage and he followed Josh's stalled retreat, running over him adding to the crank.

The choke seems similar to F. Shamrocks "Center Choke", but would like to hear more about the actual grip.

Last edited:
I am embarking on a world tour of sorts this year teaching the deadly art of Catch Wrestling and I am doing it with the legendary Wade Schalles. Wade is a highly decorated folkstyle and freestyle wrestler who still holds the record for most pins in the NCAA. He also has experience in Sambo as well. We will be heading first to England and then coming back stateside.

If you've ever wanted to learn more about the style of catch-as-catch-can or just wanted to expand your BJJ/Sambo/Grappling/Wrestling knowledge and skill than you really don't want to miss this opportunity.
Details on the link below:

Pin and Submit Training Camps

What are the rates of these seminars going to be? It seems like Catch seminar prices are like the first Gracie Jiu Jitsu seminars, expensive as hell..

So did Matt learn from Masakatsu Funaki, who learned from Yoshiaki Fujiwara, who learned from Karl Gotch?

Ivan Salavary's who trained under Matt Hume's is having another Sub only tourney.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 3
I was just curious if anyone here knows if Matt Hume's submission wrestling class would qualify as catch wrestling?

I would say yes. He learned a lot of submission work, to my knowledge, from training with Funaki, Suzuki, and Shamrock and also from fighting in Pancrase and training those techniques and philosophies. He was very much a shootfighting influenced fighter in his time. He's a part of the Gotch derived lineage from Japan.

Josh

Back