Catch Wrestling United

Happy 75th Birthday to Billy Robinson!!! To whom who don't already know, Billy Robinson is one of the very best Catch Wrestlers in the modern era, he is one of the remaining men that have trained at Billy Reily's Snake Pit, and has contributed immensely in training several mixed martial arts legends including Kazushi Sakuraba and Josh Barnett. He is one of strong forces supporting the grassroots movement to bring back Catch Wrestling. True wrestling legend!

Happy 75th Birthday to Billy Robinson!!! To whom who don't already know, Billy Robinson is one of the very best Catch Wrestlers in the modern era, he is one of the remaining men that have trained at Billy Reily's Snake Pit, and has contributed immensely in training several mixed martial arts legends including Kazushi Sakuraba and Josh Barnett. He is one of strong forces supporting the grassroots movement to bring back Catch Wrestling. True wrestling legend!

Happy birthday indeed. I have been watching all the vids of him on Youtube that I can find.

Sweet dude, get a book if you can. I'm about to crack open Say Uncle by Jake Shannon. I was supposed wrestle Catch rules today but my friend bailed on me! Would of be a great way to celebrate but oh well.

Sweet dude, get a book if you can. I'm about to crack open Say Uncle by Jake Shannon. I was supposed wrestle Catch rules today but my friend bailed on me! Would of be a great way to celebrate but oh well.

In highschool I did some pro wrestling training (not that it totally relates to the combat sport of wrestling) and had freinds who continued on into the indie circuit, so shooters and hookers like Robinson have a special place in my heart, with the tradition of tough, legit pro wrestlers as fighters being carried on by Sakuraba and Barnett.

In highschool I did some pro wrestling training (not that it totally relates to the combat sport of wrestling) and had freinds who continued on into the indie circuit, so shooters and hookers like Robinson have a special place in my heart, with the tradition of tough, legit pro wrestlers as fighters being carried on by Sakuraba and Barnett.
Thats great! I lived and breathed pro-wrestling until WWE changed and got stale for me at age 15 (2008). I still watch old matches and videos on rare occasion, but It still has a place in my heart. I grew up on it. Wrestling's history (work or shoot) is very interesting to me also. I love the larger than life atmosphere of pro wrestling and real wrestling is a really fun activity and I love all the moves and submission holds and there history.

Anyone catch the last episode of TUF last night? In the last minutes of the show, during the previews for next week Ronda and Dennis Hallman (they don't show his face) are face to face in an aggressive jawing session. Could be entertaining!!

Just liked to say. I'm elated to see new Rustam and Khabib (Sambo) and Josh Barnett (CACC) in the UFC now!! I think both can be really good for their respective sports, heres hoping! I was so happy to see Josh represent CACC on the big stage. By hearing him talking about Catch and notable wrestlers. Its nice to get more variety of grappling styles, especially when its youre favorite.

Catch Wrestling is the original north american submission style. This style needs a lot of development. You cannot develop this style whit history, books and videos. Catch needs an international federation with competitions and championships. Wrestling is very big in USA and CACC could be the first choice for american freestyle/greco wreslers interesting in MMA and submission. Starting whit USA Wrestling for example.

USA Wrestling were interested in catch competitions based on one of my sources, but for some reason wanted to rename it 'modified folkstyle'. This was some time last year before the olympic troubles came to light which is where their focus and priorities are going to be for quite some time to ensure FILA doesn't drop the ball again in the future. FILA cutting back on the wrestling styles it hosts also doesn't look good for Catch.

It will probably take private investment to get the ball seriously rolling before anyone like FILA or USA Wrestling takes a genuine interest. And by private investment, I'm thinking competitions that are promoted regularly and marketed properly, possibly with a pro sport in mind and with that something more similar in structure to MMA (rounds and time limits) than the in depth scoring of wrestling and grappling competitions.

FILA still support Traditional Wrestling, Pankration and Beach Wrestling. Catch Włrestling is the traditional style of USA. In my opinion is possible to create a torunament with pure catch wrestling for submission grappling and "rough and tumble" style like an amateur form of MMA. Similar to sambo and combat sambo.

Does anyone have an opinion on Scientific Wrestling/Billy Robinson's CACC certification courses?

Does anyone have an opinion on Scientific Wrestling/Billy Robinson's CACC certification courses?

I'm sure as far as legit Catch it's very good, I have an issue with how few actual hours it seems you need to actually progress. But again it's as Catch as you can get!

Just an opinion, I'm sure others will very.....

I don't think it's meant to be the primary method of training and instruction, but more like a grading or seminar you go to in order to have your technique refined and critiqued.

I'd expect that most of the beginners who take part come with a background in another grappling art, like BJJ or high-school or college wrestling, where they have suitable facilities and training partners, and their regular coaches, while not Catch oriented, can still help with technique refinement and much of the commonalities that style shares with Catch.

While it's not the most ideal training method, I doubt it's going to be guys who only train in their basement/garage with similarly inexperienced training partners.

It's to document, down to the hour, how much training you've had under the supervision of Billy Robinson. Grading is to do with coaching competency, not technical ability or competition success.

Would love to see Ben Askren do catch,His wrestling style would fit right in catch.Maybe with Barnett and Paulson.

Would love to see Ben Askren do catch,His wrestling style would fit right in catch.Maybe with Barnett and Paulson.

I think he's content in Wisconsin, and making a nice chunk of change with private wrestling schools outside of MMA.

He already has a Brown Belt in BJJ under a great instructor who has a great top
Game. I think he was at the Lions Den in AZ for
a bit, although still under the same BJJ coach.

The thing with Askren is he already has the wrestling and he loves BJJ, so I doubt Catch is in his future.

Title and some of you other guys might want to check out my Ultimate Kesa Gatame (Head & Arm) Thread, did a part 2 20min vid with 17 more subs and escapes

Back