Catch Wrestling United V | Page 41

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Bullitt68, Aug 20, 2013.

1. equus Horse Belt

equus
    I bet it was @TeTe

TeTe likes this.
  2. TeTe Senior Moderator

TeTe
    Sure, blame it on the mod who babysits all of the behavioral disorder posters.

3. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Josh I remember from the old Ultimate Grappling Mags back in the day they used to list places where one could get some cacc training. They listed a place named John Busto's Shootfighting here on Long island, ever heard of? Also whats the deal with Tony Nelson? I believe you have trained with him a lot. Is he coming to MMA? Curran Jacobs is another NCAA wrestler currently fighting MMA and flying the Catch flag.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  4. Josh Barnett Yellow Belt

Josh Barnett
    I've no idea about John Busto's on LI. Maybe it's still there?

Tony is focused on work, family, and wrestling still. I would LOVE to bring him in to MMA or at least get him doing some submission wrestling stuff as he is incredibly talented. I think I could take him far. Thing is though, unless a person is really driven to want to do it, passionate to go for it, I find that it is truly hard to get most out of it for the athlete. MMA is just too hard on a person otherwise.

Curran and Tony are like comparing apples to tomatoes - both fruit, but nothing alike. Tony is a 4x All-American, 2x NCAA champion. Curran sin't even a 1x All-American. Curran has some skills and certainly seems passionate about catch wrestling but I wouldn't make that a valid comparison at all.

Josh

WarriorMonk7 and dsdoubled like this.
  5. Josh Barnett Yellow Belt

Josh Barnett
    I am hosting another Catch Wrestling tournament February 18th in Orange County, CA.

Take a look below for details and even if you can't make it, please spread it around the 'ol social media circles.

6. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    You have been training Tony in some capacity for a while, no? I remember you mentioned something to that effect on a Podcast with you and Mark Kerr. I understand why Tony is still focused on wrestling, he still has a real shot at making the world team. He has freestyle wins over the current #1 HW Nick Gwiazdowski as well as all the other top domestic HWs in Zach Rey, Dom Bradley, etc. He faced the monster Turk HW (Olympic gold medalist) not too long ago and gave him hell. He is a monster for sure.

Also, you watch some of the older guys wrestle in their prime and its clear they have at least some knowledge of the more painful holds one can learn in freestyle and/or American folkstyle wrestling. I can recall guys like Dave Schultz, Mark Schultz, Terry Brands, and others executing some holds that would seem right at home in the cage or in a submission grappling tournament. Is this coincidence? Improvisation? Or is there more crossover than most people think between modern amateur wrestling and submission wrestling?

7. knoxpk Black Belt

knoxpk